BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #1
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
help! alignment advice...not just camber

after a failed install attempt last weekend thanks to stock springs, i'm taking my car in to the shop to get my camber plates installed.

looking for advice on alignment setup, both front and rear.

my understanding so far:

FRONT:
-track setting: max out front camber and set toe slightly (how much?) out
-street setting: dial camber as far back as possible, as limited by how far the toe moves in. how far can i realistically go? 1/8 inch in?
-i've heard people talk about toe in both degrees and inches...what's the usual?
-caster? no idea

REAR:
-max out OEM camber and toe slightly in? again, how much?

anything else i'm overlooking/ignoring/noobing?
-different alignments/cambers for autocross vs track?

thanks for any and all help!

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2011, 07:11 PM   #2
Lubo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 335 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by and 1 View Post
after a failed install attempt last weekend thanks to stock springs, i'm taking my car in to the shop to get my camber plates installed.

looking for advice on alignment setup, both front and rear.

my understanding so far:

FRONT:
-track setting: max out front camber and set toe slightly (how much?) out
-street setting: dial camber as far back as possible, as limited by how far the toe moves in. how far can i realistically go? 1/8 inch in?
-i've heard people talk about toe in both degrees and inches...what's the usual?
-caster? no idea

REAR:
-max out OEM camber and toe slightly in? again, how much?

anything else i'm overlooking/ignoring/noobing?
-different alignments/cambers for autocross vs track?

thanks for any and all help!
I feel your pain, I've struggled with OEM springs and shocks as well.

I've set up the car on the alignment machine and have forgot about it. With about 3 auto-x events and about 3k miles on the tires I do not see any unusual tire wear. My settings were done based on Pixelblue's recomendations and he might run similar setting longer with similar results.

FRONT:
Camber = -2.5*(max allowed on driver side, passenger went to -2.8* )
Toe= 1/8" toe out.
Caster= 7*

Rear:
Camber = -2.0* (will be going back to get more camber as I still see more outer wear after a day of auto-x)
Toe= 3/16" toe in.
Not sure about the caster settings in rear or if there are any.

I've not had a chance to run the car at the real track, an event is coming at the end of the month and I cannot wait! On the auto-X the car is a completely different animal, provided I am also running 255 square now. Car is very balanced with nearly all of under steer dialed out. If you are able to get more camber up front then me then go for it. I am still wearing outer edges faster than I would like, I bet anywhere between -3* to -3.5* is the sweet spot up front.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #3
Frampton
i miss boost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Mercedes C63 AMG P30

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
just got mine done at a real track yesterday, spent 7 hours at the track adjusting and testing.

Front
Camber -2.4 Drivers, -2.6 Passengers
Toe 1/16" Out on each side totaling 1/8"

Rear
Camber -2.2
Toe 1/32" In on each side totaling 1/16"

There is no caster in the rear from my understanding. I did not measure front Caster.

We checked tire temps with a laser and the rear is spot on temps are even across the entire width of the tires. Fronts could use another .5 degrees of camber and would be nearly perfect. Car is extremely planted and almost too balanced. There is zero understeer and zero oversteer. I have to adjust my rear suspension to create a little more oversteer mid corner and my car should be 110%.

We'll see if this setup works for autox though, quite a bit different than the real track...

Oh and I'm running 225/40 Front and 245/40 Rear Dunlop Star Specs on OEM 264's with TCKline coilovers 350#F/700#R and e93 FSB just for a reference.
      06-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #4
and 1
winter mode
Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
thanks for the feedback guys. this is in line with other stuff i've heard, tho @frampton you're running more rear camber than anyone else. most are 1.something or 2 at most. not like .2* makes that big of difference...

my mechanic's backed up, so he said he'd just pick one setting based on my tire wear etc and then we can tweak from there. he's a conservative guy and former turner race mechanic so i'm guessing he'll do 2something for the front. we'll see

picking her up tonight and going straight to autocross tomorrow. hopefully get her sorted in time for a 1day DE at new hampshire on the 30th

Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Bdh821
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Sell it and buy something better. Porsche?
Appreciate 0