BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
premedsoccergod
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135

Unhappy Need advice: ticket and front license plate

Hey guys i recently got a ticket going 58 on 45 when traffic flow was 60 and when he pulled me over, he also wrote in my ticket that i needed a front license plate and that i didn't have my registration (left it at home for some reason)

My first question is, should i fight the ticket using ticket assassin or should i just pay up? should i just do the mail in contesting and get lucky? afterall i was going 13mph over speed limit but it pisses me off that there 2 other cars next and front of me going the same speed and i got the lucky ticket. Also if i fight a ticket and lose, can i still go to traffic school so it won't affect my insurance bill/go on my record or will i lose that privilege?

Second, how can i put on a license plate in front of my car without drilling in holes (is there a clip or something i can buy?) so after i show the dmv, then i can remove it easily without any damage?

Thanks for the advice everyone
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Alow
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E82 128i, F36 430i GC

not sure about the ticket.

But about the front license plate, I've seen a product that you screwn into the tow hook to hold the license plate. That works pretty well without drilling any new holes
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
whathappened
Banned
Rep
Drives: yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by premedsoccergod View Post
it pisses me off that there 2 other cars next and front of me going the same speed and i got the lucky ticket.
You were the lucky winner because you had an additional violation (no plate) and the others were just speeding. No reason to be pissed off at anyone besides yourself.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
SpaceGhost
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i xdrive

rho-plate dot com will have a plate solution

As far as the ticket, try traffic school. You can't claim a legal defense for doing something illegal by pointing out that others were also breaking the law. You speed, you got caught, that's life. Happens to me too but I look at it as the cost of doing business.

I use traffic school usually but I have used a ticket attorney a few times with success as well. Still have a clean record despite nearly 30 tickets over the past 25 yrs.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
Cisitalia
No fast lane bandits allowed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i TiAg 6mt M-Sport

You should consider your self lucky that you don't get a ticket every time you do speed. We all pretty much speed (some more than others) and getting caught once in awhile is part of the risk we take. The "others" were doing it gets you no where. So drop that thinking.

I pretty much was guilty of every speeding ticket I got. But that did not stop me from fighting it. For me, it's standard procedure to hire a traffic attorney for every ticket I get. My local attorney even has a frequent offender’s discount program.

My advice is get an attorney or take the class that makes it go away.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
oasis3582
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M40i

Traffic school depends on the state you are in.

As for fighting the ticket, no use. You were on radar, going above the limit. I know it sucks, but unless you can prove it was unsafe to go any slower, you will lose.
Previous: VW GTI, Tesla Model 3 LR, Mazda MX-5 RF, Ford Mustang GT (x2), Mazda 3, BMW Z4 sDrive35i, Acura TSX, BMW 135i, Acura TSX, Honda Accord Coupe V6, Acura RDX, Pontiac GTO 6.0, Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

http://www.motorists.org/fightticket/

Also, everyone who speeds in California better get used to getting a buttload of tickets. The legislature is considering allowing cities to add speed sensors to their red light cameras. So you would get a ticket for speeding though an intersection even if you do not run a red light. Our governor is the one promoting this bill so no chance of a veto. He sees $$$. A way to raise money without increasing taxes. Sometimes I really hate this state.

http://alerts.motorists.org/nma-stat...governor-wants

The best bet in the future may be to remove all plates (and replace the rear one with the dealer cardboard plates so it looks like you are driving a new car) and pay a fix-it ticket when you get one for no plates. It will be significantly cheaper then the speeding tickets from the cameras.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Fighting the ticket is a lot cause but I've seen several plate solutions over on e-90 post.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Go get an lawyer and it will go away, you want to save your driving school for a bigger one. For example if you are 40 over you get a lawyer to negoitate that you get off with driving school/fine. It is a card you want to keep in your pocket for as long as possible. Idk about cali but many times if you just show proof of the plate and go into court and talk to the prosecuting lawyer things will go away if you dont have a lot of priors.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #10
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Just stick the license plate on temp. using 3m dbl sided tape, write it off and take it off afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 02:09 PM   #11
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique14 View Post
http://www.motorists.org/fightticket/

Also, everyone who speeds in California better get used to getting a buttload of tickets. The legislature is considering allowing cities to add speed sensors to their red light cameras. So you would get a ticket for speeding though an intersection even if you do not run a red light. Our governor is the one promoting this bill so no chance of a veto. He sees $$$. A way to raise money without increasing taxes. Sometimes I really hate this state.
I know a lot of people in the rest of the country really wonder sometimes about Californians, you know, the granola state and all... I lived there 18 years so I don't have to wonder - but really - does your governator really think everyone there is a complete moron? I mean anyone who can be guaranteed the location and presence of a speed checking device - and still speed - deserves more than a ticket. And these devices tend to be relatively basic - I mean like a cheap used radar detector should alert anyone who forgets it's there... right?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:14 PM   #12
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
I know a lot of people in the rest of the country really wonder sometimes about Californians, you know, the granola state and all... I lived there 18 years so I don't have to wonder - but really - does your governator really think everyone there is a complete moron? I mean anyone who can be guaranteed the location and presence of a speed checking device - and still speed - deserves more than a ticket. And these devices tend to be relatively basic - I mean like a cheap used radar detector should alert anyone who forgets it's there... right?
seems logical but I can see a red light cam intersection from my office window and its going off constantly. This is a busy intersection and not people's first time through it....plus its a $75 ticket.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjean View Post
Most people don't have radar detectors, even cheap ones. If California carries through with this there will be a momentary spike in revenue for the state. Not that it will make a dent in our budget problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #14
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
seems logical but I can see a red light cam intersection from my office window and its going off constantly. This is a busy intersection and not people's first time through it....plus its a $75 ticket.

Man.... and you say NOT peoples first time through it... Sometimes you just have to wonder....
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #15
rsjean
satch
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by singular View Post
Most people don't have radar detectors, even cheap ones. If California carries through with this there will be a momentary spike in revenue for the state. Not that it will make a dent in our budget problems.
Seems like a pretty easy decision.... get a freekin radar detector. And no, there is nothing that will bail out California. It's too far gone. D*mn shame too. Used to be a really nice place.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #16
1seriesfan
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i & 2006 330xi

Garage List
1967 Piper Cherokee  [0.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
2011 128i  [0.00]
'88 Corvette: 35th ...  [0.00]
I was told once by a (very decent) County Boy who had to sign off on my warning (issued by a Local Yokel in a nearby city) to stick the license tag on using Velcro, then it was "officially there."

His method worked pretty well! He verified, signed, and of course I removed it again just after I pulled out of the parking lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #17
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

get a lawyer
      02-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #18
Jaguar66
M Power
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: '09 ///M-Sport 135i

!

Last edited by Jaguar66; 04-17-2010 at 03:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 09:04 AM   #19
NihonX
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VO 1M

You know, I have been pulled over twice this year, both were for speeding a bit over the limit.. Well, a lot over the limit. There weren't many cars on the road so it wasn't too bad.

Well, my plates are from New York and I've still not been asked about registering my car in California, even though the law states that I have 10 days from the point of employment or permanent residency here.

I am wondering if I would be pulled over for not having a front license plate?
Or would it be simply the fact that I haven't registered the car for California?

I am going to see how long I can go before I get pulled over and possibly a ticket. Wish me luck.
I will play the 'dumb' card. [("In New York we don't need front plates") Even though you do]

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 09:21 AM   #20
BlackFlash
poseur (for now)
Canada
Rep
Drives: a piece-o-crap

I'm not sure what the allure of straight line speeding is. I like to take corners and bends fast, but I'm not all that anxious to race down the highway at 140km/h instead of 120.

An interesting study:

http://www.marketwire.com/press-rele...ly-1109720.htm
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #21
singular
Captain
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i ppk cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
I am a bit surprised so many people are willing to give a police officer a free ride to pull you over for not having a front plate in a state that makes it illegal to do so, and in a state that is doing it more and more to enhance revenue, all for the sake of "it looks cool".

These type threads pop up more often now.

The onslaught of these redlight and speed cameras is worrisome. Talk about enhanced revenue. How many people that get cited (photographed) for going 27 mph in a 25 mph zone for a $40 (or whatever point is determined that people won't fight it) are just going to send it in.
I read recently that the cities in California that are currently using speed cameras are only issuing tickets at 15mph above the limit.

I can live with that.

Maybe they'll catch some of the same bozo's that run red-lights around here.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #22
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobMason View Post
I am a bit surprised so many people are willing to give a police officer a free ride to pull you over for not having a front plate in a state that makes it illegal to do so, and in a state that is doing it more and more to enhance revenue, all for the sake of "it looks cool".

These type threads pop up more often now.

The onslaught of these redlight and speed cameras is worrisome. Talk about enhanced revenue. How many people that get cited (photographed) for going 27 mph in a 25 mph zone for a $40 (or whatever point is determined that people won't fight it) are just going to send it in.
Why should we have to molest our cars by drilling holes to mount a front plate? I know there are other options, but I still don't like them. Plus, we don't want to block any airflow to the intercooler. Maybe it wouldn't be as big a deal if we used Euro style plates that fit the front bumper much better instead.

It's not likely that photo radar will be snapping pictures and issuing tickets for only 2MPH over the limit. Not all speedometers are calibrated the same, so there has to be some level of flexibility before it is decided that a vehicle was indeed speeding.