BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-29-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
Cordoba1
Rep
Drives: 135i

Air Leak Under Windshield / A Piller?

Hi friends!

I've had my 135i for about 4 weeks now, made my first substantial road trip over this Thanksgiving weekend. Upon leaving for home last night, I decided to leave the stereo off so I could enjoy the wonderful sounds of the machinery. The engine sounds wonderfull, no doubt, but I could hear more air-rushing noises than a car of this price level should be making:

First, the passenger-side window makes a little rushing noise in the corner -- I'll have the dealer address that....

But my 135i has an air leak and noise that is much more disturbing: At interstate speed, I can hear a lot of air-rushing-noise coming from the windshield area of the car. If I put my hand up in the very corner of the dash -- Where the top of the dash, bottom of the windshield, and the A-Piller meet, I can actually feel a substantial amount of cold (outside) air rushing in! I can't feel it anywhere else around the window/dash intersection, but it is enough air flow that I suspect it might frost the windows when it gets really cold!

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

That really sounds odd.

Are you certain the defroster wasn't on? Pushing the front defrost button defaults to full fan, and the climate control system isn't as intuitive as it could be.

If there really is an air leak under the windshield, I'd have the dealer take car of it ASAP.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
Cordoba1
Rep

Quite Sure..

Yeah -- I'm sure it's not coming from the HVAC system... The draft isn't coming from a vent, happens only when the car is in motion and with the HVAC off...

Further, the upholstry on the A-Piller column is visibly dusty.

I'll make an appointment this week.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 09:57 PM   #4
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Hope it's taken care of quickly & painlessly. Let us know.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
Cordoba1
Rep

Ongoing Saga

My service writer at Perillo BMW called me today to let me know that the seal around the windshield is bad. He said that the previous owner must have had it changed for whatever reason, and the installer did a lousy job. He knows it is a replacement because the window is aftermarket, not BMW. He says that it is fairly common for insurance companies to use non OEM glass.

He tells me he's working with his "regional representative" to repair the problem on BMW's nickel. I'll be very disappointed if I have to pay anything... I mean, part of the lure of buying this car was the promise of free maintenance and warranty. I understand this isn't necessarily a maintenance issue per-se, but I hope they'll back me on this one -- I've only had the car 4 weeks and paid the premium to get into a BMW!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #6
Cordoba1
Rep

Another Call - Good News

BMW is refused to pay (I think understandably) -- but Perillo has decided to pay the repair bill! (They sold me the car last month.) The windshield is being re-sealed today. I'm glad they volunteered as I was gearing up for a fight. That's points for them in my book.

As long as the body shop has it, I'm having a coat of Zymol applied -- She has some swirl marks from the last owner. I hope a professional polish will clear that up.
Appreciate 0