12-03-2011, 08:53 AM   #1
durabond 72
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: black

3rd Gear Downshift Grinds

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've had my 1M Coupe for a few days and have covered about 250km ...

Just wanted to know if anyone has grinded going down into 3rd gear (using heel-toe to downshift)? I've done it 3-4 times and only going down into 3rd.

I've been racing competitively for a number of years with no gearbox failures and have always been smooth on the gearbox of my street cars. But, for some reason I have found myself grinding a couple of times when only downshifting into 3rd. Although it has only been about 3-4 times, it is definetly 3-4 times too many.

Has any one else experienced this?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

No man, never had issue. You think something is wrong with the tranny?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I would first change the trans fluid and make sure the correct fluid is in there! MTF-LT-5. Not LT4 or LT3, your trans needs LT-5. IF the trans still grinds after that... I am affraid your car will need a fresh trans - since BMW does not let its dealers rebuild trans/engines. Also make sure the correct amount of trans fluid is in the trans, some should spill out of the fill hole. G.L.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

It's happened to me about 3 times. I am no professional driver but not a novice either. I think I was getting too excited and letting off the clutch early... Now Just taking my time up/down shifting, heel-toe. This car gets me pumped up!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:18 AM   #5
Mdawood
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vo 1m

Now that I read what I wrote- my grinding was completely due to driver stupidity! Idiot!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
durabond 72
Enlisted Member
Rep

I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with the tranny, it feels tight and sharp.

I think it's my mistake. I haven't grinded in years, but maybe it's just the low biting point of the new clutch. But, since it's only happening in 3rd I thought I'd throw it out there.

Good point on the fluid - Does anyone know what kind of fluid is specified for the 1M tranny?

But - other than that the tranny is a peach.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:52 AM   #7
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by durabond 72 View Post
I've had my 1M Coupe for a few days and have covered about 250km ...

Just wanted to know if anyone has grinded going down into 3rd gear (using heel-toe to downshift)? I've done it 3-4 times and only going down into 3rd.

I've been racing competitively for a number of years with no gearbox failures and have always been smooth on the gearbox of my street cars. But, for some reason I have found myself grinding a couple of times when only downshifting into 3rd. Although it has only been about 3-4 times, it is definetly 3-4 times too many.

Has any one else experienced this?
Have you peformed the CDV delete mod yet?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: INTERLAGOS ZCP

Garage List
Get rid of the CDV.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #9
durabond 72
Enlisted Member
Rep

what is CDV?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
anubis
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

clutch delay valve

http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm
      12-03-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
durabond 72
Enlisted Member
Rep

By the sounds of what is described in that link it might just be the problem. Whenever the grind happens I always find myself wondering about the timing of the clutch and its engagement.

What is the change like once the mod is done - especially on the 1M?

Really, if you've timed the shifted perfectly if you miss the clutch on the downshift it still shouldn't grind (not recommended though!)

Thanks a lot. I'll give them a call on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:20 AM   #12
anubis
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

Can't speak for the 1M but I can tell you that on the E46 it's pretty much night and day difference.

Also, check where your clutch biting pointing is and maybe diy a better clutch stop.
      12-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by durabond 72 View Post
By the sounds of what is described in that link it might just be the problem. Whenever the grind happens I always find myself wondering about the timing of the clutch and its engagement.

What is the change like once the mod is done - especially on the 1M?

Really, if you've timed the shifted perfectly if you miss the clutch on the downshift it still shouldn't grind (not recommended though!)

Thanks a lot. I'll give them a call on Monday.
Make sure your shop knows EXACTLY how to do a CDV delete correctly. The 1M has a plastic CDV. Do NOT let them drill it. The metal restrictor diaphragm inside the valve needs to be pushed out with a metal pin. Drilling is only for metal CDV's, not found on our cars. Bleeding the clutch is also paramount afterwards, either with a pressure bleeder or pumping the pedal 50 times (self-bleeding system as per Active Autowerke). Do a thread search in this forum to find images and detailed instructions for your shop. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #14
HALOTHANE
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
P.S. The gearbox takes over 2000 miles to really settle in.....although the manual states 350-500 miles for break-in of transmission. You still should not experience grinding, however. Also, try heel-toeing without M mode....accelerator modulation is more linear without.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
durabond 72
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. Though all grinds have come in regular mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #16
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

i would think the stock cdv would give you more room for error, no? doing the mod would make the clutch engage quicker thereby less room for error.

from my experience, bmw's are really tight when new and need quite a few thousand miles to properly break in. so be more deliberate with your shifts and take your time when the car is new, it will thank you down the line.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedM View Post
i would think the stock cdv would give you more room for error, no? doing the mod would make the clutch engage quicker thereby less room for error.

from my experience, bmw's are really tight when new and need quite a few thousand miles to properly break in. so be more deliberate with your shifts and take your time when the car is new, it will thank you down the line.
Good to know...I am finding the 1-2 shift to be slow. No grinding, just takes a moment before it pops in. I have not wanted to force it. Occasionally, the stars align and it goes quickly.

I am debating whether or not to do the CDV delete.

Reworking the clutch stop is a must as my foot has to extend to reach the bottom of the pedal throw. If I move the seat ahead, the geometry gets all wrong for the gas/brake.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 05:15 AM   #18
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
Good to know...I am finding the 1-2 shift to be slow. No grinding, just takes a moment before it pops in. I have not wanted to force it. Occasionally, the stars align and it goes quickly.

I am debating whether or not to do the CDV delete.

Reworking the clutch stop is a must as my foot has to extend to reach the bottom of the pedal throw. If I move the seat ahead, the geometry gets all wrong for the gas/brake.
1-2 shift will be a little tight at slow speeds, I'm sure that will loosen up over time. Make sure your clutch stop gives enough room to fully disengage your clutch. I've never been a big fan of those myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #19
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

I just confirmed from my dealership that they put in the MTF-Lt-2 fluid in my car in place of the MTF-LT-5 fluid,

Can someone clarify what are the effects of the incorrect fluid being put into my car?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
burnsniper
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AW F80 ZCP & 1M BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedM View Post
1-2 shift will be a little tight at slow speeds, I'm sure that will loosen up over time. Make sure your clutch stop gives enough room to fully disengage your clutch. I've never been a big fan of those myself.
I have noticed this when family members have driven the car. This seems to be somewhat dependent on engine speed. Short shifting 1st to second is a little tight. 2.5k to 5k it is smooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #21
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Don't touch anything. If the issue persists, take it to the dealer and reproduce it w/ a mechanic and/or SA in the car. You've got a warranty after all.

Let them try to tell you it's normal, and then figure out if you're going to start monkeying w/ the car on your own.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #22
theshiningnova
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MVO View Post
P.S. The gearbox takes over 2000 miles to really settle in.....although the manual states 350-500 miles for break-in of transmission. You still should not experience grinding, however. Also, try heel-toeing without M mode....accelerator modulation is more linear without.
I believe the sport mode(WITH M button pressed) only makes the throttle responds faster to your inputs. It does not make the accelerator modulation any more linear.

It's much harder for me to heel toe without M button pressed cos I have to jab the accelerator much harder to get the rev up
Appreciate 0