BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
dg1719
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thumbs up Can we push back against 1 series annoyances?

I like my 2008 135i very much and I will keep it as long as I can. But BMW, with their strange way of thinking has built in some BS which I would like to defeat.
1.) Lack of a dipstick. Was the car designed for leisure suit wearers,
afraid to open the hood? Is there a way to add a dipstick?
2.) The new battery registration nonsense. Is there a something that can
be disconnected to disable this? Or how about an invention
that would install on the postiive battery post to protect an
unregistered battery from damaging excessive voltage?
3.) The ignition key chimes sound excessively pleasant, which I hate. If I
knew where the noise was coming from, I'd do something. Is there a
simple way to turn the chimes down or make it stop?
I'm betting that some of you agree with me.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
yawn
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Don't know if you can do much about point 1, but points 2 and 3 seem like coding issues. A BT tool would come in handy for you - albeit the cost.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

This is the first time I've read about issues with the "chimes." If that is indeed a large problem, then hmmm....
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
MrKepan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18MY M2 BSM 6MT

You can turn down the volume of the chime in the radio. Press the "music note" button and navigate to what they call it "gong". You can adjust the volume, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
jsmonet
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 x7 m50i

step 1: find a local who can code your hooptie
step 2: take off ya unnawares
step 3: ????
step 4: SEXY TIME
      01-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

You should join the BMW CCA (Car Club of America). The dip stick and run flat tires are favorite rants that show up in virutually every issue of the Roundel - the club magazine. My personal aspect of the dip stick is the 2 times I have changed the oil myself on my 128i, I added 6 quarts and checked it, like I usually do, and it read full. It is supposed to take 7 quarts. Is the sensor wrong? How do I know? Pretty hard for a dipstick to fail.

The BT tool will allow you to code for a new battery as long as you put in the same type and size. If you want to switch to a mat type battery or install one of a different size, then you want NCSExpert (available free). You need a cable for NCSExpert to allow your OBC2 signals to be transmitted to your computer. I paid about $100 for mine.

I believe another poster is right, you can adjust volume on the gongs without coding. Coding would allow you to turn the gongs off in some circumstances. I also coded to cause my car to unlock itself when I remove the key. You can change a lot of annoying things with coding. But you can't give the car a dipstick.

Jim
      01-07-2013, 07:55 AM   #7
That_1_Guy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
But you can't give the car a dipstick.

This is false.... I have seen plenty of rich teenagers given a 1 series for their High school grad, or 18th birthday. TRUST ME.... you CAN give a car a dipstick.

(This of course is loosely translated from the term dipshit)
Sold 2011 BMW 135i - COBB V2 AP / VMR 710's / 4" AR Catless DP / BMS Intake w/ Air Scoops / Eibach Pro Kit / MadDad Street Series Axle Back / ER Charge Pipe / BMS OCC / Vorshlag Camber Plates / Sammich Sticker
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Judge
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dg1719 View Post
The ignition key chimes sound excessively pleasant, which I hate.
Do you also hate the sound of a child's laughter?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
JTBMW1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 128i

The one that I for sure can't stand is the lack of dip stick. I like to see the oil level and how it looks after so many miles as a rough indicator- or if it turns a strange color which could indicate another problem. The only way to look at the oil is to drain it or remove the filter cover. First car I ever owned that did not have a dip stick. Don't like it at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Rogue1series
never thought I would go German
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i M-sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTBMW1 View Post
The one that I for sure can't stand is the lack of dip stick. I like to see the oil level and how it looks after so many miles as a rough indicator- or if it turns a strange color which could indicate another problem. The only way to look at the oil is to drain it or remove the filter cover. First car I ever owned that did not have a dip stick. Don't like it at all.
+1!!! I looked for days after I bought the car thinking: "there is no way in hell a car company would make a car without a dipstick to manually check the oil"

Well it turns out i was wrong, good job BMW i'm proud of you for this one....
      01-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

This is a nonsense post.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by e34m5 View Post
This is a nonsense post.
Agreed.

How exactly is this "pushing back" on anyone? Is BMW going to come to your house and fix whatever gripes people post here?
Isn't essentially this same motor in any number of BMW models? So there are millions of cars successfully running around the world without a dipstick. I agree it seems odd and I would rather have one than not but this thread isn't going to help anything.

Besides, isn't there a lengthy "minor gripes" thread from a little while ago that basically addresses all these items and more? (No dipstick, RFTs, cheap sun visors, useless cup holders, carbon build-up and as I recall the list went on and on)
      01-07-2013, 04:51 PM   #13
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
I talked to a BMW tech the other day concerning the battery coding. He said as long as your not switching to a mat battery you don't need to code it. I checked with the parts guy at another dealership I buy from and he said the same thing. White battery, no coding needed. Black battery, coding needed.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
I talked to a BMW tech the other day concerning the battery coding. He said as long as your not switching to a mat battery you don't need to code it. I checked with the parts guy at another dealership I buy from and he said the same thing. White battery, no coding needed. Black battery, coding needed.
I have read the opposite of this (on the internet, so take it for what it's worth). I've read that the charge profiles for new/old OEM batteries differs. I think you have to reset something in the computer so it knows that a new battery has been installed at the least so that it can modify the charging profile for it. The charging profile helps extend the length of the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #15
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

My car has naturally acquired some scratches over 82 thousand miles...why does this car suck?

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #16
dg1719
Rep

OK, a Quick Recap of the Responses

About half of the replies so far have offered good constructive suggestions. To you people, thanks. I will try your ideas. The other half of the responses imply that the problem is more with me than the car. To you guys, its easier and cheeper to fix the car than to fix me. By the way, I don't mind the sound of children laughing...It's when they get quiet that I know they are up to something.
My comment about the 'harp like' key chimes seems to be the biggest trigger of negativity here. Perhaps my use of the word 'hate' was too strong. But the sound of a harp would make more sense in a Lincoln Continental than in a screamng sports car.
Anyways, to those who like the chimes, here is a recording of a harp for you. A peace offering.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #17
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

The point about coding for the battery may deserve a clarification. You can put a different battery in your car, ignore coding, and it will work. The question is how long. The car charges batteries differently based upon their type and age. If you do not charge a battery properly, it will not last. There are horror stories about exploding but I do not think that is attributable to charging. But not charging batteries properly will limit their life, that is factual.

Jim
      01-08-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
kensington
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 135

Generally the batteries tend to last awhile. Mine is still original and running strong.

I do have a small gripe about the radio. It doesnt show a number to represent how high the volume is. It should say 0 for off and 50 for full blast. Sometimes you get blasted out when switching from a iphone to the radio.

The other small gripe is the horrible sunvisors. Their too small and feel extremely cheap.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #19
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Ok. I was a little tired and just went to sarcasm.

Honestly, Ive owned this car for nearly five years. I just cant be bothered to care about the little things anymore.

Are the sunvisors in my 135 of lower quality than my sister's Focus or my GF's Kia Rio? No. But its pretty close on both accounts.

Is the key annoying? Slightly, but its a hell of a lot better than many cars ive driven and been in, looking at you GM. And ive had it turned down as low as the head will permit for years.

The dipstick you get used to. I send all of my fluids out to blackstone, and there have never been issues with listening to the BMW service intervals. That being said since the car is aging and im driving my ActiveE to work every day now im probably going to shortchange the oil changes.

My battery is fine. It can still raise and lower the top on electronics alone - not bad for a 5 year old battery.

Minor grips in a car that I love. So I just dont care. Ive got bigger things to worry about.

Like what to have as a new DD? I really want a Fiesta ST, but am I willing to deal with another high strung turbo car? Am I willing to wait a year? What happens to the ActiveE at that point?

Find out at 11.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
There's a very simple resolution to all 3 of those. I'll tackle number 3 first. Try to find someone locally with the software and have them code this. I recall being able to turn the volume down on the chimes through the iDrive but I could be mistaken.

As for the first two... just drive the car and change things when the car tells you to. The car will tell you when the oil is low and when you need a change and when the battery is dead, just replace it with a BMW battery at the dealer. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind but it's worth it. I had mine for 3 years and changed everything according to the BMW maintenance plan and the car worked quite well.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #21
awns729
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i Convertible

For the record OP, BMW does send surveys asking about things like you posted. i recall seeing questions on how we liked run flats and other commonly complained abiut items. So if enough people dont like itt, its always possible theyll change it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #22
Section147
Good To Be Alive!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lotsa Stuff

Garage List
Appreciate 0