BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Motul direct injection fuel cleaner?

Hi Gang,

Has anyone used this stuff? I was over at my local (German) auto parts store today... and I saw they now sell the complete line of Motul oil and fuel products.

On the can of this F.I. cleaner is states it is designed for use in D.I. engines. I was just wndering what IF any products are people using for thier F.I. system?

I was also looking at Liqu Molly stuff... but they do not have a F.I. cleaner designed for D.I engines. So I bought this Motul stuff and will try it out. :-) Only cost 7 euros per 300ml can. I suspect the normal price is something like 15 euros though. My parts guys always give me great deals. :")
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 06:00 AM   #2
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Thanks TrackRat. yea... I know....

With past turbo cars... when I used chevon's Techron or even Liqu Molly... I could hear some engine ping. I have a feeling these additives lower the fuel octane.

I added one bottle to a half full fuel tank last night. I will drive until teh tank is empty. And I will take it easy driving. No V-max runs.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackRat View Post
FYI- Techron is approved by many Euro car makers including BMW. I doubt that it lowers octane as it's part of the additive package in Chevron pump fuels and purchased by other oil companies for their fuel additive. I have no info. on Liqui Moly.
All I know is... when I used it in my old 944 Turbo (chipped running 1.1bar boost) I could hear the engine ping as I rolled onto boost.

Also... when I used Techron in my old VW GTi and later GTi 16V (Golf II's) I would also get slight ping when I snapped the gas WOT. I just figured Techron must in some way lower the fuel octane. ???

All car had no ping when running only pump gas. Btw I was using Sunoco 94 at that time.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 12:04 PM   #4
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

I guess no one has used this stuff? I tried it but did not notice anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #5
hyper1
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013, Z4/28

motul

i use their products for a few years on the Ducati.
As fas as I know they always have performed well.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Triple M
Doc Rebel!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange M3, X5M, Blk 135

I wonder why bmw here in the states isn't reommended it on a regular basis (at least my dealership doesn't), especially since I have gone through bunch of injectors (even before any modification). Looks like it's time to give it a shot. I've used Chevron gas 95% of the time and Rebel (cuz they sell race gas), and yet I was going through them(mostly bank 4,5, & 6). Now I'm sticking with Shell only. I will wait till right before my next oil change. I wonder if it will also help the same injector issues with my wife's 2012 X5M. She's starting to get that shaky feeling you get before the injetors go out. Thanks a million for the great post.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
Maranello455
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 09'M-3,99'M3,02'M-3,88'M6,74'T

I have used in the past Lucas complete fuel system cleaner as well as Mobil's Techtron in an Active Autowerks supercharged and very modded E46 M3 and in a stock E92 M3 I had in the past,and heard also the engine ping in both engine. They do lower octane,dont know the reason behind this,but that was my experience when the products was used.

Last edited by Maranello455; 02-11-2013 at 08:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #8
JDelphiki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 TSM 135i

I used to work for a research institute, specifically their Fuels and Lubricants division. I did testing on injector flow, lubricity of fuel additives, intake deposit measurements of fuels. It was an interesting field.

We had a very simply designed injector flow apparatus that served as a way to measure injector flow as well as unclog the injectors mechanically by pulsing them rapidly.

It worked wonders on clogged injectors. A clogged injector might have a 50% flow reading of 80mL(as opposed to 160mL) on it's initial flow test, and a quick 5-15sec rapid pulse could clear it up almost completely. Sometimes it would take a combination of pulsing mixed with unrestricted flow to do the trick but I would say these methods worked on 80% of injectors in restoring them to 90-100% flow rate. Sometimes injectors were just in too bad of a shape to get back to 90-100% flow rate, due to wear or being severely clogged.

The injectors I tested were either brand new(flowed to record a baseline measurement) or had either simulated high mileage or actual high mileage and needed to be flowed to determine the effects of fuels and fuel additives on them.

I tested my brothers old car that was due for new injectors and sure enough 1 of them was leaking and 2 were clogged. I was able to easily unclog the 2 injectors but the leaking injector needed to be replaced because it wasn't just a simple O-ring leakage.

I've thought about building my own injector flow apparatus, but I don't really have any space in the garage atm. I'd say all the materials needed to build it would cost about 100-200 dollars roughly. 1 or two weld jobs required.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 01:53 AM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDelphiki View Post
I used to work for a research institute, specifically their Fuels and Lubricants division. I did testing on injector flow...

So you are saying that by pulsing an injector's duty cycle you can clean or unclog the injector without any special detergents/cleaners. ???
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
JDelphiki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
So you are saying that by pulsing an injector's duty cycle you can clean or unclog the injector without any special detergents/cleaners. ???
Yep, I wish I could remember what fluid we used for the testing. It was the same fluid to flow test as well as unclog the injectors. It'll come back to me...or just bug the heck out of me till I call a friend there.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #11
JDelphiki
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

The fluid was basically a base fuel without any additives, I think it was Heptane, but using regular pump gas would be fine if you were curious enough to build your own rig.

I think pump gas would be a better agent to use for flushing out the injectors because it was cleaning additives in it(most of them do anyhow). I'm sure these specifically formulated cleaners are effective when just flushing through the engine, but i don't think they'd come close to a pulsating flush method.
Appreciate 0