BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-28-2016, 09:46 PM   #1
Butters03
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw 128i

Loss of power when turning DSC off help

So tonight I experienced a odd situation.

2012 135. DCT with cat back, are intake and PPk stage 1.

When normal driving in sport or sport plus mode when I deliberately turn off the DSC partially or entirely off I notice an obvious reduction in power. Essentially its behaving like it's turning sport mode off.

To better try to explain this... We all know that say traveling at a steady speed of say 60 and turning sport mode ON there is a noticeable boost in power / acceleration. Well when I turn the traction modes off I feel the same effect except in reverse. Subsequently when I am in sport / sport plus mode and the DSC is off and turn sport mode on/off there no longer a power change. So it's almost as if it's turning sport mode off.

Is this normal? I don't like the idea of not having all of the available power just because the nannies are off. It seems counter intuitive especially if say you wanted to use launch control

Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #2
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

lololol

You DO have all the power, silly, DSC off just removes the sport pedal remap to make the pedal easier to modulate. It's 100% not an issue in the slightest. If you're asking this question and you can't tell you have the same amount of power I recommend NOT driving the car with DSC off or you'll get in over your head very fast if you're driving hard.Sport engaged with DSC off will keep your shifts happening super fast which is the only important thing sport actually does besides open a valve in your muffler for more of that sound.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #3
Butters03
Rep

Thanks for the info. I've had the car a little over s year and rarely drive like an idiot so im not fully familiar with the details of the traction system when off. All I noticed was a difference.

My last car that had decent power was a 330hp second gen mr2. No such thing as safety nannies other than your hands and feet. So in that regard I am plenty comfortable driving hard. Regardless the information is comforting and thanks for explaining that it essentially just took the pedal remap off
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 10:58 PM   #4
brocklanders
Major
Rep
Drives: the uno, mineral white

Garage List
06 325  [0.00]
What is "sport plus mode"?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #5
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocklanders View Post
What is "sport plus mode"?
He probably means shifter in sport + sport button pressed. There is no "sport+" in a 135 like in M cars or a Porsche.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 05:27 AM   #6
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
I remember a thread a while back with the same situation. I believe in the end they chalked it up to the throttle response. Since DTC and DSC are off the last thing you'll want is a touchy throttle. So it backs it off slightly. No loss of power. The computer just wants you to be safe.
      03-29-2016, 08:11 AM   #7
Butters03
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
He probably means shifter in sport + sport button pressed. There is no "sport+" in a 135 like in M cars or a Porsche.
that is correct, i couldnt think of a proper way to describe it so thats what made the most sense to me.

im hoping thats all it is although i have to admit i prefer the more sensative throttle response versus the dulled "safe" version.

Thanks for the input everyone
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 06:37 PM   #8
Andrewcoja
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i MSport

Just the throttle map. You can play around with it. Keep your foot at one throttle position and start pressing combination of traction control, sport button and sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
"Dynamic Stability Control"

Just because you don't notice slip, doesn't mean the DSC system doesn't either. It can detect and correct wheel slip without triggering the flashing yellow light on the dash.
      03-29-2016, 07:07 PM   #10
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber///Madd View Post
"Dynamic Stability Control"

Just because you don't notice slip, doesn't mean the DSC system doesn't either. It can detect and correct wheel slip without triggering the flashing yellow light on the dash.
Bro, seriously? Read the thread.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:12 PM   #11
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Bro, seriously? Read the thread.
I read the thread. The DSC system works with the DME to control engine output as well as brake bias and torque vectoring to keep the vehicle stable. Even if you turn the DSC off, it's still working, just at a lower rate. The DSC does alot more than just apply the brakes when needed.
      03-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I read the thread. The DSC system works with the DME to control engine output as well as brake bias and torque vectoring to keep the vehicle stable. Even if you turn the DSC off, it's still working, just at a lower rate. The DSC does alot more than just apply the brakes when needed.
With DSC off the car is still doing the "e-diff" and the brake magic to make your car not rotate on trail braking. That's it, and it's definitely not what the OP is talking about--you would know this if you read the thread because he says he has a "power loss" in DSC OFF with sport on over sport on WITH DSC ON, which would OBVIOUSLY be down to the different pedal map that's used when DSC is off. I don't even....
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:22 PM   #13
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
With DSC off the car is still doing the "e-diff" and the brake magic to make your car not rotate on trail braking. That's it, and it's definitely not what the OP is talking about--you would know this if you read the thread because he says he has a "power loss" in DSC OFF with sport on over sport on WITH DSC ON, which would OBVIOUSLY be down to the different pedal map that's used when DSC is off. I don't even....
You misunderstand how the DME and DSC work. I don't have time to explain either. DSC off is not DSC off. You can't completely disable it. You can pull the fuse for it, but you'll be put in limp mode for a reason.
      03-29-2016, 07:30 PM   #14
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You misunderstand how the DME and DSC work. I don't have time to explain either. DSC off is not DSC off. You can't completely disable it. You can pull the fuse for it, but you'll be put in limp mode for a reason.
Nah, I just explained how it works. That's funny that you have time to camp this thread but can't explain something that took me half a line.

To reiterate what I just said in slightly more detail:
--The car manages traction with the brakes DSC OFF...this is NOT traction control. The car will reduce engine power when it thinks the rear brakes have overheated from too much torque vectoring, but this is an entirely different issue and only happens under track conditions.
--The car manages braking across corners to keep the car from rotating on brakes. This does use the stability control hardware, but is stability control UNDER BRAKING ONLY
--The brakes also do a bunch of other stuff like change the pressure to try to combat fade, pre apply when they think you're going to hit, etc. NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH STABILITY / TRACTION CONTROL

Please, by all means deprecate my version of this info. By the way, all this stuff can be coded out. Here's the thread for that:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216642
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #15
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Nah, I just explained how it works. That's funny that you have time to camp this thread but can't explain something that took me half a line.

To reiterate what I just said in slightly more detail:
--The car manages traction with the brakes DSC OFF...this is NOT traction control. The car will reduce engine power when it thinks the rear brakes have overheated from too much torque vectoring, but this is an entirely different issue and only happens under track conditions.
--The car manages braking across corners to keep the car from rotating on brakes. This does use the stability control hardware, but is stability control UNDER BRAKING ONLY
--The brakes also do a bunch of other stuff like change the pressure to try to combat fade, pre apply when they think you're going to hit, etc. NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH STABILITY / TRACTION CONTROL

Please, by all means deprecate my version of this info. By the way, all this stuff can be coded out. Here's the thread for that:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1216642

You missed the entire point on how the DSC system uses and controls throttle position through the DME to control engine output, even when turned off. Here is a brief and not thorough enough explanation.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/02/06/wh...how-dsc-works/
      03-29-2016, 07:47 PM   #16
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You missed the entire point on how the DSC system uses and controls throttle position through the DME to control engine output, even when turned off. Here is a brief and not thorough enough explanation.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/02/06/wh...how-dsc-works/
Cool story bro. That link was pure air, and even though you've yet to add any new information to this thread despite posting 4 times in the last half hour, I'll keep my hopes open that you may yet provide us with an explanation for your claims. Wanna fill us in?
Appreciate 0