BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-31-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
loesch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

*Request* ETS or Other FMIC vs. stock dyno results (N55)?

Has anyone seen dyno runs showing results of a stock N55 with an intercooler upgrade? I've seen lots with tuned cars but none on stock. I'm trying to get all supporting mods done before I go with a tune. I'm currently debating whether to go with a FMIC or Downpipe. I know the DP will net more gains but I'm holding off until inspection comes around or until BMS finishes their downpipe fix.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #2
crew_chief152
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

In my opinion I would get the tune first. I believe the stock intercooler is sufficient for a stock car. The power gains will be minimal at best. Dp's are a great addition, but if you have a tune you can turn off that pesky CEL. This is just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #3
Suds
/M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Responsiblish

I think a data log of some hard pulls watching the boost and IAT's would be more applicable. The hp gain between a stock and aftermarket FMIC would be within the error of the test, won't tell you shit.
I did some logs of my stock n55, I just have to find them.
The truth is an aftermarket FMIC does not add horsepower, it wil reduce the pressure drop across it, but the boost controller is on the motor side of the FMIC, so the pressures will be the same. What a Aftermarket FMIC will do is keep the AITs from rising as quickly so that the air temp into the motor is lower thus more dense at the same pressure producing more hp.
One last thing, with a less Restrictive FMIC the turbo should spool easier and be more responsive.
One last thing, constant air flow from a fan blowing into the front of your car while it is being tested on a dyno is not representive of real life driving conditions, in real life you accelerate and the airflow increases hopefully increasing cooling.

Last edited by Suds; 09-03-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0