BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-19-2024, 03:56 PM   #1
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i M Coupe

Can anyone help with these sudden issues?

I have a 2011 135i N55 running in limp mode. Was running fine until I downshifted on the parkway and had a catastrophic event that left me limping home the last quarter mile. White smoke from exhaust, smells like raw fuel. Various misfire codes 2EFE, 2F00, 2EFF, 2EE4, 2EE7, 2F01, 2EEA, 2EE2, 2EE6, 2EE9. I pulled the plugs. Number one is soaked in fuel. Number 4 is soaked in oil. That back, 5 and 6 coils looked like they were never changed, rotting rust color. After pulling the belly guard, I noticed how saturated the turbo lines were. I performed a smoke test right after the crankcase ventilation connection. I went this far because I had a smaller leak before it from a loose connection. Note- The throttle body side is fine and already replaced with aluminum. At this point, I noticed smoke coming from below, what looks like it's behind the charge pipe. I took an endoscope and snuck it down where the smoke is coming from and this is what I got. I don't know where to start from here before taking to the dealer. I took some pictures, if anyone can help and direct me in the right direction to save money would be great. I can't tell what junction this smoke is coming from. Bad head gasket? Bad injector? I need help. Ran mint until a downshift and then all of sudden not running? Also the coolant was almost 2 quarts low, and to make matters worse, I tested the vacuum housing because I notice oil in the fittings, and there is a small leak from the corner seam, WTF! God help me, i'm so overwhelmed! Name:  BMW Coil 5 and 6.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  359.2 KB

Name:  BMW Main leak second picture.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  BMW Main leak under charge pipe.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  116.7 KB

Name:  BMW Spark plug 4 iol soaked.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  263.3 KB

Name:  BMW Valve cover crack leak.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  242.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:15 PM   #2
N55e82Simon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Garage List
2011 bmw 135i  [9.33]
Yikes. Well the valve cover gasket is shot and the coils look horrible.

I would do a vc gasket, coils and plugs and clear the codes. See what happens. Also figure out why you are losing coolant. Maybe look into that first as it might be the white smoke. But I would start with the obvious and things that will need to be done either way. IMO. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2024, 12:44 PM   #3
PRTSB1M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW3 1M

Good info and advice for a car with similar issues in this thread: https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1737354
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2024, 10:57 PM   #4
ihbase
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90, e91, f31, f87

I start with a compression test. No point in going in for things like a valve cover gasket when you may just have to go back in deeper.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2024, 08:28 PM   #5
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Compression test first. Then leak down if not the same across all cylinders.

That's a lot of oil on the spark plug. I wouldn't think too hard about the rusty coil, your engine cover and cowl wasn't keeping the water out of that hole.

VCG is definitely shot given how much oil you're leaking but I'd definitely start with compression given your codes the low coolant and the fact this started with a missed downshift.
      03-13-2024, 11:54 AM   #6
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ivp...w?usp=drivesdk

I should have mentioned I ran it low and I had just got gas. Upon seeing the amount of fuel in my oil, (viscosity is like water, I can see the timing chain clear as day from oil fill ) the crankcase stinks of fuel, the white smoke that smells of raw fuel and #1 piston soaked in fuel, I endoscope the combustion chamber while the car was off. This is what's going on, the car clicks twice then a pump primes I guess when this happens the injector is opening on the cylinder. I'm guessing when it's running, there is no timing, it's constantly spraying. Video link above. Is it ECU saying to stay open or the injector siniod is bad all together -
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 11:57 AM   #7
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep

Compression test was on cold engine - 135psi across all 6 with no deviation - 1 was low at first on that fuel soaked #1 cylinder 100psi, then climbed up to 135 on the 2nd test, likely after the fuel washed away. Fuel pump was dissicagaged, WOT - I was hoping for a better turnout but I'm considering the fact that the engine is cold and the oil is as thin as water.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2024, 12:44 PM   #8
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Reasonable to change injectors. Do VCG O2 sensors and change oil.

I'd keep a low threshold for leak down testing and further investigation though. Having a cylinder come up low on first as attempt is suspicious

Where's the coolant going though? Check the oil for contamination. Also run each coolant line and check for leaks/broken nipples frayed returns etc...
      03-14-2024, 03:45 PM   #9
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep

Thank you for you comments.All noted. I thought I had coolant loss at 1st but I think it was an old stored warning. It was low, and I think it was my own negligence, a quart maybe, It appears there is no coolant loss and there is none apparent in the oil. The mechanic that looked at the car initially before I asked for it back to do my own work, said he seen metal shavings in the oil. Of course he didn't save the oil when I asked. I didn't feel comfortable with his diagnosis of changing coils and plugs and see what happens. It's clear the problem is fuel related and maybe beyond. I said how do you know, what size, he said I just know from shimmering oil. I couldn't find what he was talking about after searching the oil filter after running shortly. The filter is just soaked in fuel like everything else. I dont have a compressor for a leak down test, I was going to buy one if the problem persists. I wasn't thrilled about number 1 cylinder either being low. The car has been turned on and off so many times before the test that cylinder was just flooded with fuel. I was assuming that's why it came up low until It daynwed on me to turn everything off and try again with no fuel delivery. I had to order the puller tool, I had no Idea they wherein there so damm tight.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 03:48 PM   #10
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep

After starting and running for brief periods of time during my diagnosis, thatoil soaked plug stayed dry, I don't suppose it could have been spillage from the past, it's been in the hands of shady mechanics that squeezed all repairs through a warranty I purchased, they did everything haf asses and sloppy Wouldn't it have at least started to soak again during the brief runs during diagnosis - I've started the car at least 6 or 7 times and the plug is still dry.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2024, 04:06 PM   #11
RexCoupe
United_States
Rep

I think valve cover is a given, a leak down test if the injectors don't clear the issue up with new plugs and coils. I just want the car to run like the day prior to this headache. The gasket is an afternoon and enjoyable because I know the car is gonna be fine, I don't mind taking it apart. At this point I can do it with my eyes closed.
Appreciate 0