First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a disturbed shark!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvs
DCT?
Is that what those flappy paddles are for???

LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #24
OneM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M

Most likely one of your sensors. Had a similar problem on one of my previous cars. Mine was the air-fuel sensor.
Take it to your dealer, I'm sure they'll sort it out. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 04:13 PM   #25
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redadair View Post
My vote is a bad tank of gas.
+1, that makes a lot of sense, especially knowing he tanked up at a new place.

Would the ECU record any codes when the knock sensors are activating that frequently?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #26
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ran the tank down to the reserve and pumped some fresh Shell V-Power 93 octane (cleanest I could find around) and put about 20 miles on it...

Unfortunately the problem persists. Either the dirty gas is still on the lines and/or the computer has not picked up on the clean fuel or it's something else malfunctioning like a spark plug or the drivetrain...

Will hopefully know more tomorrow morning when it goes in for service... Gonna be really pissed if I have to pay for a new clutch!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #27
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
So obviously it stopped acting up on the way to the doctor, I mean dealer... Talk about a cliche!!!

The head of the service department took it out for a road test and said it was most likely: drum roll please!!! "a bad tank of gas" which the car is still clearing from the lines (at least 2 gallons on the reserve). According to the master tech if it was the spark plugs the car would act up at idle as well, if it was a damaged sensor it would have shown up on the diagnostic and if the clutch was slipping let's just say the road test would have been a lot less exciting!!!

They have the car up on the lift and are checking the charge pipe and connections to the intercooler but so far no issues...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 08:49 AM   #28
LeifW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1M AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by miula View Post
So obviously it stopped acting up on the way to the doctor, I mean dealer...
Isn't that always the case.

Leif W.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #29
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
So obviously it stopped acting up on the way to the doctor, I mean dealer... Talk about a cliche!!!

The head of the service department took it out for a road test and said it was most likely: drum roll please!!! "a bad tank of gas" which the car is still clearing from the lines (at least 2 gallons on the reserve). According to the master tech if it was the spark plugs the car would act up at idle as well, if it was a damaged sensor it would have shown up on the diagnostic and if the clutch was slipping let's just say the road test would have been a lot less exciting!!!

They have the car up on the lift and are checking the charge pipe and connections to the intercooler but so far no issues...
Usually the bump on the dealer's driveway fixes all issue with cars when they come to the shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
And it's back... Of course the dealer found nothing wrong with the car and said it was most likely bad gas... But now that it's back after service the problem started again; I guess I have to give it another fresh tank of gas to makes sure the whole thing is cleared out or wait until the symptoms get worse and bring it back in for service.... Such a PITA!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #31
Imo135
I dont drive fast,I just fly low....
Rep
Drives: Bmw 135is

I had an issue like that when I had software installed. The timing was to advanced and the vehicle was retarding timing by closing the throttle until as boost levels were spiking.

They had to increase the torque limiter, reduce timing to avoid the retardations.

That what I was told by the tuner. somaybe its an ECU, knock sensor, to advance tiiming, torque limiter issue.

I know I may not be providing much useful info but that is what I was told..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 08:10 AM   #32
Underwood
BMW > Audi+ Merc. Simple math.
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 14' Wrangler

I'm experiencing the same problem myself.

See my signature for my complete upgrade list, the problem first started to occur when the car got flashed.

Have you had the car checked out once more perhaps? Any answer to the problems?
My problem is even more present if running 3rd full throttle with three passengers in the car. Feels like the car has asthma sometimes.

I'm hoping it's not the clutch aswell....
Drove: 2014 M5 Competition Package, 2012 1M, 2010 GT-R
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 12:46 AM   #33
luial
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1///M, e46 M3, e30 320is ///M3

Just happened to my car last time I used it (2 weeks ago). Car seemed to loose power but didn't notice so much since I was already driving normally after very spirited driving (up mountain roads). Drove the car just today and it has all the symptoms the OP is describing.
Didn't have it checked yet and I'm suspecting the charge pipe (car is with Evolve stage 3 Tune, Evolve FMIC, Downpipe, AFE Stage 2 Intake, N55 mids and Akra Evolution with wireless kit). Is this the symptom of a charge pipe problem?
Car was running very strong for about 3 months (with all the parts and tune installed).
Was OP's car ever fixed? What did you do?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #34
pearlwhites
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M, 06 CTT, 07 A8L

Could be bad o2 sensors as well...
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #35
Prazision
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328xi Wagon

I had a similar problem (335 n54 engine) , it did however get to the point where at idle, i had to give it throttle to keep it from stalling out. The good news for you is that mine went away after about a week or so...

When you shut off the car, let it sit, and turn it back on did the problem persist? is it constant or varies from time to time?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:12 PM   #36
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
After a second visit to the dealer, they still say nothing is wrong with the car even though they haven't even hooked it up to the diagnostic computer arguing that if there was an error code it would show a CEL on the dash; I was under the impression that bad sensors, etc wouldn't trigger a CEL but would show up on the OBD II diagnostic but I guess I am wrong...

My car is not tuned and other than the exhaust and esthetic mods it is pretty much stock, so that guarantees it can't be a tuning issue.

I did run a couple of tanks of fresh clean gas and it got a little better. I poured a bottle of Techron on the last fuel up and that made a huge difference!!! It seemed much better after that. I'll have to wait until I return from vacation and drive it some more to see how it's doing. I'll post an update next week.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #37
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
After a second visit to the dealer, they still say nothing is wrong with the car even though they haven't even hooked it up to the diagnostic computer arguing that if there was an error code it would show a CEL on the dash; I was under the impression that bad sensors, etc wouldn't trigger a CEL but would show up on the OBD II diagnostic but I guess I am wrong...
You are right and your dealer is full of sh*t.

There are innumerable "shadow codes" that don't trigger a CEL.

Since all your dealer had to do was read them off the OBDII port, I'd suggest you find a dealer that takes your concerns more seriously!

Neil
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #38
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Since all your dealer had to do was read them off the OBDII port, I'd suggest you find a dealer that takes your concerns more seriously!

Neil
Thanx for confirming that the shadow codes do exist; I thought I was going crazy...

I have a laptop & cable with all the coding software (INPA, NCS, etc) that I setup to code the car (mirrors, etc) but I never got around to it.

I am gonna try to figure out how to use it to read error codes instead of coding and see if I can pick up a shadow code. Just gotta find the right files to diagnose the 1M...

I thought about swapping dealers again but this one is the least terrible one around as far as I know...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #39
Venom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miula
All of a sudden the acceleration got jumpy. If I go WOT the power delivery is not linear anymore but choppy instead; almost feels like when the rev. limiter kicks in but it starts around 3k up to about 4.5k rpm regardless of gear or road speed. Even more strange is it only happens WOT, if instead I slowly accelerate all the way to 6.5k rpm it feels fine... Doesn't happen when parked and revved up either...

The charge-pipe seems to be properly attached to the throttle body and no CEL so far... I wonder if the CP maybe cracked somewhere or even worse something happened to the tranny/clutch/diff...

Any ideas what could be wrong??? Going in for service Monday morning anyway... I am terrified!!!
those were my symptoms when my clutch went out. I heard its from the cdv at wot. I am currently contemplating removing the cdv altogether if I can get someone to confirm that the cdv does cause clutch slip at wot.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #40
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
Quote:
Originally Posted by miula
All of a sudden the acceleration got jumpy. If I go WOT the power delivery is not linear anymore but choppy instead; almost feels like when the rev. limiter kicks in but it starts around 3k up to about 4.5k rpm regardless of gear or road speed. Even more strange is it only happens WOT, if instead I slowly accelerate all the way to 6.5k rpm it feels fine... Doesn't happen when parked and revved up either...

The charge-pipe seems to be properly attached to the throttle body and no CEL so far... I wonder if the CP maybe cracked somewhere or even worse something happened to the tranny/clutch/diff...

Any ideas what could be wrong??? Going in for service Monday morning anyway... I am terrified!!!
those were my symptoms when my clutch went out. I heard its from the cdv at wot. I am currently contemplating removing the cdv altogether if I can get someone to confirm that the cdv does cause clutch slip at wot.
No CDV on my 1M, it was replaced with a modified (hollow) CDV the day I picked up the car... So the CDV can't be the problem; clutch could be the culprit but there is no slip/lag at WOT on low gears/speed, it only happens in 4 - 6 at 50+ mph...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 03:04 PM   #41
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
No CDV on my 1M, it was replaced with a modified (hollow) CDV the day I picked up the car... So the CDV can't be the problem; clutch could be the culprit but there is no slip/lag at WOT on low gears/speed, it only happens in 4 - 6 at 50+ mph...
I've found that on occasion my boost levels oscillate unexpectedly causing something similar to being described. It usually only jumps ones or twice and doesnt happen again for a while
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #42
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post

Neil
Hooked up the car to the INPA diagnostic and ran the engine <24h & 24h> without any error codes. Then I ran a full diagnostic and picked up 26 error codes but I have no clue what they mean and/or if any of them could be related to the throttle problems. Below is the screenshot of the codes; anyone know what they mean or where I can look them up???

Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:18 PM   #43
Alby_416
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Coupé (BSM)

Garage List
hey miula
I'm posting on this old thread cause I'm having the same issue on my 1M, with the difference that its throwing an engine light with "engine malfunction" description.
Exact same symptoms during WOT acceleration.

Was it indeed the HPFP at the end? The car is at the dealer now but they don't seem to be familiar with this problem (in EU is much less common).
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2015, 02:23 PM   #44
miula
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alby_416 View Post
hey miula
I'm posting on this old thread cause I'm having the same issue on my 1M, with the difference that its throwing an engine light with "engine malfunction" description.
Exact same symptoms during WOT acceleration.

Was it indeed the HPFP at the end? The car is at the dealer now but they don't seem to be familiar with this problem (in EU is much less common).
Sadly I don't own the 1M anymore but according to the dealer it was a bad tank of gas. All I can tell you is that it did go away after I fueled some fresh gas and poured a bottle of Techron into the tank. I never had a CEL though, sounds like a different issue, maybe the charge pipe blew off the manifold?
Appreciate 1