BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

JB3 or Dinan at Track Day Events?

I was curious to know if anyone had any experience using the JB3 or Dinan Stage 2 at track-day events such as HPDE schools.

Most of what I've seen online related to track-use is dragstrip runs. This is a full blast of throttle for about 12 seconds.

The BMWCCA schools usually run 30 minutes sessions, and depending on the track, can have periods of WOT over 30 seconds, and sustained speeds of 120+MPH. I'm concerned that this would just be too much strain on the cooling system, turbos and engine in general for a sustained period. Additionally, most tracks I'm running are in SoCal where air temperatures are typically 90+, putting additional strain on the motor. That said, an extra 80 HP or so would be a lot of fun.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards the Dinan tune over the JB3. I obviously like the price of the JB3 better, but my car is still my daily driver and CA has made it next to impossible to buy race gas for it. From what I can tell online, the JB3 is most truly impressive using maps requiring race gas, and that's not going to happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
adrean8j
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135I

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanBMW View Post
I was curious to know if anyone had any experience using the JB3 or Dinan Stage 2 at track-day events such as HPDE schools.

Most of what I've seen online related to track-use is dragstrip runs. This is a full blast of throttle for about 12 seconds.

The BMWCCA schools usually run 30 minutes sessions, and depending on the track, can have periods of WOT over 30 seconds, and sustained speeds of 120+MPH. I'm concerned that this would just be too much strain on the cooling system, turbos and engine in general for a sustained period. Additionally, most tracks I'm running are in SoCal where air temperatures are typically 90+, putting additional strain on the motor. That said, an extra 80 HP or so would be a lot of fun.

FWIW, I'm leaning towards the Dinan tune over the JB3. I obviously like the price of the JB3 better, but my car is still my daily driver and CA has made it next to impossible to buy race gas for it. From what I can tell online, the JB3 is most truly impressive using maps requiring race gas, and that's not going to happen.

I cannot comment on JB3 or DINAN...but I can comment on the Procede Rev. II on track days. I have done 3 HPDE with it installed on my car.

The first HPDE@Road Atlanta I left it off after my first run. Trying to learn the track with that much HP was becomming a scarey prospect so I left it in valet mode. Temps were in the mid-80's and I did not go into limp mode. However my buddy and fellow forum member did go into limp mode with his Dinan tuned car (don't know if this is normal, just know it happened to him).

The second HPDE@Roebling Road I did my final two sessions with it on. Running roughly 14-15psi and it ran fine without heatsoak or limp mode. (This was with stock intercooler.) Temps were in the 65-80 range. My oil temps stayed in the 255-260range.

The third HPDE@Roebling Road I ran 3 sessions with it on out of 4. At that time I had upgraded my IC (HPF). I ran flawlessly at 15psi without zero heatsoak or limp modes. Oil temps were as high as 280-285. Track temps were in the 95-105 range (it was hooooooot).

On a side note the Vorsteiner hood was wonderful at helping the car dissipate engine heat after each run. Didn't even have to raise the hood (Thank god because I didn't want to keep taping the leading edge after each run due to hood shake/lift). Hope that helps a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Ruffan
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I've got 9 HPDE days on my Dinan 2 (no upgraded oil cooler or intercooler). Never overheated or felt like I was hurting the car/engine.

FWIW, my service tech knows all about my HPDE driving as does my insurance company, so I feel confident in running the car at these driving schools.