BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #23
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

So why did you degrade? Bad economy?
      07-31-2009, 11:25 PM   #24
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep
Drives: 15 GSM 435i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry3 View Post
... there are cars other cars available at similar price points that are better suited to that role.
Really? Which ones? I must have missed that. 370Z? I thought that was about it.

2015 435i Gran Coupe - Current
2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #25
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

1..The 135 sport suspension does have a little body roll but overall its rock solid. The OEM rubber is what holds this car back..but its not a deal break IMO...especially when you compare it to other cars in the market. Its just rocks

2. I cant comment on the Manual, haven't had enough time with it...but after 15min with steptronic in DS mode my decision was easy... very underrated auto when in DS mode IMO

3. The engine is truly amazing that low down power is amazing

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:36 PM   #26
blklacker
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
Really? Which ones? I must have missed that. 370Z? I thought that was about it.
The 370z is the only car in the 135i market that offers the balance the 135i offers performance wise, but the 370z doesn't have back seat...sooo if I was in the market for a car without back seats I rather settle with a vette or Porsche

-135i BSM, CRBL ,custom front lip/Indianapolis red fade, blacked out tail lights/corner headlights, golf tee, BMS Air intake, SSTT, CF spoiler,Powdered coated OEM rims gunmetal high gloss,custom Rear diffuser Black/Indianapolis red fade
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2009, 11:55 PM   #27
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Everyone is entilted to thier opinion. Your own opinion is whats important.
No cagekicker, your not the only one who love's this car!
Every car has + and -, but all in all I love my 1!
I have a 3 also and feel quality is the same.
One thing, reading all your gripes with the suspension, maybe I made the right decision in NOT getting the sport suspension. I have no real suspension issues.
Yeah the steering is a bit heavy, perhaps not as tight as a box, but all in all, after 16 months, still a happy camper!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #28
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4tthew View Post
I have three issues with your review. 1. Porsche has never been and still is not know for anywhere near BMW build quality. Lexus is another matter but there's no way the 1er is much less, if any, less solid than a Porsche. 2. Unless you're comparing the 1 to a Porsche the transmission is absolutely NOT sloppy. Notchy-sometimes, but it is tighter than (insert vagina reference) and definitely tighter than most cars. and 3. Suspension-the car has one of the better stock suspensions I've ridden on. Again it's not fair to compare it to a Porsche, but it is stiff and very controlled-way more so than most cars in its class (at least with the sport package).
You are simply wrong about Porsche, maybe you had a bad experience with a 996 or an early 986, but the build quality of Porsches Since 2005 is top notch and puts the 335 to shame.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #29
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

This thread is putting me off of the 1...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #30
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
This thread is putting me off of the 1...
It shouldn't, but hey . Your loss.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:31 AM   #31
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGoneRogue View Post
It shouldn't, but hey . Your loss.
I know, and I have not even driven one yet. But, I can relate to where some of the 1 owners are coming from, and I have spoiled myself (my last 100,000 miles have been in Porsches). I like the size of the 1, I hate how big every car on the market is getting. I will need a decent back seat within the next 3 years (its getting to be that time in life) and I don't love to proportions of the E92.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #32
HondaGoneRogue
They like my Swag...
Rep

Garage List
I feel ya. Soon the one series will be yesterdays 5 series. It's no super car but it's fun as hell. The test drive pretty much seals the deal.

2008 AW 135i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #33
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

I'll give it a fair test drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 12:44 AM   #34
MOCKBA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135 convertible

The thread is very valuable. Didn't do homework and bought wrong house? Not a problem, sell it and buy another one, you can even make some money on equity. Didn't do homework and married a wrong woman, file divorce, and you can earn some money from her. But if you didn't do proper homework and bought wrong car, then you only lose money especially at current economy. Test drive all cars in 1ser niche before making decision. Test drive even different cars, for example I test drove Lexus LS46 and Audi A8. Do not end with first test drive especially if you got negative feeling, do 7 test drives at different dealership to check car in different situation. Talk to SA to figure out how frequently your considered model is in shop. It will help you avoid a big disappointment after a year of ownership as OP has.
      08-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #35
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcracer_tx View Post
The build quality: My main concern with going from Lexus and Porsche. I must say that I am actually disappointed with the overall feeling of "solidness" of the car. Lexus is definitely a much better built car, and Porsche is still much better as well. The car seems to lack the feeling of confidence in reliability and driving feel of quality.
Porsche is actually been voted the best quality, and it has one of the best quality car. Lexus has the best reliability. BMW are not known for either. All long time BMW owners can tell you that.

Quote:

The Engine: This is the best part of the car by far, and is very fun. I currently stock ( I am going to buy another JB3 or CP-E Standback), but the engine is very exciting, and the tone is great. This does not come without flaws, as the car does sound bad at idle when cold, and I have low RPM misfires that I am going to take it to the dealer for at 13k miles. With boltons, the car is an animal ( I was making 384 RWTQ on a mustang dyno with just RR intake, JB3, and Remus quad axle-back exhaust on a mix of 91 and 93). I am sure I was making over 400 with the RR downpipes, CP-BOV/hardpipe, and 93 on map 5.
This is what BMW is know for - the engine.

Quote:
The transmission: I had very mixed emotions from the beginning. It is pretty notchy and sloppy, and definitely not the best for a car of this caliber. I added the BMW SSK and CDV mod, and while it is better, it still leaves a lot to be desired for the reputation BMW has for silky smooth drivelines. It couldn't hold a candle to the 550 edition Boxster S I had before this car.
Porsche is in another league - you really can't compare both. If you compare it to other makes, the BMW has a great gear box.

Quote:
The suspension: I can sum this up pretty quickly: It Blows. It is very nervous at high speeds, and leans like a 1970's muscle car. This will soon be taken care of with KW coilovers, and with my front sway bar I already have. I would recommend this to anyone buying this car as the sport suspension labeled as an ///M suspension is a joke.
Couldn't agree more - this is certainly the worst BMW suspension set up I have driven. It sacrificed dynamics with comfort for the runflats. While the performance suspension (which is hopefully to be installed soon) from people on the forum, should have been the M suspension.

Quote:
Logic 7 Stereo: It is definitely a great stereo, and much better than any Bose system than I've ever listed to. It is not near as good as a Mark Levinson or Nakamichi, but I am happy with it.

It is great, but not that far off from the Lexus Mark Levinson. While the Lexus Mark Levinson was the best I have heard in a car (I haven't yet experienced BMW Inidividual Sound), it is a disappointment carrying the Mark Levinson name. Of course you can't compare to any decent home system.

Quote:
I-Drive: The least user-friendly Nav system/ Car control system I have ever used. Stop cheaping out BMW and get a dash integrated touch-screen system like Lexus.
The new system is much much much much better. It is much safer easier to navigate than the Lexus touch screen. Too bad you had the 08.

Quote:
Comfort Access: I would pass on this option if I built the car again as it is overpriced, and can sometimes not allow you to unlock the doors without removing the key from your pocket.

Not perfect, but I can't leave without CA now. Every of my car will have CA. It is to do with height. It's fine if you hang the key around your neck... which I do before I had CA.

Quote:
Overall: The car is very nice, but BMW needs to spend more time on suspension, and options development. They also need to put in place a maintenance program that that will keep your car in good shape if you follow, instead of pushing a crappy one and advertising free maintenance. It's disingenuous, and I hope nobody actually waits 15k miles to change oil as it will damage your engine in the long run.
In summary, the main thing BMW fails here is the suspension setup.. it is a poor compromise with runflats. You have valid points on others, but you can't really compare BMW with Porsche in shifting and dynamics. You are looking at very different price point there. The 1 series is the entry to BMW. What the 1er still holds despite the poor suspension, is its dynamics. With a proper suspension setup, you can have much better predictability. Good review, but I don't think it is fair for you to compare it to a Porsche. (or Lexus for reliability and built)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #36
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

This is what BMW is know for - the engine.
I completely disagree, BMW has always been a chassis/handling company. Until the N54 (excluding M cars, but prior to the E46 M3 it is true in the US) BMWs were never the most powerful or fastest accelerating cars in their class yet they were still the best because they did everything better then the competition.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #37
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep

Don't get me wrong, the I6s from BMW have always been good, torquey and smooth but that is not what made BMWs the best in class. Even a BMW 318i drives better then the competition.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #38
former
Practical Idealist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i Coupe

I haven't had the car for a year yet - I originally picked it up in Munich in October of last year as one of the 1st 2009s. I think that makes it a bit different than the OP's review which was an '08. I respect his opinions, but thought it might be helpful to share mine as well.

Build Quality is mediocre. I just recently had the car in for a major service appointment at 7,500 miles to address, the rear view mirror that wouldn't stay in place, the cracked third brake light, the rattling trim on the dash, the rattles in the back deck, a jagged edge on the BMW emblem on the steering wheel, some intermittent iDrive issues (one of the earliest '09s after all) and an interim oil change. That list of issues exceeds the number of issues by far that I had in years of ownership of my e46 330i, but doesn't begin match the number of problems with my 1st gen Z3. So, I'll put it right in the middle.

The engine is top notch. Lots of zing where and when you want it and still gets very good fuel economy for a 300 hp car. The performance is a very good balance of price/performance/fuel economy.

The 6MT transmission is a delight. This car is my daily driver and I do not have any significant issues with it at all. On one fateful day I spent 3 hours in stop and go traffic and other than my leg starting to cramp up, the gear box itself remained easily to use, with great daily usability. I always know what gear I'm in and it's easy to drive both smooth and aggressively when needed.

The handling is right on par for a GT. I'm not sure why so many people are attempting to compare it directly to sports cars. Perhaps it is because it really doesn't have any natural competitors, but the 1 isn't a Boxster. The 1 has a back seat; It sits up higher and has a different character. That's not to say that it isn't a joy to drive in the twisties - I think it's great to do some canyon carving. But my point is to have reasonable expectations. It does a very capable job for what it is.

I had no issues with high speed stability throughout any of my extended touring on the Autobahn at triple digit speeds. On other trips to Las Vegas from L.A. I've also had no issues. The latter was certainly not at extended triple digit speeds but sometimes traffic gets moving out there.

The stock run flats are clearly a compromise as they are heavy and negatively impact the theoretically ideal handling characteristics of the car. However, given the conditions of our stateside roads, it is a compromise I am willing to live with. I'm just hoping that by the time I run through these the next gen runflats will be available.

The technology options are fantastic. With the combination of the '09 iDrive, satellite radio and the iPod adapter the entertainment options are endless. The iDrive serves as a complete vehicle information, entertainment and management system that ties together all the options, from the 3D maps, the traffic info, the iPod searching and playlists, bluetooth phone integration, voice command, options for the "gong" volume, the parked car vent, etc.

Comfort Access is probably considered part of the technology options, but since it's available without the other stuff, I'll mention it. If you want a system that works perfectly every time, wait for the next generation of CA. If you are ok with about a 95% system, then you'll like it. I am fine with it as is and love to not have to remove the keys from my pocket or bag. It's especially helpful when my hands are full and I don't have to fumble for the key as well.

I also have the Premium package which includes the fold away mirrors. I don't use them that often as the 1 is a small car already, but it's nice to have when I have to park on the street.

Maintenance intervals are probably too long. I had the dealer change my oil after I took redelivery with about 1,500 miles on it. And then again at 7,500 miles. Especially during the early engine life cycle, I think this is pretty important.

In summary, I find the 1 to be a very capable and fun daily driver. It isn't a perfect car - they have yet to make any such car - but it does a lot of things right and I have fun on every cloverleaf on-ramp I can. And that is important to me, because cars are more that just a way to get from one point to another for me. I want to have fun along the way!
      08-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #39
BlackjackMulligan
Most interesting Roadster
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 Z3.0 Roady;'10 C300 Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCKBA View Post
The thread is very valuable. Didn't do homework and bought wrong house? Not a problem, sell it and buy another one, you can even make some money on equity. Didn't do homework and married a wrong woman, file divorce, and you can earn some money from her. But if you didn't do proper homework and bought wrong car, then you only lose money especially at current economy. Test drive all cars in 1ser niche before making decision. Test drive even different cars, for example I test drove Lexus LS46 and Audi A8. Do not end with first test drive especially if you got negative feeling, do 7 test drives at different dealership to check car in different situation. Talk to SA to figure out how frequently your considered model is in shop. It will help you avoid a big disappointment after a year of ownership as OP has.
I test drove my car twice and enjoyed it then, and still do now. But there's no way possible to determine how living with a car on a day to day basis will be based on two half hour drives with a salesman talking to me the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by former View Post
I haven't had the car for a year yet - I originally picked it up in Munich in October of last year as one of the 1st 2009s. I think that makes it a bit different than the OP's review which was an '08. I respect his opinions, but thought it might be helpful to share mine as well.

Build Quality is mediocre. I just recently had the car in for a major service appointment at 7,500 miles to address, the rear view mirror that wouldn't stay in place, the cracked third brake light, the rattling trim on the dash, the rattles in the back deck, a jagged edge on the BMW emblem on the steering wheel, some intermittent iDrive issues (one of the earliest '09s after all) and an interim oil change. That list of issues exceeds the number of issues by far that I had in years of ownership of my e46 330i, but doesn't begin match the number of problems with my 1st gen Z3. So, I'll put it right in the middle.

The engine is top notch. Lots of zing where and when you want it and still gets very good fuel economy for a 300 hp car. The performance is a very good balance of price/performance/fuel economy.

The 6MT transmission is a delight. This car is my daily driver and I do not have any significant issues with it at all. On one fateful day I spent 3 hours in stop and go traffic and other than my leg starting to cramp up, the gear box itself remained easily to use, with great daily usability. I always know what gear I'm in and it's easy to drive both smooth and aggressively when needed.

The handling is right on par for a GT. I'm not sure why so many people are attempting to compare it directly to sports cars. Perhaps it is because it really doesn't have any natural competitors, but the 1 isn't a Boxster. The 1 has a back seat; It sits up higher and has a different character. That's not to say that it isn't a joy to drive in the twisties - I think it's great to do some canyon carving. But my point is to have reasonable expectations. It does a very capable job for what it is.

I had no issues with high speed stability throughout any of my extended touring on the Autobahn at triple digit speeds. On other trips to Las Vegas from L.A. I've also had no issues. The latter was certainly not at extended triple digit speeds but sometimes traffic gets moving out there.

The stock run flats are clearly a compromise as they are heavy and negatively impact the theoretically ideal handling characteristics of the car. However, given the conditions of our stateside roads, it is a compromise I am willing to live with. I'm just hoping that by the time I run through these the next gen runflats will be available.

The technology options are fantastic. With the combination of the '09 iDrive, satellite radio and the iPod adapter the entertainment options are endless. The iDrive serves as a complete vehicle information, entertainment and management system that ties together all the options, from the 3D maps, the traffic info, the iPod searching and playlists, bluetooth phone integration, voice command, options for the "gong" volume, the parked car vent, etc.

Comfort Access is probably considered part of the technology options, but since it's available without the other stuff, I'll mention it. If you want a system that works perfectly every time, wait for the next generation of CA. If you are ok with about a 95% system, then you'll like it. I am fine with it as is and love to not have to remove the keys from my pocket or bag. It's especially helpful when my hands are full and I don't have to fumble for the key as well.

I also have the Premium package which includes the fold away mirrors. I don't use them that often as the 1 is a small car already, but it's nice to have when I have to park on the street.

Maintenance intervals are probably too long. I had the dealer change my oil after I took redelivery with about 1,500 miles on it. And then again at 7,500 miles. Especially during the early engine life cycle, I think this is pretty important.

In summary, I find the 1 to be a very capable and fun daily driver. It isn't a perfect car - they have yet to make any such car - but it does a lot of things right and I have fun on every cloverleaf on-ramp I can. And that is important to me, because cars are more that just a way to get from one point to another for me. I want to have fun along the way!
great write up

- Joe Walsh
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #40
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

1 year here in a couple days, I still love the car, the only things I do not like, and I'll keep it simple and brief

hpfp, this has kept me from doing long trips until mine fails, I take the wifes jeep instead
runflats, I hate them, nuff said
body roll, too much, but the suspension should not be made more firm to fix this, needs bigger sways front & rear, I would not want the springs or valving changed, that would be too rough for me

that's it, I love my 135i
Appreciate 0