BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #23
sixburgh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i 6 MT BMW PE

I do, too. Is it a motorsport color?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #24
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

its le mans blue
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #25
Berardi3
Private
Rep
Drives: Mustang cobra 1993

Well in 2006 had an Audi A 4 nothing but problems with oil consumption finished that lease and wanted to be conservative bought a Suzuki sx4 and again nothing but problems but worse bad abs module new ac compressor now it needs a new engine only 27 k miles
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
Berardi3
Private
Rep

Lemans blue is a nice color
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #27
cvandenhaute
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW 128i, '19 Genesis G70

With 4 years free maintenance, I don't think the 128i will be overly expensive to maintain, after it is another story.
I agree on 6MT and sport (or M-sport) package, not sure about Xenons since standard halogen work great (better than the Xenons of my '08 VW R32).
As for cost, I really lower my overall costs compared to my former '08 VW R32 : maintenance, gas, insurance and monthly payment are much better! But the R32 wasn't meant to be a cheap car neither...
The 128i with a manual gear is a very involving car, I took it over a bunch of more powerful car because the "real world fun to drive" it brings (I do not track it, at least for now). What I like even more is that it seems to get better as time goes by (is it the break in), I am now over 5500 miles and I feel the car so much better than at the very beginning, did not have that with previous ones. Same for gas mileage, it increased with time (not a lot but still).. I wish it was a bit louder, I am still on the verge for a Performance Exhaust...
      01-16-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
Berardi3
Private
Rep

I know it maybe be costlier but I just like the looks performance and I can go on and on I have always wanted bimmer since 1996 wish I got that m3 but that was then.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #29
M128i NY
128i 6MT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Blk/Blk 6MT Sport

Nicee I should be able to pick mine up on wednesday hopefully. I am leasing a 128i Jet Black on Black leather. 6MT, Sport Package, heated seats, moonroof.

Cnt wait to get it already...just wish they would come out with a decent tune for it =(
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #30
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: IS 300

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
^ This guy hangs around just to complain about his car every chance he gets. It's kind of weird. Don't mind him, though.

FWIW, I'm not aware of any 128i's that have had serious problems. There are some that eventually develop a ticking sound - some folks have had their lifters replaced under warranty. I think it mainly affects earlier builds. The 135i's have the HPFP issue, but it seems to be sort of hit or miss.

I personally have had zero problems in just under a year of ownership. Not saying much, of course - but this car certainly hasn't been any LESS reliable than normal, IMO.
Ok I have 1 question, Do u have a indent on ur foam dashboard on the passenger side where the air bag is???

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmojo View Post
LOL.. A hater at work told me "Buncha Money Wasted" is what it stood for. Another dude with a mini coop told me "British Motor Works".
Uhh its true the worst customer service I have dealt with in my whole life... BMW NA has a bunch of morons running it... I don't care what anyone says but when you are featured on NBC or ABC what ever station it is, u are doing something wrong... The CEO of BMW didn't even car about peoples safety... Ya BMW a great company.....

My 135i has had every problem in the book... The 128 might be less complicated but good luck...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson

Last edited by NewYearsBoy; 01-16-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 09:46 PM   #31
roo97ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6M, Tesla Plaid, MYP, Ram

if you're buying a car to keep forever, the BMW is probably not the way to go.

Every car, new or old will have minor issues.

I don't think bmw is that much better than say gm/ford (where quality control has gotten much better) as far as breaking in the first 50k miles or so. still if longevity was something i was after i'd probably end up in a toyota or nissan (lexus/infiniti) though they too have some issues as well (for ex, 3.5 lexus all get valve springs replaced on them as a recall, that's pretty major tearing into your motor)

In general the car is a great driver and will be more involving that nearly everything else out there, right now. Each generation of BMW the driving experience is diluted down and they are smoother, quieter, and a bit less involving, but still better than the majority of the industry.

In a 128 if you're not going to do much modding then you must get sport package, it will handle better and i find the seats much better than non sport cars. It's not cheap but to me worth it. It's tough, because imho the seats are worth it, but if you were serious about driving hte car and maybe even tracking it, the stock even sport suspension is quite soft (great for a sport luxury coupe, but it's not a sports car) and you would probably want to upgrade it.
      01-17-2011, 01:45 AM   #32
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Ok I have 1 question, Do u have a indent on ur foam dashboard on the passenger side where the air bag is???
No, not yet at least.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 02:02 AM   #33
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep

yea... but im the only person whos noticed it. I think it looks god awful, but no one has noticed (or at least said somethign to me about it). 19k on the car
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #34
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

My car is a '08 CPO car and, according to the BMW service records, it's only ever been in the shop for the normal maintenance and recall/TSB items (tail lights comes to mind), including the time I've had it (5,000 miles in two months). Amazingly, there are no squeaks, creaks, or rattles in the car, either. There is a strange clunk coming from the rear of the car when hitting some bumps, but I'll sort that out with the service dept. in the spring when I have time to take my service advisor for a ride and demonstrate the noise since the dealer can't seem to replicate it (in fairness, it's not constant). I previously had a '08 VW R32 and then a VW Jetta TDI (great fuel economy, but not particularly fun to drive) but decided it was time to pick up something fun again. Never really considered the 1-series before, until I saw how cheap CPO 1-series are!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:48 AM   #35
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
No, not yet at least.
Again ur lucky.. In FL I go to school all day I have tint in it now so it sould protect the inside of the car...

But do you think the dash should cave in on a brand new (2010) $40K+ BMW??

And shit that is the least of my problems^^^ I have to worry about the car just starting... Haha...

"Speed never killed anyone its very important to get that straight, Speed has never killed a soul. Suddenly becoming stationary thats what gets people." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 09:54 AM   #36
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
My car is a '08 CPO car and, according to the BMW service records, it's only ever been in the shop for the normal maintenance and recall/TSB items (tail lights comes to mind), including the time I've had it (5,000 miles in two months). Amazingly, there are no squeaks, creaks, or rattles in the car, either. There is a strange clunk coming from the rear of the car when hitting some bumps, but I'll sort that out with the service dept. in the spring when I have time to take my service advisor for a ride and demonstrate the noise since the dealer can't seem to replicate it (in fairness, it's not constant). I previously had a '08 VW R32 and then a VW Jetta TDI (great fuel economy, but not particularly fun to drive) but decided it was time to pick up something fun again. Never really considered the 1-series before, until I saw how cheap CPO 1-series are!
Another person.. No problems no squeaks.. Really?? I know the arm rest is the same in the 135i and the 128i... So when you put your arm on the arm rest and drive down the road it squeaks like crazy...

Im just saying people pride BMW on great engineering and they can't even make a damn arm rest... I don't know why they couldn't have just put the 3 series arm rest in the 1....

PS- I have been fighting with BMW NA for 6 months and they told me I have had normal maintenance...

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #37
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoutnj89 View Post
Another person.. No problems no squeaks.. Really?? I know the arm rest is the same in the 135i and the 128i... So when you put your arm on the arm rest and drive down the road it squeaks like crazy...

Im just saying people pride BMW on great engineering and they can't even make a damn arm rest... I don't know why they couldn't have just put the 3 series arm rest in the 1....

PS- I have been fighting with BMW NA for 6 months and they told me I have had normal maintenance...
No problems, no squeaks...really. I've had many VWs/Audis so I'm VERY familiar with squeaking, creaking, and rattling interiors. If my 1er had them, I'd notice. You bring up the armrest. If I rest my arm on it, it does creak. It's not really in the correct position for me to comfortably use it anyway, so it's not a problem for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 11:10 AM   #38
NewYearsBoy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
No problems, no squeaks...really. I've had many VWs/Audis so I'm VERY familiar with squeaking, creaking, and rattling interiors. If my 1er had them, I'd notice. You bring up the armrest. If I rest my arm on it, it does creak. It's not really in the correct position for me to comfortably use it anyway, so it's not a problem for me.
So it does squeak... Its an issue but it doesn't bother u... Thats fine.. But a lot of people with BMWs just accept the issues (Bad Design) that come with them...

I knew I was going to have problems when I was in service and a guy pulls up in the new 5 series... I was talking to him and he was a Dr, he just got his car 2 weeks ago and the dash wouldn't light up... I was thinking wow this is embarrassing for BMW... But of corse the guy couldn't have cared less...

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #39
Wakka
but no flokka
United_States
Rep

nah my armrest does not make a peep. a mouse could be louder, true story. Maybe if someone REALLY put a lot of weight into it... but i think that would be their fault not BMWs
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2011, 04:44 PM   #40
PITA
Rotarys rule
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Cab

Having tested a 128i with and without the sport package, as well as a 135i, I opted for the 128i without the sport package. The ride was just too stiff for a non sports car IMO.

I will be buying non RFTs soon as well.
      01-18-2011, 01:06 AM   #41
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

whatever 128i you get, get M-sport!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #42
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
whatever 128i you get, get M-sport!!!
1+
      01-18-2011, 10:08 AM   #43
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Sport pack is an absolute must, other than that it depends on what you want, I have a black on black 128i, its a hoot to drive!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #44
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

I happen to like my choice of 128i build specs. I think it addresses all the basic needs with a few luxuries and still keep the price low.

MSRP was $36,370.00 ( without the additional options )

extremely happy with all my choices considering budget / wants and needs.

128i ( 2011 )
Msport
Msport suspension
no premium package ( i hate BMW sunroofs)
Cold weather package ( for the ski bag option so i can put my fishing poles thru the hole
Heated seats
Manual leather sport seats
No nav
BMW assist ( so you can have bluetooth)
usb / ipod
xenons w/ headlamp washers
Msport sterring wheel w/ paddles ( as i have an auto)
Rubber mats
Alpine White / Black interior
transmission >>> your preference <<<<

additional options:

BMW perf Brake kit
BMW perf Intake
135 trunk lip spoiler
winter wheels and tires
Track wheels and tires
M3 vert front sway bar ( not on car yet)
pulled pins on front struts / maximized alignment as best possible
Motul rbf 600 brake fluid
Tinted windows ( legal, just enough to highlight the black trim )
black painted exh tips

enjoy your selection ....