BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-01-2011, 03:28 PM   #45
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E82 N51

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
I don't know, it's all very confusing to me as well..

From what I understood, the Adaptive has the high beam H7 bulb, and the Bi-Xenon doesn't have the high beam H7 bulb.. But then you say it's the opposite? I guess i'll find out tomorrow when my Bi-Xenons arrive. Will let you know.

You've done the halogen --> Xenon swap haven't you?

Any tips you can add?
They're both bi-xenon lights. The difference being that one version incorporates a halogen high beam as well (non-adaptive) and one version incorporates a "cornering" light instead of the halogen high beam (adaptive). Looking at realoem.com, they unfortunately don't make a distinction between the two types of lights and only show the adaptive lights, which use a H3 bulb for the cornering light AFAIK. Both versions use a H8 bulb for the corona rings, again AFAIK. I'm guessing that the non-adaptive lights use either a H7 bulb for the high beam, or possible a H1 (which seems to commonly be used in small projector assemblies.

No, I haven't done the conversion, but I have done a ton of research about the conversion because I will likely tackle this sometime in the future. I have never actually seen the non-adaptive lights in-person, so most of what I'm saying has been learned through research rather than first-person experiences.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #46
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '14 435i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW128i View Post
They're both bi-xenon lights. The difference being that one version incorporates a halogen high beam as well (non-adaptive) and one version incorporates a "cornering" light instead of the halogen high beam (adaptive). Looking at realoem.com, they unfortunately don't make a distinction between the two types of lights and only show the adaptive lights, which use a H3 bulb for the cornering light AFAIK. Both versions use a H8 bulb for the corona rings, again AFAIK. I'm guessing that the non-adaptive lights use either a H7 bulb for the high beam, or possible a H1 (which seems to commonly be used in small projector assemblies.

No, I haven't done the conversion, but I have done a ton of research about the conversion because I will likely tackle this sometime in the future. I have never actually seen the non-adaptive lights in-person, so most of what I'm saying has been learned through research rather than first-person experiences.
Ok cool well maybe this thread can help you out then for when you decide to take the plunge

It just seemed like there was a general lack of info regarding this here, or people gave up after they did the conversion.

So hopefully this will help once we get some facts! As i said I shall let you know tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #47
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i

To AA: the xenons will flicker and shut off once the engine is started, was hoping the flicker was temporary but no such luck.

A great resource for coding is ************** (would recommend joining if you haven't already). The people on the forum are very helpful and well informed.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 04:35 PM   #48
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralPA E82 View Post
To AA: the xenons will flicker and shut off once the engine is started, was hoping the flicker was temporary but no such luck.
Aah that's not good.. wonder what it could be..

I'm at the coding forum thx seems bimmerpost isnt a fan though due to the word being censored here haha
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2011, 10:03 PM   #49
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep

Glad to hear you found the forum. The flicker is due to PWM (pulse width modulation) and can be sorted out with coding. The install process was a PITA but this coding roadblock is the real source of frustration. Hopefully we can figure this out in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:12 AM   #50
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear you found the forum. The flicker is due to PWM (pulse width modulation) and can be sorted out with coding. The install process was a PITA but this coding roadblock is the real source of frustration. Hopefully we can figure this out in the near future.
Hmm do you know what needs to be coded to sort the PWM out? What exactly does PWM mean/do?

I'm sure we'll sort something out together!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #51
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

are you sure non-adaptive euro headlight uses H7 bulb?
I thought all euro xenon OEM 1 series headlight uses d1s bulb.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #52
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
Me too. We'll find out in a few hours when I get mine hopefully
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #53
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
For the projector, yes, a D1S is used. The inner light is a halogen light and I think it's a H7 bulb from the research I have done.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #54
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
For the projector, yes, a D1S is used. The inner light is a halogen light and I think it's a H7 bulb from the research I have done.
I thought there are 2 projectors for the non-AHL (non-adaptive). Inner and outer.

Now obviously one of them is a D1S (Outer), but whether the inner has a high beam bulb or not for the non-AHL we shall see tomorrow Damn BMW stuffed up my order, was supposed to get them today :/

From what I thought , the Adaptive comes with only one projector (outer), and no inner projector, which is where the high beam H7 sits.

EDIT: I think you are right though.. Non-AHL comes with H7 inner, and AHL doesn't.

But as I said, we shall see

Last edited by aacabriolet; 06-02-2011 at 09:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #55
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aacabriolet View Post
I thought there are 2 projectors for the non-AHL (non-adaptive). Inner and outer.

Now obviously one of them is a D1S (Outer), but whether the inner has a high beam bulb or not for the non-AHL we shall see tomorrow Damn BMW stuffed up my order, was supposed to get them today :/

From what I thought , the Adaptive comes with only one projector (outer), and no inner projector, which is where the high beam H7 sits.

EDIT: I think you are right though.. Non-AHL comes with H7 inner, and AHL doesn't.

But as I said, we shall see
Sorry, forgot to say that the MAIN projector uses a D1S HID setup The adaptive lights use a H3 bulb in the inner assemblies as a cornering light only.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #56
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep

I have the euro bi-xenon setup in my car currently and can confirm the inner bulb is for the rings only (s/b an H8 based on what I have read here). The high beams are via the shutter only (differs from the e90 setup which has an H7 for the flash function).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #57
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I have the euro bi-xenon setup in my car currently and can confirm the inner bulb is for the rings only (s/b an H8 based on what I have read here). The high beams are via the shutter only (differs from the e90 setup which has an H7 for the flash function).
Cool thanks yours is non-AHL/non-adaptive right?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:25 AM   #58
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep

Correct, my setup is not adaptive (the cost difference is substantial when you consider the additional parts required).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #59
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Correct, my setup is not adaptive (the cost difference is substantial when you consider the additional parts required).
Great! Now if only you can get your flickering sorted out. It's bugging me even..

Any idea what needs to be coded to sort it out? The ground you added was tapped to the existing ground right? I assume you used a BMW Pin contact?What pin size did you use? Part no would be great

What have you coded again so far? Cold and warm bulbs checks, and changed VO and disabled self leveling checks?

Thx
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #60
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep

The coding portion was the addition of $522 to the VO and disabling the bulb checks. I think the bulb checks might be the issue (car still indicates low/high beam failure on the display). Hope to hear back from Autologic but am not holding my breath at this point (don't think they are familiar with the conversion either). Glad more people are attempting this conversion as most seem to give up.

You need the larger contact for the ground (think you posted the pic of the different ones available earlier in this post).
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #61
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Thanks. Well I definitely think we can come to some sort of conclusion if we all attempt this and post our feedback.

As soon as I get my cable I will be attempting the coding too (might get someone to remote code for me the first time), and then I'll let you guys know for sure!

If you could post exactly what variables you changed and what you added (wert_01 etc.) that could help I think!

Also, did you code the blank .man file after adding VO?

Last edited by aacabriolet; 06-02-2011 at 12:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 01:20 PM   #62
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

the inner bulb is H8 bulb for AE
outer bulb is d1s xenon. at least from my non-adaptive.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #63
AW128i
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This doesn't make sense. What are the inner projectors used for? The corona rings are separate and on the outside of the projectors.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #64
CentralPA E82
Rookie
United_States
Rep

There is only one halogen bulb in the main housing (for the corona rings). The design confuses me as well. Once the coding is sorted out the H8 might turn out to be used for flash to pass. Time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #65
toto4dwin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
This doesn't make sense. What are the inner projectors used for? The corona rings are separate and on the outside of the projectors.
Back in the old days (E30, 36, 46 etc), that inner light was high beam. Now with bi-xenon, one light multi-task. But BMW can’t simply delete that because the twin headlights like the twin kidney grills are their DNA.

Hi aacabriolet, I'm still waiting for my headlights to come. All the best to your conversion
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2011, 11:55 PM   #66
aacabriolet
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toto4dwin View Post
Back in the old days (E30, 36, 46 etc), that inner light was high beam. Now with bi-xenon, one light multi-task. But BMW can’t simply delete that because the twin headlights like the twin kidney grills are their DNA.

Hi aacabriolet, I'm still waiting for my headlights to come. All the best to your conversion
interesting! Thanks toto
Appreciate 0