BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #23
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls View Post
At 150, it feels like it floats around a little bit... The somewhat quick steering doesn't help that either as it's easily to over-correct.
(Another reason to have Active Steering. Active Steering slows the steering ratio - slower ratio than standard steering - at very high speeds in order to make it more stable. Of course it also speeds up the ratio at very slow speeds to make it more responsive. OK, so I couldn't resist a plug for A.S...LOL)

It is soooooo easy to get this car up to, and easily past, posted speed limits. And not only does it just slide by the speed limit like teflon, but it does it in a hurry!
      05-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #24
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
At 150, it feels like it floats around a little bit... The somewhat quick steering doesn't help that either as it's easily to over-correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
(Another reason to have Active Steering. Active Steering slows the steering ratio - slower ratio than standard steering - at very high speeds in order to make it more stable. Of course it also speeds up the ratio at very slow speeds to make it more responsive. OK, so I couldn't resist a plug for A.S...LOL)
I don't believe the floatiness is due to steering. It's due to shock compression and rebound tuning. Maybe due to the RFTs, it's set more towards the comfort side, which means it gets a little "floaty" at higher speeds.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:32 AM   #25
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
I don't believe the floatiness is due to steering. It's due to shock compression and rebound tuning. Maybe due to the RFTs, it's set more towards the comfort side, which means it gets a little "floaty" at higher speeds.
Of course. But because it floats a bit the steering quickness makes it far more laborsome than my last car to keep it where you want it. My TT was so planted and the steering so precise that no matter how fast you were going you could thread a needle. The 135i isn't anywhere close to that. The heavy steering in the TT is fantastic at high speeds. I don't ever recall over-steering a [high speed] corner. I'm no where near as confident driving the 135i (thus far). Hopefully with some more high speed driving I'll get more comfortable with it.

I'm hoping my Z4 M Coupe [on order] is much more planted and precise in the steering dept... My bet is it's razor sharp! Haven't driven one that fast yet...but soon...
      05-30-2008, 09:34 AM   #26
forestjump
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Not compared to my TT. That car was rock solid at high speed and the steering was perfect. Note: my TT had KW V3 coilovers and the steering was modified to accept the original lower control arm bushings, which are half the diameter of the ones Audi replaced them with.
nor compared to my F1 car but thats not a stock £29k road car either is it :wink:
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:38 AM   #27
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Of course. But because it floats a bit the steering quickness makes it far more laborsome than my last car to keep it where you want it.
I hear you, and agree. But I think if the floatiness were fixed, the steering ratio would cease to be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 11:47 AM   #28
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by plien69 View Post
Uh oh... I see this is a misunderstanding of the posts. I agree that floatiness is more of a suspension dynamic!

But, to clarify the confusion, I wasn't referring to the floatiness. I was referring to the "over-correcting" "quick" steering attribute that he mentioned in his post. Active Steering can stabilize that type of situation, because it slows the ratio to one that is slower than the standard steering's ratio, when driving at high speeds. And, of course, A.S. provides faster response ratio at slow speeds. :smile:

Even if "floatinss" were to be eliminated, the issue of "over-correcting" the steering at high speeds is a seperate concern and is something that can still be addressed by A.S.
      05-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #29
imported_Captain Slow
Rep
Drives:

Just got back from my ED. We spent a lot of the time running over 100mph with a couple of blasts looking for the limiter. It was still pulling at 155mph when I ran out of room. Never got the chance to peg the speedo. It always felt quite stable but then the Autobahns a great roads.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 08:23 PM   #30
PA135i
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i 08 CR-V

128's cant go over 105.. hahaha ..just teasing. I know it's faster than my 325Ci. But I have a 135i on the way. Soon, I hope.. I hate this wait.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #31
Mad Dragon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 GTI

The limiter on a 128i is either 130 or 150 with the sport package.:wink:
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2008, 11:28 PM   #32
wrongprotocol
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i MT, white

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosse View Post
bski, I hit 100 twice on the way home yesterday. Have to love those parkways along the ocean!:wink:
i lived on LI until I was 22,...gotta watch out on Ocean parkway! those camaro cops 'll get ya!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2008, 12:30 AM   #33
bski
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Dragon View Post
The limiter on a 128i is either 130 or 150 with the sport package.:wink:
Get clocked in US even at 110 and its...
Appreciate 0