BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-03-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

Bird dropings

Looks like my roof i ruind by bird droping..like acid..can i polish it out?it,s on a Black roof.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
miiipilot
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2 Brooklyn Grey 6mt

You can get it out. It could be very difficult and expensive. Google a DIY with diff products. I have used the website www.properautocare.com for help.

My last...AND I MEAN LAST black car i owned or ever will was a 2004 Acura TL 6mt. I used to carry around a spray bottle of soapy water and removed bird droppings when they happened.

Black looks beautiful for about 2 hours after a car wash.

It's not the end of the world with a black car, but it needs special and dedicated attention...good luck,
miiipilot
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
dj john
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: 118d performance

Thank you for the Quick replyi trye to wash it off or rins the car when i see it..but i waited to long now
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #4
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

ClffNotes* Version

Identify the type of damage (Type I Surface staining , Type II Surface etching) and then remove from the paint surface ASAP; proceed by using the least abrasive products before moving to something more abrasive.

Type I is off-white non-transparent ‘clouded’ stain – if left for any length of time the will cause the porous clear coat to occlude (become non-transparent) this is usually inherent with a light surface stain. Providing it is removed quickly and hasn’t been subjected to reactivity (moisture and heat) this can usually be removed easily, especially if there is a sacrificial coat of wax on the paint
1. Use a chemical paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner) to remove surface stains
2. Use ValuGuard Acid Neutralizer (Step I) - diluted 1:8 neutralizes acids deposited on the paint surface and in the pores of the paint
3. Try to dissolve the surface/etched deposits trying one or more of the following;
a) Use a 2:1 or stronger solution of distilled water/distilled white vinegar (Acetic acid)
b) Try a 2:1 solution of distilled water/Isopropyl Alcohol (adjust ratio as required)
c) Or equal parts distilled water/distilled white vinegar/Isopropyl alcohol.
4. Clean the effected surface with Klasse All-In-One or Zaino Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner

Type II is a stain with paint cracking around its perimeter – this is usually the result of a stain that has been on the surface for a while and has been subjected to reactivity (the addition of moisture and heat), which produces an acid that etches the paint surface
1. Use a chemical paint surface cleaner (Z-PC Fusion Dual Action Paint Cleaner) to remove surface stains
2. Use ValuGuard Acid Neutralizer (Step I) - diluted 1:8 neutralizes acids deposited on the paint surface and in the pores of the paint
3. Use detailing clay to remove any `hard' surface granules
4. Use a machine polish (Optimum Polish or Optimum Compound) and a cutting (LC White, Orange or Yellow) foam pad (speed # 4- 5.0) to level the surface
5. For PPG CeramiClear™ Clear Coat or other hard clear coats substitute Menzerna for machine polish; PO 203 S - Power Finish
6. Use the least aggressive polish/foam pad first, if this doesn’t remove the problem step-up to a more aggressive polish / foam pad set-up
7. Wet-sand with 2000, 2500 or 3000 grit finishing paper and polish with a finishing polish
8. Apply a paint protection

Do not scrub hardened/dried excrement residue, birds use gravel to help digest their food so grit and sand are some of the major components, which can cause scratching as it is very abrasive and will scratch the paint surface. Once it softened (re-liquefied) it enables their removal with less likelihood of damage to the paint surface Do not use on a hot paint surface (soon after driving) as this will cause streaking

Last edited by TOGWT; 06-05-2011 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0