BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-31-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
gtappers
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Great Ocean Road? (or similar road trips)

Hey guys..

I'm considering a solo road trip sometime in October for about a week and am starting to consider some options. I'll be departing from Sydney, and was thinking of making my way down the coast to get to the Great Ocean Road in VIC (never been) and then may be continuing on to see some relatives in Adelaide, before heading back to Sydney on a more direct route.

The trip is really meant to be about being able to enjoy the car to its fullest, but also getting some relaxation time at some points along the way to recharge my batteries. Of course, I'd also like to keep my license because it's a bloody long walk back home so some balance and caution will be needed; though some spirited portions are a must. ;-)

Anyone take in the GOR in this way, or have any road trip itinerary suggestions that balance vehicle enthusiasm with some relaxation?

Ta!

Last edited by gtappers; 03-31-2013 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

alik01 has done one recently our Melbourne trip so he might have some tips. I did one a few years ago, and from Port Fairy to Robe could be quite boring, but I certainly wasn't exploring the scenic road that day.

If I am doing the trip, I would go:

- Sydney Melbourne on the fastest route, overnight in Melbourne
- Melbourne-Warnambool the next day, get up early, take it easy, enjoy the scenery
- Third day would be Warnambool to Adelaide and go via Robe and Kingston, Port Fairy to Robe could be quite boring but coming in from Adelaide through the coastline you would be passing some amazing sceneries especially when you are going through the lakes
- Spend the next day exploring the Hills - this is for enjoying your car
- the one after to the Barrosa and Claire Valley, plenty of great sweeping bends on the way, and plenty of Road to explore whilst there
- two days to get home, if you want stay at the Lakehouse at Daylesford overnight instead of Melbourne, good roads around there, and to the date the best breakfast there
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
jubs
Rep
Drives: '06 Z4MR

The GOR route has fantastic scenery, but can be congested at times. You could also make your way through the Otways for a bit of a change of scenery, stop over at the waterfalls etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
MickyD
(Damned or Belated)
Rep
Drives: Le Mans Blue 120D M Manual

GOR has fantastic scenery, but you'll most likely be doing <50km/h the whole way. It's woeful for people meandering along at 20-30km/h in the windy bits then speeding up whenever there's an overtaking lane, all the while completely ignoring the turnout bays for letting people past.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:59 PM   #5
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I havent done the GOR, but have done the princes hwy from melb to Syd. Sydney to the sth coast is highly reccomended with some great roads bugger all traffic and no cops!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
gtappers
Private
Australia
Rep

Thanks guys! I'll definitely take this under consideration.

All options are open at the moment, and am even considering instead driving north for a few days making my way up towards Byron and back. :-)

Any other comments/recommendations are very much welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:10 AM   #7
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

If you are dring up North, plenty of options on the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast Hinterland and up the ranges. Roads around Byron is a bit random (pot holes), but it has been a while since we headed down that way, so the roads might have improved since then.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #8
david.orr
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Cars

GOR drive is over-rated IMO. However scenery and stops along the way is well worth.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
drjekl
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtappers View Post
Thanks guys! I'll definitely take this under consideration.

All options are open at the moment, and am even considering instead driving north for a few days making my way up towards Byron and back. :-)

Any other comments/recommendations are very much welcome.
You could do the oxley if you head north!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 03:47 AM   #10
gtappers
Private
Australia
Rep

Ooh.. I've never done the Oxley either. I wonder if going north is a superior option then... See, this is the problem. Every time I look at it I get overwhelmed by possibilities and never get a solid 4-7 day itinerary planned to balance awesome driving, some R&R and some nice views.

First world problems. :-)
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

You save 2 days of boring drive going up north. All the good driving roads are relatively clear on weekdays too up here.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #12
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

I'm not here too often anymore, but I thought I'd contribute.

Highly recommend it actually! GOR itself is pretty decent but nothing special - it's the little arteries that feed in that are truly special.

I also rented a Mini Cooper S to do it in and that was the key I think. Had a great little engine/gearbox combo. The limit of the car was so accessible that I didn't have to do crazy speeds to have fun. I didn't speed at all the whole time - believe it or not! Would have been boring in any of my cars...

Little towns are great too. Apollo Bay specially - stayed at Chris's on Beacon Point - truly spectacular thing to wake up to.

Great food, great views, great drive - what more could you ask for?!?!

If you need any specific info - more than welcome to PM me.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 02:57 AM   #13
gtappers
Private
Australia
Rep

Some great suggestions and more food for thought actually. Thanks all! Any more roadtrip suggestions are welcome though, because I'm sure there's going to be more than one opportunity. :-)
Appreciate 0