BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-21-2014, 04:27 PM   #2531
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the E82 is a MUCH nicer design, IMO. it is a more 'classic' design harking back to old school BMWs.

this new 2 just looks like any other car....i honestly wouldn't know what it is if i saw it in my rear-view mirror.

GREAT pics btw!! thanks for posting.
Yeah I agree....we had a 335 parked beside it for a couple minutes when making room for it in the showroom and I should have gotten a pic of it....looks almost identical from the front and rear minus the more aggressive front bumper.

I think Greg referenced the "plastic" look of the wheels earlier.... And when I had them side by side you really start to notice. When it first pulled in on the trailer I was in love with them...now....not so much haha
2013 BMW 135is Le Mans/exclusive 6MT #516 of 586
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
2002 BMW M3 Imola/black 6MT (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:30 PM   #2532
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

And to add to that...I had an 02 m3 before my 1er and that is why I bought the 1....the styling is very similar to me and I just love the e46 body style...it's very modern and classic...but doesn't look like something that will be easily outdated. Plus the proportions are very similar...my only complaints of my 1 is that I couldn't get cloth seats and no roof haha.
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #2533
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLong View Post
Yeah I agree....we had a 335 parked beside it for a couple minutes when making room for it in the showroom and I should have gotten a pic of it....looks almost identical from the front and rear minus the more aggressive front bumper.

I think Greg referenced the "plastic" look of the wheels earlier.... And when I had them side by side you really start to notice. When it first pulled in on the trailer I was in love with them...now....not so much haha
Sorry if my critiques sound so mean. I actually WANT to like it, but feel kinda let down by BMW and the direction they're going.

I have to say our wheels are just beautiful and amazing on so many levels, half the reason I got the IS and if the machined look of them if they carried something similar over onto the M235 would make it look so much more aggressive. Having the wheels that gray color just makes them "look" plasticky and cheap, though I'm sure they are not. It looked really bad on the mineral grey, not so bad on the estoril blue. Makes the 19" performance wheels perhaps a worthwhile purchase.

Thanks for the pics and I'm actually really jealous of your dealership's service area and those big open bays.

It will also be interesting to hear what the M235 sounds like stock and with the ultimate PE to see how good/similar it sounds to ours. Should sound similar since same engine, but piping should be different and might sound better/worse/different. Worst thing ever was for me to now be parking in a big covered garage in our skyscraper at work cause whenever I see someone walking or let someone cross in front of me, I want to buzz them and get their attention by hitting the gas. O=)

Our PE+garage is turning me into a real jerk.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #2534
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Sorry if my critiques sound so mean. I actually WANT to like it, but feel kinda let down by BMW and the direction they're going.

I have to say our wheels are just beautiful and amazing on so many levels, half the reason I got the IS and if the machined look of them if they carried something similar over onto the M235 would make it look so much more aggressive. Having the wheels that gray color just makes them "look" plasticky and cheap, though I'm sure they are not. It looked really bad on the mineral grey, not so bad on the estoril blue. Makes the 19" performance wheels perhaps a worthwhile purchase.

Thanks for the pics and I'm actually really jealous of your dealership's service area and those big open bays.

It will also be interesting to hear what the M235 sounds like stock and with the ultimate PE to see how good/similar it sounds to ours. Should sound similar since same engine, but piping should be different and might sound better/worse/different. Worst thing ever was for me to now be parking in a big covered garage in our skyscraper at work cause whenever I see someone walking or let someone cross in front of me, I want to buzz them and get their attention by hitting the gas. O=)

I'm gonna go out on a very sturdy limb here and say that the M235i will sound NOTHING like our cars with the PPK2+PE.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #2535
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
I'm gonna go out on a very sturdy limb here and say that the M235i will sound NOTHING like our cars with the PPK2+PE.
With a PE on it, it shouldn't sound that different since it's the same N55 engine with the PPK on it. But ours is such a unique and intoxicating sound, I'm not sure it can quite be replicated.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:36 PM   #2536
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I feel like part of the let down, is the ///M badge....it implies so much, and when it doesn't deliver, it's a huge letdown. If this was just the 235i I don't think id be that critical of it. And I'm the same way...I want to like it...but I don't think I would have the same feeling with this car where I'm just so in love with its looks I turn around and look at it several times on the way into work or my house. I just don't like that luxury has overridden the thrill of a sporty, fun car.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #2537
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

It sounds like stock 135 to me.... Haven't heard one with a PE yet obviously. And I regular feel like a dbag, yet like the sound too much to car in parking garages haha. It's just too good
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #2538
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISLong View Post
It sounds like stock 135 to me.... Haven't heard one with a PE yet obviously. And I regular feel like a dbag, yet like the sound too much to car in parking garages haha. It's just too good
I imagine it would at this point cause they haven't released the performance parts yet have they? Not even sure if people ordering them right now can get the port-installed accessories such as the PE and much needed carbon fiber mirror caps, etc.

I really wished they just called it the 235i. I don't get the watering down of the M thing, claiming it's tuned by the M-division, but not a full blown M car, so we'll call it the M235i. Plus, it doesn't make much sense to have a 228, then M235. Why isn't it M228? I guess they didn't touch that one and it's not as important? Will be even stranger if they do make an M2.

I'm with IEDEI, I'm holding out for the M0 (M-zero).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 08:51 PM   #2539
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Well the model names are a whole different bundle of strange.....like what's the purpose of the 4 series...cause all coupes will end in even numbers. Unless it's called a grand coupe and then it has 4 doors. I mean wtf? I could get some high school pot head to label the models better than that.

...anyways yeah...definitely agreed, at least the csl and lightweight names are still intact. I'm sure they will ruin those soon too.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #2540
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is AW/Black 6MT

Quote:

Wait until the hackers figure out how to get into that synthetic engine noise going through your speakers on the new cars. I can see it now..... you are driving through the parking garage, and just as you see someone cross in front you goose the throttle and... what's that sound?! Why does my car sound like a clapped out '69 VW Bug running on three cylinders?? Or maybe a 2 cylinder Subaru engine? How about a noisy Chevy four banger with a big exhaust manifold leak? Endless possibilities. You're looking pretty impressive now! And just as you are trying to duck down so they don't see your face, your electric steering goes out and you hit the poor person.... This isn't the BMW performance direction you are used to, Greg?

Oh, sorry I got OT here
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2014, 11:42 PM   #2541
mb135is
Captain
Rep
Drives: '13 135is #180/586

This whole m235i discussion is OT in my opinion.

We obviously prefer the e82; we bought it.

Once winter is over I am getting an alignment. I have hit potholes that were unavoidable and insanely violent. I am utterly shocked my tires aren't shredded and my winter wheels aren't cracked.

Stupid NE winter. We can print objects with 3d printers, but we can't figure out asphalt that can handle the cold. Unbelievable.

E82 '13 135is - Space Gray/Coral Red, 6 MT,
Heated Seats, 50% tint, clear bra, BMW Perf. Grilles, BMW Perf. CF Diffuser - #180/586
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 06:06 AM   #2542
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
This whole m235i discussion is OT in my opinion.

We obviously prefer the e82; we bought it.

Once winter is over I am getting an alignment. I have hit potholes that were unavoidable and insanely violent. I am utterly shocked my tires aren't shredded and my winter wheels aren't cracked.

Stupid NE winter. We can print objects with 3d printers, but we can't figure out asphalt that can handle the cold. Unbelievable.
I've been slowly warming up to the M235i. The details can certainly be debated, but in the end I'm sure it is a very capable package. Perhaps not the performance bargain of the century, but neither is the 135is. The M235i has a couple of features I would have optioned into my 135is, but I love this car so much I couldn't be happier that I pulled the trigger on getting one before production ended!

This winter has been brutal and I can't wait for Spring. The potholes are around here are horrendous, I can imagine what you are going through in NJ. I'm not driving the 135is to the auto show today. Who knows what 40 miles of I-75 has in store for my car... but giant potholes and construction zones are guaranteed.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 07:33 AM   #2543
morningscifi
Null
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouper View Post
what's that sound?! Why does my car sound like a clapped out '69 VW Bug running on three cylinders?? Or maybe a 2 cylinder Subaru engine? How about a noisy Chevy four banger with a big exhaust manifold leak? Endless possibilities. You're looking pretty impressive now!
Oh, sorry I got OT here
I would absolutely rock any of those noises. Although I'd probably be laughing too hard to actually drive...

Quote:

I'm with IEDEI, I'm holding out for the M0 (M-zero).
M0 money, M0 problems!

Quote:

Worst thing ever was for me to now be parking in a big covered garage in our skyscraper at work cause whenever I see someone walking or let someone cross in front of me, I want to buzz them and get their attention by hitting the gas. O=)

Any reason to reverberate through a parking garage is a good one.

Quote:
It also makes washing the car a pain in the ass, as I have to open the doors during my drying process so that all the excess water doesn't collect at the bottom of the door in the middle of that curve. Now, where's that $300 air compressor?
I have $25 electric leaf blower from home depot (on sale, I think it's normally around $30) that remedies this exact problem. Go get one now!
2013 135is | Le Mans Blue | #542 / 586
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #2544
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Here's my car in action on the slalom course today:

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 02:10 AM   #2545
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Looks good, sounds great! How did it feel to you in street form?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #2546
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Definitely sounds great, though I'm dizzy now after watching that. =P Curious to hear your feedback as well. I know some got the chance to do the slalom course in a 135is at the performance delivery center as well. I'm jealous. Man I love hearing that exhaust...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 09:31 AM   #2547
ISLong
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickMsport View Post
I've been slowly warming up to the M235i. The details can certainly be debated, but in the end I'm sure it is a very capable package. Perhaps not the performance bargain of the century, but neither is the 135is. The M235i has a couple of features I would have optioned into my 135is, but I love this car so much I couldn't be happier that I pulled the trigger on getting one before production ended!

This winter has been brutal and I can't wait for Spring. The potholes are around here are horrendous, I can imagine what you are going through in NJ. I'm not driving the 135is to the auto show today. Who knows what 40 miles of I-75 has in store for my car... but giant potholes and construction zones are guaranteed.
I just drove it...it's kind of awesome...and I hate to admit that.

The steering was a little "light" in my opinion. But the traction with the stock pilot sports was awesome...we have some really winding roads and it flew around them. I thought I would hate the gearbox too...the 8 speed auto...but it's kind of awesome. The gears are really short and you actually use them all. I'm quite impressed. If only the back wasn't so hideous...
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #2548
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Definitely sounds great, though I'm dizzy now after watching that. =P Curious to hear your feedback as well. I know some got the chance to do the slalom course in a 135is at the performance delivery center as well. I'm jealous. Man I love hearing that exhaust...
So yesterdays course involved a few braking exercises, a circular (then elliptical) skidpad, and the slalom course in the video.

The car felt incredibly good. The steering response is very tight. Precise input is rewarded by precise response. The stock runflat tires are sticky...almost too sticky. I had trouble getting the back end to step out on the skid pad. I also blame the ridiculous amount of understeer that is dialed into the stock setup. Having an LSD would have helped too. The brakes on our cars are nothing short of phenomenal. I had some of the best braking exercise runs out of the whole group.

Things that I'd like to address before my next event (in order of priority):
- Proper tires
- Suspension modifications to reduce some of the understeer
- Possibly a square wheel setup (I'd hate to see the 313's go though)
- SSK
- LSD (this goes way down here because I'm not doing it within my warranty period)
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #2549
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
nicely done Worra!! sounds great and looks like fun!!

i have found that on my winter tires set up (225s all around), the understeer is virtually GONE. lol........the rear swings out whenever i want it to. if i were you, i would look into going to a square setup (225s all around)......at least for autocrossing even.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 12:47 PM   #2550
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Great job Worra!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
nicely done Worra!! sounds great and looks like fun!!

i have found that on my winter tires set up (225s all around), the understeer is virtually GONE. lol........the rear swings out whenever i want it to. if i were you, i would look into going to a square setup (225s all around)......at least for autocrossing even.
I think you're right, I'm also running a square 225 setup for winter and have the same observations.

The instructors at the Performance Center told me the staggered 313 setup and understeer dialed into the 1-series in stock form is intentionally done by BMW to reduce the tendency of the car to swap ends in the hands of the average driver, but the chassis can easily be set up to be neutral with few changes.

Although it's snowing again right now, temps yesterday were in the 50s and I got a chance to clean most of the salt off my car before chasing a 997 GT2 through some back roads… clearly a superior car… but the 135is is no slouch!
Attached Images

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #2551
Kouper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Winter tires and wheels!

Well, I figured it's been a while since I posted any pics so here's a new one from today's severe winter storm. Actually, it was 73 degrees out and I took a 50 mile, top down drive on nice two lane roads today. Man, that exhaust sounds so awesome when the top is down. When you drive the 135is mostly in the city, you forget how incredibly capable this car is once you open it up on windy back roads [and did I mention how great the PE sounds?]. I have got to make more time for drives like this! Still in awe of this car.

Good news for us is there's a real storm due Weds with a fair amount of rain expected. We really need it....someone did a lousy job of allocating some of the messy storms in the East to those who would rather have them in the West....who's in charge of this anyways?

Sorry I don't have more pics -- I was having too much fun driving.

Last edited by Kouper; 02-23-2014 at 08:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2014, 08:46 PM   #2552
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Well, I figured it's been a while since I posted any pics so here's a new one from today's severe winter storm. Actually, it was 73 degrees out and I took a 50 mile, top down drive on nice two lane roads today. Man, that exhaust sounds so awesome when the top is down. When you drive the 135is mostly in the city, you forget how incredibly capable this car is once you open it up on windy back roads [and did I mention how great the PE sounds?]. I have got to make more time for drives like this! Still in awe of this car.

Good news for us is there's a real storm due Weds with a fair amount of rain expected. We really need it....someone did a lousy job of allocating some of the messy storms in the East to those who would rather have them in the West....who's in charge of this anyways?

Sorry I don't have more pics -- I was having too much fun driving.

very sharp, man! i'm not really a Convertible type of person.....but if i had to get one i would DEFINITELY have gotten a 135is.....must be so much fun to hear that PE singing with the top down!!! Love the White too......very sharp!
Appreciate 0