BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-11-2014, 12:51 AM   #1
Rub10s
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: -

N55 Clutch stuck / slipping / ??

Here is what I'm experiencing:

1. WOT
2. RPM goes through the range, but the MPH just sits at about 40.
3. Back off throttle because WTF is going on
4. Engage super burnt clutch smell

Just had this happen for the 4th or 5th time tonight.

All the other times it's been after I've made a quick U turn, or taken a turn rather quick. I don't get the TCS light or anything, but it feels like the car is trying to hold me back. I've tried to repeat after holding the traction button for 10 seconds and it's never happened.

I'm not on clutch pedal at all, but based on the smell it sure smells like the clutch is burning. There is no smell from the rear, it's all from the front.

Tonight it was after I took a turn pretty slow, then revved to about 4k and dropped the clutch on 2nd in a straight line. Turbo spooled, and the RPMs range through the range, but the MPH wasn't going anywhere. After I stopped, Poof awesome burned clutch smell. I swear I'm not sitting there on the clutch pedal!

This was with my jb4 in map 5 running about 95ish octane. 2012 E88 6mt with 21k miles.

Do I suck at driving? I've never had a car do this to me... Anyone else gotten this?

Last edited by Rub10s; 10-11-2014 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 01:10 AM   #2
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

i had a new clutch at 40k miles...same thing was happening on wot in 1st 2nd 3rd
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Why are you revving and dumping the clutch after going around a corner? Or do you mean you are trying to rev-match downshift on the straight? Downshift appropriately before corner entry. What speed were you trying to dump into 2nd on? This is where your clutch smell is coming from IMO.

Unless your engine speed needs to be at 4k going into 2nd, you're also placing a lot of load on your synchros.

Sounds a lot like traction control cutting power once the clutch grabs, but you said the light never flashes. I've never had the engine hesitate on a slipping clutch, it always free revs. The likely possibility is your engine speed is too high for your wheel speed, and then since you floor it you're forcing the situation. Again, not good.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 10-11-2014 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #4
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Why are you revving and dumping the clutch after going around a corner? Or do you mean you are trying to rev-match downshift on the straight? Downshift appropriately before corner entry. What speed were you trying to dump into 2nd on? This is where your clutch smell is coming from IMO.

Unless your engine speed needs to be at 4k going into 2nd, you're also placing a lot of load on your synchros.

Sounds a lot like traction control cutting power once the clutch grabs, but you said the light never flashes. I've never had the engine hesitate on a slipping clutch, it always free revs. The likely possibility is your engine speed is too high for your wheel speed, and then since you floor it you're forcing the situation. Again, not good.
Agreed, gear should always be engaged prior to entering the corner. Avoid dumping if possible.

When i say i was experiencing similar problems with my previous clutch I was referring to the free revs like ShocknAwe mentioned also, which is normally the clutch slipping. I had a new clutch and flywheel and this was because my engine was free revving yet not putting any power down if that makes sense, during straight run wot's
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
Rub10s
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexc93 View Post
Agreed, gear should always be engaged prior to entering the corner. Avoid dumping if possible.

When i say i was experiencing similar problems with my previous clutch I was referring to the free revs like ShocknAwe mentioned also, which is normally the clutch slipping. I had a new clutch and flywheel and this was because my engine was free revving yet not putting any power down if that makes sense, during straight run wot's
I just reread what I wrote and I was incorrect. The revs would continue to rise, but the MPH stayed the same. Seems much more like the clutch. Kinda annoying for only 21k miles I'm under warranty, but I doubt they will honor it since I believe my car has a flash tune from the previous owner.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #6
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

If your revs climb but your speed does not, your clutch is slipping. Sorry to hear it man!

Still, I think you may be abusing your clutch. It's possible it won't slip if you engage it normally (unlikely, but worth a shot). Try that same corner, downshift at the right rpm before the corner and blast out the other side. See if it still slips. You can downshift properly after the corner too just to WOT it down the straight. Just no dumping of the clutch at weird RPMs.

Another note: Launching only works for manual transmissions in 1st gear from a STOP. Any other gear will burn your clutch to hell and back.

Also another way to test it, put in 6th gear low speed, say 45 mph. Then use full throttle, does the tach climb freely?

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 10-11-2014 at 05:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
edisapimp
Civil Rights Activist
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 Sedan, E88 Vert

Your clutch is slipping.

Drive normal until you can get it replaced.

By "drive normal" I mean stop driving like Nigel Mansell.

E88 Crimson Red Vert MSport 6MT - Listing your mods in your signature is lame.
BMS DCI/MHD E30 Flash!!/AA Sport FMIC/VRSF CP w Tial BOV/VRSF 3" DPs/550i clutch w SPEC SMFW/Apex EC-7s/Whiteline RSFB/E92 M3 FCAs/Bilstein B12 Pro Kit/VRSF inlets
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:45 AM   #8
Rub10s
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
If your revs climb but your speed does not, your clutch is slipping. Sorry to hear it man!

Still, I think you may be abusing your clutch. It's possible it won't slip if you engage it normally (unlikely, but worth a shot). Try that same corner, downshift at the right rpm before the corner and blast out the other side. See if it still slips. You can downshift properly after the corner too just to WOT it down the straight. Just no dumping of the clutch at weird RPMs.

Another note: Launching only works for manual transmissions in 1st gear from a STOP. Any other gear will burn your clutch to hell and back.

Also another way to test it, put in 6th gear low speed, say 45 mph. Then use full throttle, does the tach climb freely?
I tried the 6th gear thing today at 45mph and the RPMs did not climb freely.

I'm taking the car to the dealer for regular service next week anyways, I'll mention this. Will definitely take off the JB4 first
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 12:09 PM   #9
Freon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Your clutch is almost certainly toast. That's almost never covered by any sort of warranty, so be prepared to pony up for a replacement regardless of you having aftermarket parts.

How long the clutch lasts has everything to do with your driving habits.

If you are on the edge of the clutch being toast the 6th gear test may or may not fail to hold. It could also depend on if the car is warm or cold, etc. I'd say your description is enough to determine your clutch is done.
      10-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
I tried the 6th gear thing today at 45mph and the RPMs did not climb freely.

I'm taking the car to the dealer for regular service next week anyways, I'll mention this. Will definitely take off the JB4 first
Just means your clutch is holding a little, as in not completely gone yet. It sounds like it's well on it's way though. You probably won't be able to get it covered. I'd just upgrade to something more capable while you're in there.

Edit: just saw Freons post.
      10-13-2014, 01:14 PM   #11
Rub10s
Enlisted Member
Rep

Guess it's time for an ACT clutch! I'll try and hold out until I'm out of warranty, just so they can't claim replacing the clutch broke anything else.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 01:34 PM   #12
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Guess it's time for an ACT clutch! I'll try and hold out until I'm out of warranty, just so they can't claim replacing the clutch broke anything else.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Replace it now if it needs to be replaced.