BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
Rep
Drives: Lancer Evolution 9 MR

SFV - experienced detailer to fix swirls needed

long story short, i thought swirls was BS as I didnt experience them on my white Evo 9, and i'm an idiot.

My entire car has swirls on it (CR) and I'm pretty fucking annoyed. Cotton towels was used when I was told they werent going to be used on my car. I want someone experienced to get these out, does anybody have someone in the LA area they could recommend me to? I wouldn't mind paying $100 for legit job to get these swirls out.

I live in SFV but would be willing to drive a half hour radius for a good job.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

You won't get what your looking for done correctly for the price you listed. Not even double the price. Likely not triple the price either.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 09:52 PM   #3
cooler2442
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 1/18 Monte Carlo Blue E92 M3

Garage List
These guys seem to be in northridge

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541251
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
Rep

Really? I heard a lot of people on other forums talking about $80-100 i just thought that was standard. What should I expect to pay.... I don't see how it could be much more than that.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Kcc
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels with a turbo

You most likely get a single polish with seal and wax for a price of $300. If cotton towels were used, I assume you will be having quite abit of swirls that's on your paint. To get a good job done with millions of micro scratches, two step polish might be needed for your situation. Altho you have not post any picture, what I am talking here are just assuming.

Cotton are no good to use. Microfiber are, but need good care and storage.

BTW, I am still a learner, hope my info could give u a hand...

Kcc
      06-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
Rep

Ok so I guess I will be paying a lot more but I would only need to do this like once a year or so, right? Anyone else have suggestions? That place looks really good btw, I am going to contact them, just wanna have some options.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

You could learn to do it yourself and spend more upfront but save money over time.

As for swirls, cotton towels don't cause swirls, dirty towels do. A clean cotton towel is no worse than microfiber, but a dirty microfiber tends to be nicer than a dirty cotton towel.

It's very hard to say how long a relatively swirl free car can go between full details. If you go through an automatic car wash in a beach town the first week, I'd say it will last about a week. If you wash your own car, using the double bucket method and good towels, you could go six months or more. A lot of it depends on what you, as the owner, consider an unacceptable level of swirls.

I can promise you that doing all of your cleaning and detailing yourself, it will last a lot longer than if you put both in the hands of others.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Yes, as I have just learned with my first white car, it shows a lot of dirt, but hides any swirls. You should be able to get a very good job done for around $300. Shops that I found in the PHX area charge $300 for a 2-step polish. But, I agree with above, get a random orbital polisher, lots of microfiber and learn to do it yourself.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
Rep

is it really that easy? I've never washed one of my own cars :P I always had white and never really noticed swirls or any issues with my paint so never felt the need to.

Btw the RO is only like $150 and with supplies you could have a set for everything you need for $300 easily so I don't think the initial cost is more. The question is if I can actually do a good job myself as a first timer. I also have my Evo to wash before I sell so I am thinking about buying stuff to do it myself since I can get all the stuff for $300ish and I'd need to pay $600 to do both cars and this will last me much longer than 2 washes.

What are the best of everything I'd need to get this done (best meaning, best for value and to get job done, not top of the line)
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Bay area:

Aaron of AC Detailing: http://www.acdetailing.net/index.html

Bob Willis of Auto Concierge: http://www.justwaxed.net/

Jeff McGoveran of Immaculate Reflections: http://www.immaculate-reflections.com/

LA area you have other great guys like Eric from Envious Detailing and Joe of Superior Shine.

All above are outstanding and nationally recognized for their attention to detail, swirl / scratch removal AKA paint correction abilities, and consistent perfectionist work. GL, and if you talk to any of them, tell them Marc from AutoLavish said hello
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 04:57 PM   #11
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

There are some good deals on packaged kits from some of our sponsors. I've given a fair amount of money to Detailed Image over the last few years and he runs a great shop.

At a minimum, I'd recommend two buckets, two grit guards, a few sponges or mitts for washing, some soap (I use Optimum No Rinse, but also like Chemical Guys for regular soap), a few good waffle weave drying towels and a wheel brush for getting things clean.

For polishing, you can find the Porter Cable 7424 for pretty cheap and it's very effective, especially for well maintained cars. Make sure you get a quality backing plate and a variety of pads. I mainly use orange and white Lake Country pads, with the other colors being for rare cases. Some quality clay is nice to have, and Menzerna polishes work great, I'm a frequent user of PO83 and PO106FA as a two step finish on my black and red cars.

I currently use Chemical Guys EZ Glaze followed by either Blackfire Wet Diamond or Menzerna Power Lock for sealant, I like both just about equally. Add a few dozen microfiber towels for removing polish and sealant, some metal polish for exhaust tips and a degreaser for the engine bay and you'll have the basics more than covered.

The interior is another story, but a damp microfiber, some 303 and the two Leatherique products cover nearly all of my needs.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Porter Cable: http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-7...9387735&sr=8-1

And as a good starting point I recommend Adam's Polishes. As you move on, you can fill in with some different products.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 01:31 PM   #13
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 540i M, '11 Ducati M796

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
since you've NEVER washed your car before... what the hell do you do? Please don't tell me you use drive-through car washes!? Those will do one of two things, or both, either strip all the protection off of the paint, or add more swirls if it's not touch free. Either pay up for a quality detail with 2 polishing steps, or learn how to do it yourself.

I've worked with other guys who detail before, and when I picked up my Jet Black 135i I spent a good $400 on detailing supplies... PC7424XP, menzerna polishes and powerlock sealant, wheel brushes, microfibers, pads, chemical guys shampoo, some clay, quick detailer, etc. It's well worth it, but seeing that you NEVER wash your car... I dunno what to tell you. Detailing is no small feat.

2008 E82 N54 || Stage 2 -------- Gone to a good home.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #14
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
Rep

Not to drive through, I'd take it to semi nice car washes, not like super detailers, but just above average *looking* car washs and on my white Evo it worked out pretty well.....

I think that bringing your car to get detailed is almost as much of a pain as doing it yourself and if its only 2 times a year where you do a legit clay-bar, swirl removing job then I guess its not a big deal. The quick car wash's throughout the weeks shouldn't take very long.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #15
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Those semi-nice car washes are definitely swirlin' ya shit up!

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:14 PM   #16
AWD2RWD
AWD to RWD
Rep

Yes now I know that
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:03 PM   #17
BBBluey
Major
Rep
Drives: very slow and courteous

nobody uses a lambswool mit vs microfiber to wash with? It's what I'm using.

I'm no pro but I used the ICE liquid clay bar set on my BSM and it really helped a lot. I recommend it as a first on your own before spending more $$.
I also use Mother's reflexions wax.

You really should learn to wash your own car. It'll strengthen your back.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:27 PM   #18
Kamal
Indian Stig
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [7.56]
2011 BMW 328i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post

I'm no pro but I used the ICE liquid clay bar set on my BSM and it really helped a lot. I recommend it as a first on your own before spending more $$.

Clay bar will do nothing to remove swirls, it'll just take off some of the dirt and debris that has embedded into the surface of the paint. Again, I suggest learning how to properly detail using a two step polish (like the Menzerna intensive polish/final polish... or Meguiars 105/205)... feel free to ask questions if you want!

Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #19
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep

Quote:
I previously used a microfiber mit, but now I use a wool wash mit. I am very happy with it.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #20
Greg@DetailedImage
United_States
Rep
Drives: clean and protected

If you want quality work done check out Aaron here http://www.acdetailing.net/index.html, it's not cheap but you'll get a great detail for sure.

If you want to do it yourself I'd be happy to help. If you want the most affordable kit to restore your paint with check out this deal - DI Packages Porter Cable 7424XP, Meguiar's Polishes and Hydro Pads Basic Kit. Apply the M105 with the cyan pad and then the M205 with the tangerine pad. It's an outstanding combo that should remove the majority of the swirls and reveal a deep shine. Shipping is only $4 anywhere in the 48 states and you'll get 10% off. Use the coupon code July4Ship before 7/6 (midnight EST) and spend at least $50 to qualify. Afterward apply a quality sealant or wax to protect the paint going forward. Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help. Take care!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2011, 01:08 PM   #21
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:

I tried a high end lambswool mitt on my Jet Black 135i- this thing was soft enough to sleep on at night- and it caused micromarring.

I finally figured out that old, cotton wash pads that I had were the only media I could use that wouldn't marr. Weird.

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0