BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #23
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneaabe View Post
I believe, that the euro plates that you get when you do ED are fixed to the car by 2-sided 3M adhesive tape.

So this begs the question:
Why can't we use that 2-sided tape to stick our front license plates on the bumper?
Is there any law in US prohibiting "sticking" the front plate to the bumper?
Sorry dont mean to hijack this thread.... but has anyone tried this??? and how strong is the 2sided tape?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #24
Omega Man
Rep
Drives:

Two issues. One is you are supposed to have a front plate. The other is you aren't supposed to have plate covers on your plates. Two years ago I was pulled over for speeding and received a second ticket for the plate cover.

Is it okay to have this kind of a plate cover since you can clearly see the "Texas" (which was the reason Austin changed the law, too many high speed non pursuits and they couldn't get a good license number)?

The good news is, well if it ever happens to you hopefully you'll figure out how to use it to your advantage.

PS: It all looks very nice and thanks for sharing
The black and red andrenaline rush has finally made it home from Sebastian Olszewski and the group at Mike Smith Beaumont. Got it right before the big storm hit, as in 36 hours before. So lucky. Anyway, these folks are a great dealership to do business with.
Ordered June 2008
ED July 2008
Stateside delivery September 2008
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #25
balaroue
Private
Rep
Drives:

I saw this plate bracket in another thread...

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/plate.htm

I may go this route. Not sure I like it to the side, it looks more normal in the center I think.

I used the double sided tape on my other car, then removed it after it passed inspection. Never had any issues (in 4 years).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2008, 07:42 PM   #26
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Where did you order this bracket from???
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 12:38 AM   #27
tonytigerking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaroue View Post
I saw this plate bracket in another thread...

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/plate.htm

I may go this route. Not sure I like it to the side, it looks more normal in the center I think.

I used the double sided tape on my other car, then removed it after it passed inspection. Never had any issues (in 4 years).
Inspection?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 01:45 AM   #28
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Katera,
I think I may have originally provided you with the link to this license frame supplier, but I should also have mentioned that I have read about cars backing into the license frame and bumping it... and when they do, the frame and/or the nuts and bolts have been pressed hard enough into the front bumper to permanently scar the bumper. That sucks.

You can likely prevent this without too much fuss, and it will be worth the peace of mind. I strongly suggest that anyone that uses this frame (which I think is a great idea to satisfy the legal inspections and "fix-it tickets") should put some padding, little bumpers, or any type of shielding, in key positions on the backside of the installation to keep it from potentially denting into the front bumper and thereby scratching or denting it permanently. Also, any bolts that are too long and have excess length should definately be replaced with shorter ones.

Just a little tip... you can take it or leave it.

BTW, your car did not need a bath. You've got to be kidding. :wink:
      07-05-2008, 10:05 AM   #29
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TagMan View Post
Katera,
I think I may have originally provided you with the link to this license frame supplier, but I should also have mentioned that I have read about cars backing into the license frame and bumping it... and when they do, the frame and/or the nuts and bolts have been pressed hard enough into the front bumper to permanently scar the bumper. That sucks.

You can likely prevent this without too much fuss, and it will be worth the peace of mind. I strongly suggest that anyone that uses this frame (which I think is a great idea to satisfy the legal inspections and "fix-it tickets") should put some padding, little bumpers, or any type of shielding, in key positions on the backside of the installation to keep it from potentially denting into the front bumper and thereby scratching or denting it permanently. Also, any bolts that are too long and have excess length should definately be replaced with shorter ones.

Just a little tip... you can take it or leave it.

BTW, your car did not need a bath. You've got to be kidding. :wink:

Yea I thought about that. The one thing I will prob do is get a little shorter plastic bolts for the top attachment. It is though really on there. There is little to no play in the frame so someone would have to hit me to cause damage, and that would prob be the least of my worries should someone back into her.

As for the license frame, you are exactly right. Texas has that gay law which virtually 100% of people including dealers ignore. If I get stopped for having a license plate frame on the front they can kiss my arse. I will eat that one. It's the "no plate" that people in Kingwood get stopped for a bunch and cops are everywhere.

One thing mentioned above was that putting it in the middle "looked" better. It might, but take a good long look at people's cars who mount it in the middle and then look at mine. Notice anything? Middle mounts hang the plate right down over the air intake while mine leaves it almost 95% obstruction free. BMW put that air intake there for a reason, and I am not going to obstruct flow to it with a plate. :smile:
-Boston Grey Leather with Black High Gloss Accent
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 10:14 AM   #30
Shocker
1 in the Stink
Rep
Drives:

Thats hot! I'm gonna have to get that once I get back!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #31
TagMan
Car Addict!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Yea I thought about that. The one thing I will prob do is get a little shorter plastic bolts for the top attachment. It is though really on there. There is little to no play in the frame so someone would have to hit me to cause damage, and that would prob be the least of my worries should someone back into her.

As for the license frame, you are exactly right. Texas has that gay law which virtually 100% of people including dealers ignore. If I get stopped for having a license plate frame on the front they can kiss my arse. I will eat that one. It's the "no plate" that people in Kingwood get stopped for a bunch and cops are everywhere.

One thing mentioned above was that putting it in the middle "looked" better. It might, but take a good long look at people's cars who mount it in the middle and then look at mine. Notice anything? Middle mounts hang the plate right down over the air intake while mine leaves it almost 95% obstruction free. BMW put that air intake there for a reason, and I am not going to obstruct flow to it with a plate. :smile:
Well... I see your point about air flow, although typical frames are generally blocking the solid part of the front bumper, and not the air intake. It is, however, better than the removeable center-mounted unit that does block the air intake, if that is what you are referring to.

Also, the advantage of the one you are using is that typical front bumper impact is in the center, and that would mean that yours is out of range part of the time... except for the inside edge where I see you have bolts that are clearly too long, and would penetrate your front bumper upon impact. It really doesn't take as much pressure from a car backing into yours to bend that frame bracket right into your bumper.

Shorten those bolts, and put some protective material behind the assembly, and you've most likely got the best solution out there!

edit: California law requires a front plate. Many folks here do not comply. Generally, if you get stopped for some other reason, then the officer will tack on the missing plate violation, and the requirement is to get it fixed, and prove it is fixed at a DMV office, or at certain police headquarters, and then bring or mail that proof of compliance to the Court. So... the trick is to use the "bumper-free" device, without drilling any holes, and then then go "prove" the license is mounted on the front of the vehicle. Once it is "proven", the plate comes back off. That's why I like the "no-bumper" license frame... it could be a great temporary fix IF i ever need it, without drilling holes.
      07-07-2008, 10:06 AM   #32
GQ 135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Looks good may have to get one myself.
      07-07-2008, 03:32 PM   #33
Jace
Private
Rep
Drives:

KAT,

Your an innovator...Please post the link for the mini antenna

thanks...

128i Convertible / SGM / Black Top / Sports Package / Leatherette / Heated Seats / IPOD / BMW Assist

It took just 26 days from production to my driveway!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 04:00 PM   #34
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

You may want to put something over that screw or stick something to your front bumper to protect it. I have that license plate holder and the license plate bent making a screw shaped impression in the front bumper. I ended up painting a rubber foot with touch-up paint and sticking it to the front bumper to preven against further damage. See this thread for pics:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=10787&page=2
      07-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #35
heybuddyjb
Rep
Drives:

And the mini antenna...

where did you get the mini antenna and how much?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 07:03 PM   #36
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
You may want to put something over that screw or stick something to your front bumper to protect it. I have that license plate holder and the license plate bent making a screw shaped impression in the front bumper. I ended up painting a rubber foot with touch-up paint and sticking it to the front bumper to preven against further damage. See this thread for pics:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...t=10787&page=2

I like the little protector you did there. I will most likely do something like that, I do love the plate though. It really works well.

As for the mini antenna here is the link at Bimmian... It's about half way down the page. I got the 4" with no signal loss.

http://www.bimmian.com/82/
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:06 PM   #37
Upgrade+
Good life
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3 AW

Hey Katera, any new shots of the plate bracket from different angles? I'm trying to decide if I want this or the one from skenedesign. Thanks. You will be my deciding factor.
Current: 08 E90 M3 Alpine White Former: 11 135i Msport Space Gray -Former: 07 335i Titanium Silver E92- Former: 08 135i Alpine White E82- Past: 06 Subaru STI WRB- Past: 04 Audi S4 Imola yellow- Past:97 Honda prelude Ice blue
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #38
HeyMoe53
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 M240 AW/Coral MT

KAT - You have one very nice looking ride. Maybe it needed a bath in your eyes, but it looked super.

I am not a fan of the Keystone State where I live, but we do not have front license plates!

Life is good : )

PS - I'm wondering how many states do not have a front license plate?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 10:56 PM   #39
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

These are the first pictures that have made me like the vert. Great photos. Even my wife was in awe of how nice it looks. Is that really grey leather?? It is really hard to tell from the lighting, but regardless the photos are simply great.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #40
imported_Katera
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1 View Post
These are the first pictures that have made me like the vert. Great photos. Even my wife was in awe of how nice it looks. Is that really grey leather?? It is really hard to tell from the lighting, but regardless the photos are simply great.

Yup, Boston Grey. I had Taupe ordered because on the website Boston Grey looked blue. Then by chance I saw it in person one day. I changed my order that afternoon to Grey. One day before she went into actual production, hehe.
-Moonlit Black Top
-Comfort Access
-Premium P.
-Sport P.
-Premium Stereo
-IPOD/USB
-BMW Performance Pedals
-BMW Windscreen
-Sat Radio

Meet Kat!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #41
Sadie114
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the link to the website for the micro. Just ordered mine.
Windscreen- check
Micro antenna- check
Convertible- 3 weeks away
Appreciate 0