BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
voodoojar
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Help me decide

I know this has been covered before but im really having a hard time.

I'm in the market for a new car and after looking for months I've finally found the exact m3 ice been looking for, 2012 cmp 20k miles cost $45000. Yesterday I got news that a 1m was up for sale by me. I've always wanted one but I'm still having trouble swallowing the price $48000 with 35k miles.

So my question is whT should I do? I basically have one day to decide that's why I'm asking the Internet.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojar
I know this has been covered before but im really having a hard time.

I'm in the market for a new car and after looking for months I've finally found the exact m3 ice been looking for, 2012 cmp 20k miles cost $45000. Yesterday I got news that a 1m was up for sale by me. I've always wanted one but I'm still having trouble swallowing the price $48000 with 35k miles.

So my question is whT should I do? I basically have one day to decide that's why I'm asking the Internet.
Drive them! I was in the same boat in 2011. Had been wanting M3 for many years. Agonized for years but then I drove the M3. The shifter was not very good and somehow felt heavy and big. Went to 1M. I still see e90 m3 and like it and if I win lottery I'll buy one but after driving both the 1M was more fun around town. As far as cost goes you pay $45k now and it will be w worth 24 in two years. 1m will probably still be worth 38-40k in two years so really you should drive them. That settles it for me. I sold my first 1M and started looking again. I drove M3 again as well as m235 etc and went back an bought second 1m. Best wishes.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #3
Eyeman
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 135 blk, blk, step

Garage List
Different cars. I see you have an M5 now, are you gonna keep it? If so, for sure i'd go more different in the second car and go with the 1M.
Injen, RR OCC, MadDad Whisper, donut spare, 19x8.5et43fr 19x9.5et45r Volk LE37's, rear fenders rolled/pulled, PSS4S 225/35fr 255/30r, KW V1's, AR coated catless dps, Cross strutbar, CF grills and license plate holder, iCarbon diffuser, ETS black anodized FMIC, M3 control arms, Quaife, ER chargepipe, ForgeDV's, Topspeed Custom Tune, V3sims, Braille, Andrey_GTA rear hub mod, Ebay Mstyle front bumper and performance style side skirts.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

The M3 will depreciate rapidly before your eyes. Plus, they are extremely common, they are available for sale all the time. On the other hand, the M3 is probably a more luxurious and comfortable car than the 1M.

Assuming the M3 is a coupe, I don't think you will find the M3 to be any better at hauling things, and very little better at carrying more than 2 persons.

I'd get the 1M, or even consider a 135i, if you found a really good deal on one.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
balloonsalesman
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M BSM

I drove an e92 m3 dct shortly before getting my 1m. The v8 is obviously awesome, but as a daily driver I'm gonna have to side with the 1m due to the added torque, and overall size of the car. They are both among my favourite M cars, the 1m is just that little bit more exciting at lower speeds, and a complete riot at higher speeds... AND, it's holding its value big time. Makes it that much sweeter.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

1M Pros:
rare, valuable, fun to drive, insane torque
1M Cons:
"dude I love your M1"

M3 Pros:
V8, lots of creature comforts, comes with a set of flip-flops, a puka shell necklace, and a bedazzled dress shirt so you'll fit right in
M3 Cons:
big, heavy, eventually boring as a DD

It seems like money is also a concern. You'll have more of your $45-48k in a couple years with a 1M than an E92 M3. The miles on the 1M are 7k a year (5 year old car). That's not awful at all and it sounds like you won't accrue a ton as you have other rides in your garage.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 04:43 PM   #7
voodoojar
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Money is always a concern. I have a really nice e34 525 as my daily. My fun car was a 2014 650i that was recently totalled. This car will replace that. Ive decided on the 1m I'm going to see if I can make it happen tomorrow morning g
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 04:52 PM   #8
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojar View Post
Ive decided on the 1m I'm going to see if I can make it happen tomorrow morning g
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
ORA
Banned
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Money is always a concern. I have a really nice e34 525 as my daily. My fun car was a 2014 650i that was recently totalled. This car will replace that. Ive decided on the 1m I'm going to see if I can make it happen tomorrow morning g
WELL DONE!! hope it works out. the 1M is a very special car....i'd choose it over any M3 any day of the week...let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #10
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
I do not think you will regret your decision. Do keep in mind that your advice is coming from 1M forum. Ask the same question on the M3 section and you will get many responses waxing poetic about the siren song of the S65 engine...which has some merit.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 03:22 AM   #11
Goombeh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Little M, Fat GTR, Golf R.

Absolutely best advice, go drive them. You'd think that they would be similar, but they are so..... different to drive.

If I wanted an auto it would have been a harder decision, but I didn't. So it was incredibly easy.

And as has been mentioned, post this on the M3 forum and your responses will be of course very different, but take both sides with a grain, and feel the cars out.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 09:48 AM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombeh View Post
Absolutely best advice, go drive them. You'd think that they would be similar, but they are so..... different to drive.

If I wanted an auto it would have been a harder decision, but I didn't. So it was incredibly easy.

And as has been mentioned, post this on the M3 forum and your responses will be of course very different, but take both sides with a grain, and feel the cars out.
Yes, you will get different responses. Some of the M3 responses center around bespoke motor, nicer interior, DCT, carbon roof and M3 Cache. The 1M is more focused on the driving experience around town, excitement, smaller dimensions and rarity. Once you define what is your higher priority, that will point you in the right direction. As I said earlier, the M3 is an amazing machine and most of us picked the 1M over the M3 for various reasons. A few went back to M3 too but driving it is really the only way to know. I met a stunningly beautiful girl one time and asked her out. She agreed and we went out. While I was getting my wallet, she was putting makeup on the couch. She gets in the car and while I am walking around the other side, she has the vanity mirror down and is putting hairspray in my car (it was the eighties). Then we went to a movie and she goes to the bathroom for a long time. while I'm waiting for her, I see her at the mirror fixing herself as ladies walk out of the bathroom. When the movie is over, she takes out a mirror during the movie credits and is fixing herself in the dark. We were supposed to go to dinner after....we never made it. Dropped her off and never saw her again.... So the lesson is test drive!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 10:23 AM   #13
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I met a stunningly beautiful girl one time and asked her out. She agreed and we went out. While I was getting my wallet, she was putting makeup on the couch. She gets in the car and while I am walking around the other side, she has the vanity mirror down and is putting hairspray in my car (it was the eighties). Then we went to a movie and she goes to the bathroom for a long time. while I'm waiting for her, I see her at the mirror fixing herself as ladies walk out of the bathroom. When the movie is over, she takes out a mirror during the movie credits and is fixing herself in the dark. We were supposed to go to dinner after....we never made it. Dropped her off and never saw her again.... So the lesson is test drive!
Sounds more like an aborted test drive to me :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #14
RaceCarDriver
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB 6 speed

I had a 2008 M3 and currently have a 1M. 1M no contest, unless you need a bigger back seat.
Appreciate 0