BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #1
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep
Drives: 2008 BSM 135i

Headlights Fogging

Hey guys, so I avoid driving my car during or immediately after a rainy day as my headlights ALWAYS fog up. It is never severe enough that I notice water droplets/condensation, and it always quickly resolves, but I have tried everything to alleviate/prevent it and have had no luck. Ironically swapped in LCI headlights which have been fogging up just like my pre LCI ones, and I an dreading the day one burns out. I have done the following: Applied a bead of marine silicone around the lens, Swapped out the back cover/gasket, and even added silica gel bags. My last resort is going to be just pulling the entire lens and resealing with the oven. Anyone have any ideas ? Yes, I ensure the back covers are on and the metal tabs are on correctly, and they are VERY tight.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:33 PM   #2
Thunderguts
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Sport MT

The only explanation is a crack/leak somewhere. I don't see any alternative but pulling them out.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 05:35 PM   #3
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderguts View Post
The only explanation is a crack/leak somewhere. I don't see any alternative but pulling them out.
Yeah, it's very odd because Ive probably overdone it and yet they still continue to fog up. My next move will likely be to throw them in the oven and reseal the lens.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Could just be leftover condensation never completely removed. Turns to droplets, rolls down with gravity, collects in a low spot, waits to turn them foggy again.

I'd pop the seals off the box and aim a fan directly at them and let it go as long as possible - couple days would not be too much (depending on the fan anyhow).

Then of course put the seals back on w/ the same assurances as above.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Could just be leftover condensation never completely removed. Turns to droplets, rolls down with gravity, collects in a low spot, waits to turn them foggy again.

I'd pop the seals off the box and aim a fan directly at them and let it go as long as possible - couple days would not be too much (depending on the fan anyhow).

Then of course put the seals back on w/ the same assurances as above.
Had brought them into the house last night and ran the blow dryer into em for a few minutes, but didn't go overboard. I can try doing a more thorough drying job, but Im pessimistic at this point haha.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segments View Post
Had brought them into the house last night and ran the blow dryer into em for a few minutes, but didn't go overboard. I can try doing a more thorough drying job, but Im pessimistic at this point haha.
I'd just simply aim any reasonably strong fan at them. Let it go all night. Heat will help but you might not want to just walk away from it. Whatever you do just be super thorough - a few minutes even w/ a blow dryer might not be enough. Was hoping you could do it before removing them, too late for that I guess.

Doesn't make sense it happened w/ new headlights too. What's the history on everything? Did it spend time open somewhere w/ a previous owner? Did you ever have a cover not quite on?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:40 PM   #7
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'd just simply aim any reasonably strong fan at them. Let it go all night. Heat will help but you might not want to just walk away from it. Whatever you do just be super thorough - a few minutes even w/ a blow dryer might not be enough. Was hoping you could do it before removing them, too late for that I guess.

Doesn't make sense it happened w/ new headlights too. What's the history on everything? Did it spend time open somewhere w/ a previous owner? Did you ever have a cover not quite on?
Im guessing they werent as new as I thought, but Ive ensured the covers and everything were always good and tight and have played with them multiple times just with no luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #8
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Im guessing they werent as new as I thought, but Ive ensured the covers and everything were always good and tight and have played with them multiple times just with no luck.
Cool. I do still highly recommend the thorough drying if you can't tell, lol. I did the halo LED thing and didn't get the covers on right, even though I (thought that I) was being extra cautious. Water inside, then fog of course. Figured out what happened, got the covers on, still had fog. Covers back off, aimed a fan at it a day or two, covers on again, and never had fog since.

You might have actual leaks but this is free to try.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Cool. I do still highly recommend the thorough drying if you can't tell, lol. I did the halo LED thing and didn't get the covers on right, even though I (thought that I) was being extra cautious. Water inside, then fog of course. Figured out what happened, got the covers on, still had fog. Covers back off, aimed a fan at it a day or two, covers on again, and never had fog since.

You might have actual leaks but this is free to try.
So you completely removed headlights from car and let them dry for a few days ? I can try that this weekend.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:52 PM   #10
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Nope, left the headlights in place. Only removed the back covers and then set box fans blowing at them for a couple days (I already had the fans, and also had a truck at the time). It was a while ago, but I vaguely remember having the fans laying flat and some towels under parts of them so they wouldn't vibrate away and fall on the floor.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 04:54 PM   #11
Segments
Aspiring 1'er
Rep

Quote:
Nope, left the headlights in place. Only removed the back covers and then set box fans blowing at them for a couple days (I already had the fans, and also had a truck at the time). It was a while ago, but I vaguely remember having the fans laying flat and some towels under parts of them so they wouldn't vibrate away and fall on the floor.
Gotcha; Ill give that a try.
Appreciate 0