BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #23
doublevanosrc
Loves his G20
Rep
Drives: 2020 330ix M sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GO135i007 View Post
If you were worried about electrical issues a VW is not the way to go. Notorious for electrical problems. That's coming from someone that's owned 3 now.
I had my GTI for 2 years(25k miles) and it gave me no problems besides a CEL light. My only beef with the car was the a/c, it would blow warm air unless it was at highway speeds. Here in Texas it gets hot too hot.

2020 330ix-Msport
Past-
2013 135i
2011 135i
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #24
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emac08 View Post
lol. you are right.... hahahha plus averaging 21 miles to the gallon was getting to me i downgraded to none of the above cars mentioned
you're 135 was gorgeous though!
      06-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #25
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie135Hi View Post
Ouch. Did you get that feeling from the members on this board, or in the general public? As a quick note, I was actually looking at a Chevy Volt at the same time I was shopping for the 135. Pretty neat car really...
General public, also from my friends that are Bmw salesman who tells me that a lot of pricks just walk in and act like their shit doesnt stink. Also for the enterprise guys that gives me a free upgrade from their base cobalt loaners all the time because I dont go to them: I drive a bmw I cant drive a shitbox as a loaner(Most customers bitch when they get to drive a civic cobalt for a day). I don't buy a car for the badge but for what it offers me. The 135 has a lot to offer, even if I sold mine, I would rebuy one anyday and recommend it to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 01:11 AM   #26
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basheezy View Post
True. GTI is still a nice car. Also, 21mpg is bad? lol. I always thought that was pretty good for the performance this car has. I actually average 22-23mpg
Yeah, however even when I'm not driving with all the performance potential, I still only get about 21-23mpg.
If we drove our 135i's at their full performance level every day we'd be seeing 15mpg.

I'm starting to think that 2.0 liter, 4cyl turbo's may be the way to go.
BMW has learned something from Audi/VW.

Last edited by RPM90; 06-04-2011 at 01:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtla4 View Post
The 135 has a lot to offer, even if I sold mine, I would rebuy one anyday and recommend it to anyone.
But you didn't.

I like the GTI.
I can't wait to see the new Golf R. It's on my list for next car, next year.
266hp/258lb ft, AWD. Mmmmm....sounds good.
Too bad the new Sirocco won't be coming to the US. It's a beauty.

Last edited by RPM90; 06-05-2011 at 12:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #28
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
But you didn't.

I like the GTI.
I can't wait to see the new Golf R. It's only my list for next car, next year.
266hp/258lb ft, AWD. Mmmmm....sounds good.
Too bad the new Sirocco won't be coming to the US. It's a beauty.
I like trying different cars I could have kept the 1er it had 15K miles but mehh my brother has a gli and I liked it and I always dreamed of owning a red GTI since the MK2(still my dream car) so I bought one. I will probably buy an R and sell the GTI this fall

Quote:
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:09 AM   #29
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I like trying different cars I could have kept the 1er it had 15K miles but mehh my brother has a gli and I liked it and I always dreamed of owning a red GTI since the MK2(still my dream car) so I bought one. I will probably buy an R and sell the GTI this fall
I thought the R was supposed to be available by now.
Did that change?

I keep a look out at my local VW/Audi dealer as it's on my way to work.
Haven't seen one yet though, but maybe the release has been delayed.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 12:50 PM   #30
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I thought the R was supposed to be available by now.
Did that change?

I keep a look out at my local VW/Audi dealer as it's on my way to work.
Haven't seen one yet though, but maybe the release has been delayed.
Spring 2012 is the release date (at least canada). My guess would be that the US get their version at the same time. So far nobody as seen the North american version of this car.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 12:28 AM   #31
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i sold / 08 E90 M3 sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO135i007 View Post
If you were worried about electrical issues a VW is not the way to go. Notorious for electrical problems. That's coming from someone that's owned 3 now.
you thats what i thought... but then i was looking up reviews on the vw mk6 forums as well as via consumer reports and both pointed towards the mk6 to be a new breed... also the fact that it pulled off car and drivers car of the year 2x in a row was some comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frampton View Post
you're 135 was gorgeous though!
THANKS!

Quote:
Yeah, however even when I'm not driving with all the performance potential, I still only get about 21-23mpg.
If we drove our 135i's at their full performance level every day we'd be seeing 15mpg.
I'm starting to think that 2.0 liter, 4cyl turbo's may be the way to go.
BMW has learned something from Audi/VW.
Def agree with you on the whole mpg thing and driving at full potential. I didn't mind paying for the gas until just recently when I started to drive further to my work lol

Quote:
Spring 2012 is the release date (at least canada). My guess would be that the US get their version at the same time. So far nobody as seen the North american version of this car.
2nd or 3rd quarter of 2012 is the US release. Holler at me if you go that route =-)

Interesting to see the vw love on here
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 11:07 PM   #32
RPM90
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by emac08 View Post
you thats what i thought... but then i was looking up reviews on the vw mk6 forums as well as via consumer reports and both pointed towards the mk6 to be a new breed... also the fact that it pulled off car and drivers car of the year 2x in a row was some comfort.

THANKS!

Def agree with you on the whole mpg thing and driving at full potential. I didn't mind paying for the gas until just recently when I started to drive further to my work lol

2nd or 3rd quarter of 2012 is the US release. Holler at me if you go that route =-)

Interesting to see the vw love on here
BTW, I can barely read your comments in the light blue color.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 01:48 AM   #33
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

I thought it would be funny to bring this thread back from the grave... especially if you guys were still active lol.

So the GTI gave me a headache. I sold it off bought a subaru forester... sold that off and now I am back in a bimmer. funny thing is, I complained about getting ~ 21mpg hence going away from the bimmer but now I drive an M3 LOL. once you go Bavarian... you stay that way.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #34
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by emac08
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshark View Post
Honda Civic Hybrid perhaps?
Toyota Prius?

no... lol. it's a cool car since it makes no noise but way tooo slow.

I for one would be interested to know what you got and if you're happy with the differences. I remember going from a 528i to a Honda Civic years ago, and being happy with the improvement in fuel economy, among other things. The Civic was more fun to drive around town. Of course, the 528 was much better on the open road.
i actually got a 2011 gti [mk6 autobahn]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
prius?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooler2442 View Post
Dam hope you didn't trade it in with those wheels, I would have bought them.
i posted a thread about these wheels.. cuz one of them is cracked and a few have some bends in them... they are still for sale for $300 OBO. the pictures above were taken as I just described. doesn't look too bad from a distance or in pictures. up close you can notice it.
the GTI is not a bad car....but you'll get bored quite quickly. I came from a 2012 A3 quattro (same as the GTI but with quattro). nice cars....but boooring. Get a stage 1 tuning for sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #35
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
Yep the 135 is special I still miss the car sometimes but I paid 20K more for the it over my GTI. IMO there shouldnt be a 20K difference between paid 50K vs 30K(cdn). The 20K can be invested in a real dedicated sports car or other things.
This is very true in the automobile or motorcycle world. When you go up in performance/prestige, $$$ goes up exponentially and rarely makes much sense. Luckily for some, it doesn't always need to
I do however feel that the 1series is one of the best performance bargains out there. Of course everything is relative.

As for the snobbiness associated with this brand, I must say the people on this board are very friendly, which is very refreshing! Welcome back
      02-14-2014, 11:42 AM   #36
hernandez706
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

I wish you were in Miami. I'd take those wheels off your hands. Take a road trip in the new baby! Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 02:00 PM   #37
vertebra
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i vert

Garage List
Miss my GTI! I know that 300hp>200hp, 50/50 Weight distribution>61/39, Rear wheel drive>front wheel drive, Hydraulic steering>Electric... but damn that was a fun car to drive! It felt quicker and more nimble than the 135i. I will have another one at some point!
      02-14-2014, 02:40 PM   #38
BatteryPowered
Private
Rep
Drives: Coupe

I do city driving exclusively lately, I get 12-14 MPG tops. I knew it was part of the deal, so was the high insurance premium on the car. But I can't help but think that BMW could do better than 12 MPG with such a small car.

Each time I walk by X6 with the same engine I wonder what kind of real world MPG that car gets (it's 1300 lbs heavier and AWD).
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 05:17 PM   #39
ba83
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i 6MT

Gti is still a fun car to drive, i had a mk6 and fwd has its limitations. I sold it and got a 5.0 which was too unrefined and then got a 135

I test drove a 12 golf r and the steering was just awful , the fwd gti is better. The new r should be better.

Apr does a nice stage 2 , very decent daily driver.

Enjoy your car
      02-15-2014, 12:47 AM   #40
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the GTI is not a bad car....but you'll get bored quite quickly. I came from a 2012 A3 quattro (same as the GTI but with quattro). nice cars....but boooring. Get a stage 1 tuning for sure.
The only thing I plan on doing is cosmetic or possibly a sleeve kit to lower it. As far as engine, i'm going to leave it stock. I bought it because it was fast enough for me already

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorchimp View Post
I must say the people on this board are very friendly, which is very refreshing! Welcome back
I agree about forum members. Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernandez706 View Post
I wish you were in Miami. I'd take those wheels off your hands. Take a road trip in the new baby! Lol
West coast to east coast = toooo many miles way too fast lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertebra View Post
Miss my GTI! I know that 300hp>200hp, 50/50 Weight distribution>61/39, Rear wheel drive>front wheel drive, Hydraulic steering>Electric... but damn that was a fun car to drive! It felt quicker and more nimble than the 135i. I will have another one at some point!
IDK man lol. I would choose the 135 over 10x over the GTI. Dont get me wrong, the GTI is a cool car but, the drop in power is very substantial it was tough to get over it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
I do city driving exclusively lately, I get 12-14 MPG tops. I knew it was part of the deal, so was the high insurance premium on the car. But I can't help but think that BMW could do better than 12 MPG with such a small car.
LOL 12-14 mpg. Freals?!?! My overall mpg was about 21. I guess I didn't drive the car hard enough. Even in my 08 E90, M3 (90% city driving) i'm getting ~ 18mpg overall . It is stick and v8 too.
Appreciate 0