BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-05-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Sport/Racing Seats Help and Install

Hi all. I'm looking into installing some sport/racing seats in my 128i, which has heated, manual seats, finished in black V-Tex. I'm looking to install a cloth-finished Sparco R100 seat for me, the driver, and most important component of the vehicle.

My largest concern is the airbag located on the side of the stock seat. What is the resistance, or how can I test it without eating airbag?

Also, can I install my stock seat heater into the Sparco, or should I get comfortable with having a cold bum in winter?

As a last resort...could I have my stock seats reupholstered, except with increased bolstering and shoulder support? How much could this be expected to run if upholstery is a nice cloth? I hate leather and vinyl!

Many thanks for any help offered!
      11-06-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
Matticus91
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

My largest concern is the airbag located on the side of the stock seat. What is the resistance, or how can I test it without eating airbag?
-If you are planning to remove the whole seat as a unit this shouldn't be a concern, there's nothing in the seat removal process that should set it off. Just disconnect your battery completely and pull the seat - but I'll let someone else chime in if they have more details.

Also, can I install my stock seat heater into the Sparco, or should I get comfortable with having a cold bum in winter?

-Pretty sure that's a no, mostly due to the Sparco design but also because removing the seat heater is quite a job!

As a last resort...could I have my stock seats reupholstered, except with increased bolstering and shoulder support? How much could this be expected to run if upholstery is a nice cloth? I hate leather and vinyl!
-I can 100% guarantee this is not worth it. I think you'd be better off going to m3 seats in this case. The amount of money it would take to custom-make your stock seat into something comparable would give you many more options in other markets!

Also, if you're doing this for racing purposes I highly recommend test-fitting yourself in the seat before buying it, and make sure your harness will fall in the right spots. The shoulder holes should be in line or just slightly lower than the top of your shoulders, allowing the harness to keep downward pressure on your body in the event of a rollover. I'm not assuming you don't know this, I've just seen so many people buy racing seats with no idea that they're all pre-formed fit to certain body types.
      11-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
^^
About the airbag, I was talking about emulating the existence of it to the car. I don't want an airbag light, and I don't want any problems with state inspections, etc.

I kinda figured that about the seat heater. Oh well, cloth isn't nearly as cold as my stupid V-Tex!

I'm simply looking for a reclining bucket that I can daily. I want the side-to-side support for when I go on my favorite backroads, and when I do go to the track, occasionally. I don't plan to install a full race harness, I'd probably go with something simple, like the Schroth Quick-Fit Harness, mostly for it's compatibility with all the pre-tensioners, etc.
      11-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
ianc
Ex '87 Carrera
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 TiAg 6MT 135i

Buy a set of good condition factory sports seats from a wreck and sell your current seats. Keep resale value, and factory airbag safety. The sports seats are really good...

ianc
Appreciate 1
Esteban43788.50
      11-08-2017, 02:53 AM   #5
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

The 1 series sport seats are very nice. I think they would be even nicer if they were offered in something other than just leather or leatherette/sensatec.

These two tone seats with fabric are pretty cool. I'd love to have them but sadly they were only sold in Europe.
Attached Images

11-08-2017, 04:25 PM   #6
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

+1 to the sport seats being great. The best feature IMO is the inflatable side bolsters that allow you to have a nice comfortable seat during daily driving or long trips, and a very supportive seat for more spirited driving
Esteban43788.50
      11-08-2017, 05:09 PM   #7
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
+1 to the sport seats being great. The best feature IMO is the inflatable side bolsters that allow you to have a nice comfortable seat during daily driving or long trips, and a very supportive seat for more spirited driving
Do these fancy-pants sport seats have manual adjustment? Or are they power only? Are the inflatable bolsters available with the manual seats? Are there any additional controllers I'll need to add to my car to make the sport seats work?

I'm very interested, as an OEM look would be nice...

But hey, those Sparcos...

EDIT: They do come in manual, and with heat! Uh oh...

ANOTHER EDIT: Another question... can I replace a blown airbag in a sport seat with the good airbag in my seat? I've found a few seats, but they're either a full interior, which I don't need, or they've been in an accident where the airbags or seat belt pre-tensioners were deployed.

Last edited by chris_flies; 11-08-2017 at 05:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 05:15 PM   #8
BimmerAg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_flies View Post
Do these fancy-pants sport seats have manual adjustment? Or are they power only? Are the inflatable bolsters available with the manual seats? Are there any additional controllers I'll need to add to my car to make the sport seats work?

My seats are manual adjustment, but with power adjustable bolsters. i'd imagine the power seats have the same feature. Not sure what needs to be done to make them work though. Good luck!
      11-08-2017, 05:34 PM   #9
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerAg View Post
My seats are manual adjustment, but with power adjustable bolsters. i'd imagine the power seats have the same feature. Not sure what needs to be done to make them work though. Good luck!
Yep, power seats have the same feature. Sport seats were a must have for me.
      11-12-2017, 06:43 PM   #10
Tommm
Driven Crazy
United_States
Rep
Drives: his wife nuts 128i 6m

Quote:

EDIT: They do come in manual, and with heat! Uh oh...

ANOTHER EDIT: Another question... can I replace a blown airbag in a sport seat with the good airbag in my seat? I've found a few seats, but they're either a full interior, which I don't need, or they've been in an accident where the airbags or seat belt pre-tensioners were deployed.
My car came with vinyl heated manual seats. I replaced it with a heated, electric, leather, sport seat that had a blown airbag.

I swapped the airbag, and tied the power into the car's computer by the radio. I tried tapping into the power for the heat but it didn't work. I may have written something up around April 2017. It wasn't a tough job after I realized I had to tap into the cars computer.

I had cars with aftermarket seats. The problem with them if you don't track the car is that the distance of the headrest from the back of the head is usually a bit more to leave room for the helmet. Great on the track, not so great if you get rear ended at a red light.

When my kid gets her license I hope to find a mechanically solid one or three with say 150k miles, a tired drivers seat and tired suspension for her. In goes my vinyl seat and 52k mile suspension.
      11-12-2017, 06:53 PM   #11
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommm View Post
My car came with vinyl heated manual seats. I replaced it with a heated, electric, leather, sport seat that had a blown airbag.

I swapped the airbag, and tied the power into the car's computer by the radio. I tried tapping into the power for the heat but it didn't work. I may have written something up around April 2017. It wasn't a tough job after I realized I had to tap into the cars computer.

I had cars with aftermarket seats. The problem with them if you don't track the car is that the distance of the headrest from the back of the head is usually a bit more to leave room for the helmet. Great on the track, not so great if you get rear ended at a red light.

When my kid gets her license I hope to find a mechanically solid one or three with say 150k miles, a tired drivers seat and tired suspension for her. In goes my vinyl seat and 52k mile suspension.
I was at the track this weekend, I used the seatbelt lock trick to hold me in-place. It was great for a little bit, but eventually the foam in the seat would settle and the seatbelt would release the lock, and I'd be flailing around again. I need either a good seat, or a harness, or both! Unfortunately, a harness would require a harness/roll bar...
      01-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
Zolder91
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E30 325i BMW e82 128i

Quote:
Hi all. I'm looking into installing some sport/racing seats in my 128i, which has heated, manual seats, finished in black V-Tex. I'm looking to install a cloth-finished Sparco R100 seat for me, the driver, and most important component of the vehicle.

Reviving an old thread here but @chris_flies what did you end up going with? I’m running into the same issue. I originally wanted oem sport seats but I don’t want to be digging into wiring, so that leaves me now with the idea of Sparcos and a module for the airbag light.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 05:41 PM   #13
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zolder91 View Post
Quote:

Reviving an old thread here but @chris_flies what did you end up going with? I’m running into the same issue. I originally wanted oem sport seats but I don’t want to be digging into wiring, so that leaves me now with the idea of Sparcos and a module for the airbag light.
I just finished installing some OEM Sport seats (manual adjusting) like 5 minutes ago Plug and play so far, other than the inflator for the lumbar(maybe bolsters?).
      01-10-2020, 07:22 AM   #14
Jeb_
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i

I swapped from manual heated seats to manual sport seats a year or so ago. To get the bolsters to work I just moved some pins around on one of the connectors to reroute the supply power for the heated seat control module to the bolsters.

If I recall correctly, there were a few unused pins in the connectors for the manual seats. Assuming a car came from the factory with heated seats, it may be possible to jump two pins together on the body harness side and provide power to both the seat heaters and bolsters on the same circuit.
Appreciate 0