BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-28-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Shopping tires for Black Friday

In Vegas visiting my mom for the Thanksgiving and thought I'd get some badly needed tires while I'm out here since taxes will make them a bit cheaper, and it's black Friday. Thinking about just saying F it and go big with 4s's, but looking for recommendations on tires that are competitive with the 4s, but maybe a bit cheaper.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, they look to be about 60% the cost of the 4s. Are there any other comparable tires I should be cross shopping? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
      11-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #2
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Conti Extreme Contact Sport are right up there with PS4S. I've been a Michelin Pilot Sport user for over a decade but I switched to the ECS two summers ago because they're about $150-200/set cheaper yet perform just as good, and last a little longer too.

Cannot recommend them enough at that price point for the top tier summer performance street tire category.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 2
      11-30-2019, 01:41 AM   #3
Gangplank
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e82 135i n55 Sport w/ DCT

Garage List
2011 135i  [0.00]
I have the Indy FF500. I had the Michelin MPSS before (not 4s). I'm happy with them. Just as good as the MPSS for my DD duties. Every bit as good in the wet & tire wear is much better IMHO. At the price they are hard to beat. I'm planning to get another set when they wear out.
      11-30-2019, 08:55 AM   #4
Happy Jose
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i M-Sport

If it doesn't say Michelin, it ain't a tire!
Appreciate 1
1M Tex240.00
      12-01-2019, 01:41 AM   #5
Tuxedo
Bowties r cool ▶:◀
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' 128i MT e88, 24'G05 X5 50e

Garage List
I'm currently on MPSS and don't care the cost for 4s as they'll be worth every penny. Firestone makes great rubber but design is weak in compared imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #6
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Tires are the most important part on a car. That is not the place to save money.
Appreciate 1
Olgeezer1184.50
      12-01-2019, 12:19 PM   #7
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I have the Indy FF500. I had the Michelin MPSS before (not 4s). I'm happy with them. Just as good as the MPSS for my DD duties. Every bit as good in the wet & tire wear is much better IMHO. At the price they are hard to beat. I'm planning to get another set when they wear out.
I have the Indy FF500 on my Corvette, and was extremely impressed and surprised with how well they held up to the TQ I have, and how long they lasted. So much so that I'm in my second set. They also have a nice aggressive look to them.

On my E82, I'm running Conti Extreme Contact Sports which are also highly recommended among Corvette owners.

Either way, both have been great for their "price point".
      12-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

I just ordered a set of DWS 06 for the e88. Discount Tires is having a cyber Monday sale with 10% off. It's not much, but it helps...
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep

ended up going with the conti extreme contact sports. $880 installed for all four after rebate including road hazard and install warranties.

We drove back to LA Saturday night on the new tires, I was a bit worried about not having a spare, but figured heck, I haven't ever had an unexpected blowout in 21 years of driving, what are the odds today is the day. (I've had tires go on me, but when I was a broke af young man who had no means to buy new tires and was just waiting for the inevitable and then would hustle to get 40$ for a used tire).

The extreme contact sports are an AMAZING upgrade from the RFT's, which started spinning in 3rd on me all the time, even with some tread left. Ride quality went from Flintstones stone tires to 1960's Cadillac smoothness. I read all the threads about how tires should be the first mod and can confirm that is absolutely true, I wish I did this earlier.

But of course, 5 minutes after I was bragging to my toddler, wife, niece and dog about how I don't have to spend my life dodging potholes anymore, we hit the biggest one I've ever seen. This was at 10:00PM, I told my wife "well, shit, there goes my new tire" and 20 seconds left I got the low tire indicator.

Luckily we weren't totally in the middle of nowhere, we were close to the Barstow outlets. The tire stayed attached to the car but had zero pressure. We drove down to a gas station, then my daughter (2 year old princess) throws up all over herself and the car seat (surely disgusted by my decision not to buy a donut before leaving). Limp down to a gas station, get some fix a flat that is tpms safe, run a can through, get up to about 20 psi, then limp 2 miles to let it set.

We lost all air again, so I head to back to the gas station to get air, hoping the fix a flat set and that the tire will now hold air. Goes back up to 20ish psi, insane leaking coming from the backside of the tire (inner sidewall), I find the gash (about 1 -2 inches thick) and realized we are screwed.

My wife finds a "24 hour" tire repair shop, we call all night long not wanting to stay in a hotel because there has been terrible weather along the I15 S el cajon corridor, and we didn't want to get stuck (it was clear late that night, the next morning turned out to be chaotic there, so good thing we didn't stay). I have to limp the car 9 miles with no air to this guys shop, hoping he's there because he hasn't answered, with the rim sitting on the tire (We would have had to wait hours to get a ride for the 5 of us in a AAA) to the 24 hour spot.

Pull up to a raggidy old shop, but notice the house in the back is really big and really nice for being in BFE, miles west of Barstow. I also spot a 2019 Corvette Z06 behind the locked gate. This is when I realized I was about to pay more than I wanted for a tire I would use for one day (ended up paying $220 installed for one $90 wal mart tire). I swallow the cost because this guy woke up around midnight to come out of his house and swap the tire, but while I'm getting cash at the liquor store next door, the guy behind the register says I'm the 6th guy to come in for tires tonight. That becomes the 7th as I'm walking back to Porsche SUV being towed to this 24 hour shop for a blowout.

Seems my rim is a bit bent, but we make it back home safe. I can't sleep because I feel like such an idiot, and I start to yelp and google review this guy. Bunch of 5 stars, bunch of 1 stars, which usually indicates a scammer (sign out front says used tires, of course he tells me and the porsche he ran out). I don't think I really got scammed, 220$ for a midnight tire replacement seems pretty fair (and about what a hotel, breakfast, and a used tire would have cost the next morning).

But I get to thinking, a 100k car and a 2500 sq foot house 2 miles east of where we just go this flat, which was in the middle of nowhere cali, and my spidey sense says maybe this pothole didn't end up there on it's own. I'm a big fan of Reddit/conspiracy, so keep that in mind, but the reviews seems highly suspect, and I don't think I'm that crazy for thinking that this little town runs on man made potholes (easy to do something like that during the week on the 15S in front of the Barstow Premium Outlets).

I didn't mention that there were 6 other cars pulled over exactly where we got our flat, so conspiratorial or not, having that happen 2 miles from the only 24 hour tire shop I've ever heard of seems a bit suspicious. I'm thinking of reporting this guy to crime watchers, based on the reviews I've read and the oddity of that potholes location (probably a mile from his shop as the crow flies), but I am grateful that he helped me get my family home safe, so I haven't decided. This is the shop:
http://www.frankieswestcoasttires.com/

Lots of review horror stories, thank god we didn't get a hold of him and let him tow us in. Reports of 100% price increases from phone quotes are very common in his reviews.

So I'm going to try and get Caltrans to cover my wheels, I bought the tire warranty so that's fine, but lesson to all. If you swap RFT's for a standard tire, make sure you buy a donut too.

Last edited by mfindigital; 12-02-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

I'd be looking at MP4S or RE71R depending on your traction needs. That's about it unless you need a winter tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
If you swap RFT's for a standard tire, make sure you buy a donut too.
Nah. Been on nonRFTs for years without one. I got better stuff to do with my trunk space, risk benefit ratio says be bold.

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 12-02-2019 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #11
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Wow, that is quite the story.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #12
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Wow, that is quite the story.
+1........When he mentioned that many cars, I started thinking the Tire Service guy had been out "planting" pot-holes!

Made me think of a Horror Movie setup.

Sorry to hear about all the issues though man.
      12-03-2019, 07:59 AM   #13
bobowar135
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' Sedona Red 135i

I have recently replaced my worn out Potenza run-flats with new Michelin PSS's non run-flats. The difference is like chalk and cheese. Where the old tyres would skip and bounce the car over bumps during a long, wide radius bend, with the new tyres the car was planted. Expensive as hell but worth it. I can't wait to drive the car with new shocks!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #14
mfindigital
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
+1........When he mentioned that many cars, I started thinking the Tire Service guy had been out "planting" pot-holes!

Made me think of a Horror Movie setup.

Sorry to hear about all the issues though man.
I can't get this thought out of my mind. The chances of this many flats happening this close to a "24 hour" tire shop that is really just a guy who lives behind his business in a place where they average pay is $9/hr with a 90k z06 parked behind his gate, a bit odd.

I was home sick with food poisoning yesterday, hence the rambling 2000 word post, but it all holds up, that's exactly how it went down.
Rmtt8211.00
      12-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #15
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfindigital View Post
I can't get this thought out of my mind. The chances of this many flats happening this close to a "24 hour" tire shop that is really just a guy who lives behind his business in a place where they average pay is $9/hr with a 90k z06 parked behind his gate, a bit odd.

I was home sick with food poisoning yesterday, hence the rambling 2000 word post, but it all holds up, that's exactly how it went down.
I'm just glad you got back okay. Like you, I would seriously be thinking about reporting this to someone.

It's like a "speed-trap".

Also reminds me of Chevy Chase asking how much his repairs will be in Vacation...and the mechanic says...How much you got??
      12-20-2019, 04:08 PM   #16
mr.fabulous
Captain
Rep
Drives: Women Crazy

I just put Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS rubber on my car (replacing Continental Extreme Contact DWs) and WOW are these things amazing. Quite and a *much* improved ride compared to the Contis (even at higher pressure). A++++++
      12-21-2019, 02:27 AM   #17
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Conti Extreme Contact Sport are right up there with PS4S. I've been a Michelin Pilot Sport user for over a decade but I switched to the ECS two summers ago because they're about $150-200/set cheaper yet perform just as good, and last a little longer too.

Cannot recommend them enough at that price point for the top tier summer performance street tire category.

I have these on my BMW, and I did a BMW track day yesterday and they were using this tire across all models. Performmed very well.

But I also have the Indy FF500 on my Corvette (2nd) set).....and they are great was well.

But if I had to choose, I would go with the Conti's as I feel they slightly edge out the Indy's by a small margin!