BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #4115
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunner View Post
Steve, what did was the dealer labor and material charge for your Performance Suspension. Call me crazy, but I think the MPSS's I just put on makes my ride a little softer then what I was accustomed to when I had the run flats. In fact, I sort of miss my runflats and m3 subframe bushings combo vs what I have now which is the MPSS and m3 subframe bushing combo.
Chunner, I only bought it from the dealer, but did NOT have them install it. I had EAS in Anaheim do the install and they charged me less than half the price that my dealer wanted to install, including wheel alignment.
      10-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #4116
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
What do you guys think of these rings that were made for 1M owners?

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684447

Maybe something to match the blue stitching on the IS models?
      10-06-2014, 09:34 PM   #4117
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post

In my infinite boredom during my 3 month wait for mine, I looked at this and some other potential options for customizing the start/stop bezel. Having had one of the "Year One of the 1" ones, I would love to be able to find somewhere that can engrave them.

I also considered and saw threads of people painting their start/stop bezels to match their car's exterior color, some using some primer and I think cans of BMW touch up paint.

So, I'd be interested in any and all options to do something special. But alas, a few of us don't have the blue stitching like us leatherette folk in me and owen2001, then the coral red people, the oyster people like Rick, etc.

I remember looking into this before and unless someone makes a one-off like he did, they don't sell the bezel separately, so you have to buy full start/stop button assembly, which isn't incredibly pricey, but think it was $50-60.

Ah, found the old thread that had some custom blue ones, but see if this helps as well:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805560
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:53 PM   #4118
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Now that this idea has been put back in my head briefly, my inclination has always been for something engraved and there's a premiere laser engraving place apparently right near me in the jewelry mart in downtown LA that does laser engraving on high end jewelry, tungten wedding bands, etc. that might be able to do it and do it well we could try.

My issue with the numbers assigned to us is that I don't have full 100% confidence in them and I was somewhat involved in the process. I'm sure they're very close, but not enough that I'd personally feel confident enough to want something engraved or made with that # to put on the car.

Brainstorming here, I'm thinking something like the original 2008 engraved bezels that says something like "2013 BMW 135is" on the top and "Last Year of the One" on the bottom or vice versa and trying to get a font to match the original one.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #4119
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Now that this idea has been put back in my head briefly, my inclination has always been for something engraved and there's a premiere laser engraving place apparently right near me in the jewelry mart in downtown LA that does laser engraving on high end jewelry, tungten wedding bands, etc. that might be able to do it and do it well we could try.

My issue with the numbers assigned to us is that I don't have full 100% confidence in them and I was somewhat involved in the process. I'm sure they're very close, but not enough that I'd personally feel confident enough to want something engraved or made with that # to put on the car.

Brainstorming here, I'm thinking something like the original 2008 engraved bezels that says something like "2013 BMW 135is" on the top and "Last Year of the One" on the bottom or vice versa and trying to get a font to match the original one.
How about "The Last One"... sounds very LOTR-esque haha
      10-06-2014, 10:04 PM   #4120
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Sadly, I never saw any of the lords of the rings movie. I imagine the lord of the rings would know what to do about these bezels, huh?

How bout The Last One on top, and the car's name on the bottom. hahaha.

The Last One

Isabelle

I just wish we could get some of these cheaply to play around with. I also wonder if we could get one engraved and use colorfill as well so people can add blue or red or yellow or something. Things Remembered supposedly might be able to do it at a mall, but not sure I would trust them much. Their colorfill selection looked awful, too.

Hmm, what about something signifying the last of the 1 and then the VIN on it? Or at least last 7 of the VIN?

Then there's always the dirty ones I've always wanted to put on there like:
"Hello, Greg

You're Quite Good At Turning Me On"

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #4121
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
I'll take a blue bezel, but hate the LOTR movies. No, I don't hate them, but I am angry with them. Ha!

Last edited by Esteban; 10-07-2014 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 11:20 AM   #4122
CAVU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 F87 M2

Quote:
Ooh, you finally going to do it?! I got mine from Jon @ bmwpartspros.com, as did Rick, which was definitely the cheapest price around at the time. I had a great experience with them, however I know Rick may chime in since he had some shipping issues as they shipped the springs in with the kit and while none of the parts were damaged, things flew all around in the box and the springs kinda shredded the inside of the box for the kit.
Like Greg mentioned, the arrival of my kit was a disappointment. It wouldn't have taken much thought or planning to prevent the parts from ultimately breaking free of their mounts and clanging againts each other. Good thing they are robust and not easily damaged. Don't know that any other supplier would have done a better job.

Quote:

I would probably buy a "475 of 586"-themed bezel in the stock finish if it was available but wouldn't put it on. I don't want any red appearing in my field of vision unless it is something I need to react to while driving.

F87 '16 M2 ... Mineral Grey, 6MT, Exec, MPE
Gone: E82 '13 135is 475/586 ... Mineral Grey / Oyster, DCT, Premium, Tech, HK, Michelin PSS, BMW Performance Suspension
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:08 PM   #4123
Chunner
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 135is | #341/586

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenEsteban View Post
Chunner, I only bought it from the dealer, but did NOT have them install it. I had EAS in Anaheim do the install and they charged me less than half the price that my dealer wanted to install, including wheel alignment.
Dam you all, now I'm seriously considering the PS.

I think the MPSS's I just put on makes my ride a little softer then what I was accustomed to when I had the run flats. In fact, I sort of miss my runflats and m3 subframe bushings combo vs what I have now which is the MPSS and m3 subframe bushing combo.

Any thoughts boys?
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

2021 BMW X7 M50i | Alpine White | Children Hauler
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #4124
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
In my infinite boredom during my 3 month wait for mine, I looked at this and some other potential options for customizing the start/stop bezel. Having had one of the "Year One of the 1" ones, I would love to be able to find somewhere that can engrave them.

I also considered and saw threads of people painting their start/stop bezels to match their car's exterior color, some using some primer and I think cans of BMW touch up paint.

So, I'd be interested in any and all options to do something special. But alas, a few of us don't have the blue stitching like us leatherette folk in me and owen2001, then the coral red people, the oyster people like Rick, etc.

I remember looking into this before and unless someone makes a one-off like he did, they don't sell the bezel separately, so you have to buy full start/stop button assembly, which isn't incredibly pricey, but think it was $50-60.

Ah, found the old thread that had some custom blue ones, but see if this helps as well:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=805560
Looks good, I'm in.

Greg, are you gonna set it up for all of us?
2013 BMW 135is Coupe | Dinan Stage 3 | M3 Subframe Bushings | Dinan Monoball Joints | Dinan Toe Links | 1M Strut Bar | MPS AS/3 - VMR 710's 18x8.5 ET45 / 18x9.5 ET50 | MPSS - BMW 313's 18x7.5 / 18x8.5 | Min Grey, Savanna | Prem, Tech | DCT | Beast #341/586 |

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #4125
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Dam you all, now I'm seriously considering the PS.

I think the MPSS's I just put on makes my ride a little softer then what I was accustomed to when I had the run flats. In fact, I sort of miss my runflats and m3 subframe bushings combo vs what I have now which is the MPSS and m3 subframe bushing combo.

Any thoughts boys?
Ya, the problem with switching to the MPSS is that because it's much softer, it then tends to really expose the "flaws" in the suspension/dampers, or at least I'd say they're not perfectly suited for each other since the suspension was designed for the runflats. So, I'd recommend either going with the performance suspension so they're perfectly mated for each other, or, if you like the stiffer sidewalls and firmer ride, maybe even go back to the runflats. I'd say those are your best options - to either keep it paired as stock suspension+runflats, or go with PS (or some equivalent improved damper+spring setup) + MPSS (or other non runflat).

Quote:
Looks good, I'm in.

Greg, are you gonna set it up for all of us?
I could definitely take the lead and maybe set it up to do a trial run of 1, see how it looks and then we can all decide. They're within walking distance of my work about 0.7 of a mile away. I just wish we could order a few bezels alone and not have to pay $50-60 for the whole button+bezel. Would make it much easier to do a few test runs, try some different fonts, etc. But if anyone wants to send me a bezel, I'll gladly see what I can do and figure out what fonts are available, prices, etc. Perhaps the guy that made the orange ones can just make/send some metal bezels. I'd rather pay $50 for 10 bezels than $50 for 1 start/stop button+bezel.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:02 PM   #4126
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Sigh. Started getting an oil level warning light in my car this weekend after turning the car off. Doesn't happen when I'm driving the car, so that means my pressure is ok, but I do see the warning when turning the car off. I guess its off to the service department soon. Kinda bullshit, as I just changed my oil <6k miles ago.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #4127
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
Sigh. Started getting an oil level warning light in my car this weekend after turning the car off. Doesn't happen when I'm driving the car, so that means my pressure is ok, but I do see the warning when turning the car off. I guess its off to the service department soon. Kinda bullshit, as I just changed my oil <6k miles ago.
Having had that issue with my Dinan rental, I know what you're talking about. What happens is when you drive, you don't get the warning come UP or alert you, but you will get the lil triangle in the instrument cluster. Then when you turn it off, THEN the full warning comes up.

Take a look around, if you don't see a leak, you may just want to go buy a quart of the proper castrol oil and put it in, problem solved and not deal with taking it in. Don't be dumb and cheap like me though, pay the 99 cents for a funnel if you go that route.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:14 PM   #4128
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Having had that issue with my Dinan rental, I know what you're talking about. What happens is when you drive, you don't get the warning come UP or alert you, but you will get the lil triangle in the instrument cluster. Then when you turn it off, THEN the full warning comes up.

Take a look around, if you don't see a leak, you may just want to go buy a quart of the proper castrol oil and put it in, problem solved and not deal with taking it in. Don't be dumb and cheap like me though, pay the 99 cents for a funnel if you go that route.
I'd agree with you, but I think under warranty I'm entitled to one free oil change each year or 12k miles, right? I'm about a week or two out from my 1 year date so I figure I'll take them up on it.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #4129
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post
I'd agree with you, but I think under warranty I'm entitled to one free oil change each year or 12k miles, right? I'm about a week or two out from my 1 year date so I figure I'll take them up on it.
It's one free oil change per year OR when the car says to take it in, however many miles that happens to be. And they no longer reset it if it's in early according to the one per year thing, so you can take advantage of both.

If you're right at that 1 year date and haven't had one other than the one you paid for post break in, call them and see if they'll let you do it a week or two early and go that route. BUT, if they won't let you come in a week or two early before the official 1 year, don't drive around like that. Spend the $10 and add the quart.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #4130
Worra
Captain
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
It's one free oil change per year OR when the car says to take it in, however many miles that happens to be. And they no longer reset it if it's in early according to the one per year thing, so you can take advantage of both.

If you're right at that 1 year date and haven't had one other than the one you paid for post break in, call them and see if they'll let you do it a week or two early and go that route. BUT, if they won't let you come in a week or two early before the official 1 year, don't drive around like that. Spend the $10 and add the quart.
I'm going in on Saturday. I'll probably add some oil before then.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #4131
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ya, the problem with switching to the MPSS is that because it's much softer, it then tends to really expose the "flaws" in the suspension/dampers, or at least I'd say they're not perfectly suited for each other since the suspension was designed for the runflats. So, I'd recommend either going with the performance suspension so they're perfectly mated for each other, or, if you like the stiffer sidewalls and firmer ride, maybe even go back to the runflats. I'd say those are your best options - to either keep it paired as stock suspension+runflats, or go with PS (or some equivalent improved damper+spring setup) + MPSS (or other non runflat).
Hey Greg, thanks for chiming in. Don't get me wrong, I love the MPSS coupled with those m3 subframe bushings, the car feels extremely well planted when powering out of those sweeping turns. Albiet, a little softer. I just feel that the car could be tighter. I guess... I am use to those stiff sidewalls from the runflats but I got to tell ya that the runflat and m3 subframe bushings combo was pretty dam tight and planted. Almost too perfect.

I'm thinking, well I'm hoping the BMW PS will solve my complaint.

What was your initial review of the BMW PS? I was looking for your original post but could not find it.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 02:37 PM   #4132
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Hey Greg, thanks for chiming in. Don't get me wrong, I love the MPSS coupled with those m3 subframe bushings, the car feels extremely well planted when powering out of those sweeping turns. Albiet, a little softer. I just feel that the car could be tighter. I guess... I am use to those stiff sidewalls from the runflats but I got to tell ya that the runflat and m3 subframe bushings combo was pretty dam tight and planted. Almost too perfect.

I'm thinking, well I'm hoping the BMW PS will solve my complaint.

What was your initial review of the BMW PS? I was looking for your original post but could not find it.
Some people actually prefer the runflats due to their stiffer sidewalls. I am not one of those people. I also haven't had the pleasure of the m3 subframe bushings.

So, it's partly up to you what your better bang for your buck is - just switching back to runflats or spending MORE money to upgrade the suspension.

The PS will DEFINITELY tighten things up, make it feel more planted, and just overall the car feels so much better. Body roll is almost entirely eliminated and you could probably further enhance that if you went with an M3 front sway bar. It eliminates maybe 50% of that vertical travel in the suspension or at least a great deal of it, so it's a lot less bouncy, and seems to really soak up the imperfections in the road, so I swear it's not any harsher than stock. That was my fear, that the ride quality would be too stiff and unbearable. But it's not AT ALL! Rick can probably chime in as well since he has the MPSS + PSS combo, though neither of us have the m3 subframe bushings (yet).

I think it's an almost no brainer option to go with, really transforms the car into a proper handling sports car, and I like that it's all BMW made and engineered parts. Goes well with all our other BMW Performance parts on our car. Plus, as an added bonus, the slight 10mm drop gives it an even meaner look. I have read countless reviews and impressions of the PS and have never heard a single person who didn't love it, never heard anyone complain one iota about anything about it. Only bad thing is it makes me drive much faster cause the car feels so much more capable, so much more planted, and the faster I go, the more it seems to squat down and hug the road. Going 80-90 on the freeway feels like floating on a cloud.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #4133
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Greg, thanks for the re-review on the PS. It is appreciated. Cheers!

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:31 PM   #4134
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Greg, thanks for the re-review on the PSS. It is appreciated. Cheers!
The PS or PSS? =P I don't think you can go wrong with the performance suspension, but for personal taste, you may ultimately decide you'd rather stick with the runflats even after that. Some people just prefer the stiffer sidewalls and turn in feel with them. Expect to pay about $2k though for parts + installation on the suspension though. Dealers charge through the roof and never do these installs, so I'd check those indy shops like the one you used before. Probably will cost $500-700 at a good performance/indy shpo for installation whereas some dealers will charge $1500 to I kid you not, $3000.

Oh, you may want to look at the dinan stage whatever suspension that's pretty similar. I forget if that's stage 1 or 2. Whichever one is below the one with the camber plates, etc. unless you really want to go full bore.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #4135
Chunner
Captain
Rep

Garage List
typo... "PS"....

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #4136
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

You should talk with 3002 tii since you are both considering it and perhaps one of you can get it installed and the other can then take a ride and feel the difference. If I could do it again, I might have gotten the e92 or e93 M3 front sway bar as well, as long as the sway bar was being swapped out, though it may be serious overkill in my situation.
Appreciate 0