BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #1
h1Shawn1
Rep
Drives: WTB 135i 'vert

Does anyone recognize this red 135i vert for sale? Need purchasing advice

Ok guys I am considering purchasing a 135i convertible, and there are currently two available that I have some questions about.

The first one looks like it was located in Miami, FL and is now located about 200 miles from my house. Looking at the pictures I noticed a couple of potential red flags. The first is in the picture of the engine bay, it looks like there is a wire loom that goes over the intake and valve cover, does any one care to guess what that is/was for? The second is some exposed wires under the rear seat. While I intend to mod my 135i I'm not so sure it is a good idea to purchase one that was already modded and possibly abused. I do like the wheels on the car, does anyone know what brand they are? I also noticed the brembo calipers.

http://www.mybroadwaycars.com/2008-B...-75220/5584241

The second one is very low mileage and with a rare interior color, but recently needed repairs due to rodents who got to the electrical system while the car was in storage. The owner has $8000 worth of receipts for repairs made to the car, and claims the only thing not working on the car is the backup sensor. Would any of you even consider purchasing a car that required so much repair? I'm actually thinking about getting in contact with the people that repaired the car to see if I can find out any additional information, but fear that may be this car should be avoided like a flood car.

Thanks for taking the time to read my lengthy post and any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Well, this won't answer your questions but is my 2 cents based on doing this two weeks ago. I looked at several convertibles (all 135i) of various vintages with auto/DCT/manual. Settled on a 2008 in Montego blue/taupe interior with 6 MT and like the red one, except with the base seats (though they are heated).

Paid a couple grand more than the price shown on the red one, but i got a new set of tires thrown in that i have to mount. Biggest issue was the Dinan Stage 3 set up (which includes intercooler and oil cooler) and the Dinan exhaust and CF intake. Did i want to take a chance on the mods and the possibility that it had been abused.

I finally decided that the condition of the car and how it looked/drove was the important criteria. Since the car had been inspected by a dealer, but not "massaged", it was relatively easy for me to get a bead on condition. It worked for me.

You are doing research that i probably should have done first. But in the end, the choice should come down to the reputation of the dealer in the case of the red one, versus the reputation of the repair shop for the second (extremely important here since it is likely most repairs were electrical and i learned in engineering school that electricity was magic).

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #3
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

The broadway car has a rubber seal across the engine bay (not a wiring loom), that normally is attached to the top of the cowl where the hood meets it, for weather sealing purposes. It was basically a careless mistake on the part of whomever took the photos since it's relatively easy to re attach,( although im not sure why it came off in the first place. However im a little concerned that this car may have had the bumpers replaced or at least removed because the gap at the fender is very wide, especially on the driver's side.
The "brembo" is just a sticker or paint over the stock calipers, kinda ricer but they are technically brembos stock...

Good luck and definitely have a prepurchase inspection done by a reputable BMW technician/shop, the $100-150 could save you 1000s in headaches in the future.
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
135TX
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 135i

Also the center console is missing the rear cover, that's the wires you see behind the seat, there is a USB and AUX connection in there and those wires are just hanging out, so all that put together, along with the aftermarket wheels would lead me to be leery of that one! but its your choice, just do your homework.

after a long gander the driver fender is off by a hairs especially over the headlight, i'd venture a guess that the car has been in an accident, reported or unreported....
You'll never regret pursuing what you really want....ever. You will, however, regret NOT doing things you wanted to do.
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #5
h1Shawn1
Rep
Drives: WTB 135i 'vert

thank you 135tx, I really appreciate you looking over the pictures for me, having a set of eyes that is more familiar with the car really helps. I'll steer clear of the red one. I just need to be patient and find the right ONE.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #6
Pissoff
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08, 128i e88

Yes there are absolutely better ones out there. I wouldn't touch it. Someone didn't show it much love.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 02:33 PM   #7
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I don't know if those wheels were on the car when the dealer got it, but it is common for a dealer to put 'pretty' wheels on a car to spice up the look to try and take your eyes away from obvious flaws on the car and to jack up the price a little.