BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-05-2014, 08:36 PM   #1
Tak3n
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Rotors wear is this normal?

I recently had Ferodo brake pads and a set of rotors installed on the rear (slotted & Dimpled). I've noticed that there is a bit of squealing during low speed braking.

what I have noticed is the new rotors have a different wear pattern to the old ones, and the pads don't come in contact with the inner most part of the rotor. From the first picture you can see a yellowish (rusty) line, where the old rotors (second picture) had contact to the whole face of the rotor.

Just wondering if this is normal, or should the pads be reposition to have full contact with the rotor surface?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Looking at the bottom RH side of your first pic, it looks like the rotor is sweeping the entire width of the pad (but it is hard to see - can you take another pic?)

But yeah normally most pads leave a lip on the outside of the rotor in my experience.

Maybe go to the ferodo website get the dimensions of the pad then measure your rotor? (your pads may be 35mm high and the rotor face is say 45mm)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 06:56 AM   #3
drjekl
Captain
Rep

I forgot to add when the pads are new they are chamfered then as the pads wear and the chamfer diminishes, that part of the rotor will start to slowly wear away as the chamfer becomes smaller and the surface area of the pad increases.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

All normal
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
Tak3n
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Looking at the bottom RH side of your first pic, it looks like the rotor is sweeping the entire width of the pad (but it is hard to see - can you take another pic?)
Yes, thats right, the OEM setup use to sweep the entire width of the rotor. The rotor surface actually has a concave in it where the pad contacts the rotor.

Thanks for your responses guys, the squeaking sound is still quite noticeable and I will try to wear them in more to see if the noise goes away as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 03:34 AM   #6
drjekl
Captain
Rep

Re the squeal, did you break the pads in as per manufacturers recommendations?

If so it's most likely due to the slotted/dimple rotor design (they're noisier then a conventional oem rotor)
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #7
Tak3n
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Re the squeal, did you break the pads in as per manufacturers recommendations?

If so it's most likely due to the slotted/dimple rotor design (they're noisier then a conventional oem rotor)
Yeah, after the installation we did two heat cycles to bed in the pads. They actually didn't make any noise for 1 day, before it started.

Haha Yeah its just looks nice, don't think it has any benefits seems like more down sides if it generates more noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
Ferodo DS2500's? They will squeal, it is normal.
Yep thats right, if thats the case I'm scared to install my front brake pads and rotors, as it will be like a music band playing. Front and back rotor pad squeal!

Last edited by Tak3n; 07-07-2014 at 07:58 AM..
Appreciate 0