BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #1
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Windscreen Washer Fluid

The car is starting to display the dreaded "blocked washer pump filter" problem - pump runs but little is delivered through the jets. Seems to be a fairly common issue north of the equator...

I pulled the line off at the jets and blew back into the bottle a few times and that cleared it however, I think it will be temporary relief. I do plan a more permanent fix.

Questions:

1. Is it a common problem here in Oz?; and

2. What's the consensus on a good fluid to use to prevent this algae and gunk from building up?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #2
BEAM3R
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, E36 M3, 2002, 700, Isetta

Yes. Common problem. I've had it on all three of my 1-Series and my friends have too.

The only way to fix it is to take off the guard liner and physically take the pump out of the reservoir and clean it out that way.

Don't use any special cleaner after that, just water.

Also, I was told by a BMW tech that you should never blow compressed air backward into the reservoir. Apparently the pump spins backwards and doing so can damage the ECU. I found it a bit extreme but that's what he said.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 12:30 AM   #3
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Hmmm...ok, thanks for the reply. I just blew back down the line with my feeble lung capacity, so highly likely there was no harm done to the pump or ECU.

I think it has some detergent type additive in it from when I bought the car. I'll look at washer bottle removal and cleaning if/when the problem re-occurs.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 06:58 PM   #4
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Strange, I've never heard of this issue before. I've driven a collective 200,000kms on my 1ers and have never had a problem with mine.
      11-20-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
Cavs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

When I bought my car second hand the washer jets were blocked so I blew compressed air down the lines and drained the bottle that way. A whole bunch of green slime/algae looking stuff came out. I did that a few times to clear it all out and the jets have been working fine ever since.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 03:15 PM   #6
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

AFAIK windscreen additive prevents alagae growth, which is why its recommended to use it.

I use the stoners product from SCA
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2016, 04:20 AM   #7
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Thanks for the tips.

Well, I have to say that I've never come across this problem in 48 years of car ownership. Probably has something to do with the BMW's washer bottle location - warm and dark.

A wash fluid with an algaecide sounds like the thing to use in the BMW. The two Mazdas are happy with tap water and a bit of Bar's Bugs.

Anyway, managed to clean out most of the "growth" by syphoning and refilling about 10 ten times. Just running plain water ATM and it seems OK.

Time will tell. I could always try a bit of algaecide to kill the algae and syphon that out if it starts to clog up again.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #8
Dat Aus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 135i

Sorry to hijack the thread a little bit.

Ever since I bought my car, there has been a leak in the washer fluid reservoir and it hasn't held any water. Today when replacing a HID ballast, I had my mechanic poke around to see if he could find the source of the leak. Long story short, it was a hose joint that was undone and was leaking. Problem fixed and now the reservoir holds water.

BUT the low-fluid light is still there. The little warning triangle on the dash is driving me crazy and it won't go away even though the reservoir is full. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 04:19 AM   #9
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Maybe the error code has to be cleared.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 01:43 AM   #10
JBT2
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

My windscreen washers failed today so I pulled the bottle out and did the job properly. Good info here if you strike this issue: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...3#post20935943
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 12:59 AM   #11
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM3R View Post
Yes. Common problem. I've had it on all three of my 1-Series and my friends have too.

The only way to fix it is to take off the guard liner and physically take the pump out of the reservoir and clean it out that way.

Also, I was told by a BMW tech that you should never blow compressed air backward into the reservoir. Apparently the pump spins backwards and doing so can damage the ECU. I found it a bit extreme but that's what he said.
Tell your BMW tech to stop smoking the whacky tabbaci

I almost fell of my chair in hysterics
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 03:56 AM   #12
juld0zer
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Prev 135i 7DCT, Now 130i 6sp

Don't laugh. It happens! You'd have to be a lunatic (the kind that loves to hear those turbo keyrings buzz) to get to that point but it doesn't take much. What happens is exactly as the previous poster described - shooting compressed air thru the plumbing long enough causes the pump to spin and generate electricity. I cant remember exactly how much but it was enough to surprise all of us - somewhere in the region of a static shock, ie low current but high voltage. There is no diode or anything in the circuit to prevent electricity going the wrong way and frying the JBE.

So if you really must, open the filler cap and cover with a damp rag so when it barfs you and your engine bay doesnt get covered in the filth. Shoot short bursts only and wait a few seconds between bursts. Sucks that you cant easily unplug the pumps like on E46. Otherwise, cough up the $50 or so in parts and make a day of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2016, 04:02 AM   #13
martymil
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: Garage is to big to list.

All electric motors have internal diodes to stop this especially in cars

If I had a spare I would pull one apart to show you guys, unless BMW are such tigh arses and used some el cheapo reject brand

If they use a cheap motor its not the current produced that would blow it

It would be but because the polarity of the current was reversed

Last edited by martymil; 12-25-2016 at 04:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
BEAM3R
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1M, E36 M3, 2002, 700, Isetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by martymil View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM3R View Post

Tell your BMW tech to stop smoking the whacky tabbaci

I almost fell of my chair in hysterics
Exact same guy I put you in contact with for those DP's haha!
Appreciate 0