BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2009, 11:08 AM   #67
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I think you're mistaken. The system cuts power WAY before it applies any braking in normal mode.
Wouldn't it be capable of doing both at the same time, depending on circumstances? I can see for a quick correction, cut power and apply the brakes on the wheel(s) that counteract the direction that the car is about to spin off into? This would happen simultaneously or at least within milliseconds.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #68
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
Wouldn't it be capable of doing both at the same time, depending on circumstances? I can see for a quick correction, cut power and apply the brakes on the wheel(s) that counteract the direction that the car is about to spin off into? This would happen simultaneously or at least within milliseconds.

I'm not sure honestly. If the car is in a skid (or trying to)and the inside tire is spinning, I can't imagine that they'd want to shift power to the other tire because then they're both going to break loose and the rear end is going to be unglued. It seems to me that the ECU just kills the power to stop the rear wheels from spinning, but it's hard to tell exactly what it's capable of depending on slip/steering wheel angle. Whatever they're doing it's pretty effective at keeping you out of trouble in normal mode though.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #69
PC Valkyrie
Very slow driver
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 & 135i & C55 AMG & 911 GT3

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
2005 C55 AMG  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I think you're mistaken. The system cuts power WAY before it applies any braking in normal mode.

How do you know this to be true? And I hope your response is not going to be : "I can't feel the brakes working"......