BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-16-2015, 09:25 PM   #4401
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3002 tii View Post
Any of you guys think about cutting off the stock PE tips and replace them with rolled edge tips?
While I wouldn't cut off the stock tips, I was having that very thought today about how much better it would look if it had rolled edge tips as I don't like the thin straight edges.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 09:47 PM   #4402
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
While I wouldn't cut off the stock tips, I was having that very thought today about how much better it would look if it had rolled edge tips as I don't like the thin straight edges.
Scroll to middle they have options for single sided exhausts. Might give these a try:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237510
      01-16-2015, 10:13 PM   #4403
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Scroll to middle they have options for single sided exhausts. Might give these a try:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237510
Interesting, though it's hard to tell from the pics if it has a rolled lip or just curves up and in. Looks like some of their pics in that listing aren't working, but they all seem to have the same general shape. The brushed stainless is intriguing. I just wish they had a more rolled lip/edge like on the Audi S3/S4/S5 for example.

I know that schmiedmann's site has a ton of exhaust tips, too, like pages of them for sale in various shapes and sizes and finishes.

I don't think I'd ultimately mess with it cause I love the PE so much, but it is intriguing to look at. These also look like the borla exhaust tips which I remember seeing a long time ago on KellyK's 128 if I remember correctly.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 10:41 PM   #4404
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting, though it's hard to tell from the pics if it has a rolled lip or just curves up and in. Looks like some of their pics in that listing aren't working, but they all seem to have the same general shape. The brushed stainless is intriguing. I just wish they had a more rolled lip/edge like on the Audi S3/S4/S5 for example.

I know that schmiedmann's site has a ton of exhaust tips, too, like pages of them for sale in various shapes and sizes and finishes.

I don't think I'd ultimately mess with it cause I love the PE so much, but it is intriguing to look at. These also look like the borla exhaust tips which I remember seeing a long time ago on KellyK's 128 if I remember correctly.
Even up and in would would be more noticeable than the current tips. Not fully decided neither but something to think about.

Last edited by 3002 tii; 01-16-2015 at 11:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 12:53 AM   #4405
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Oh good, I haven't been banned and we are back on track.

I'm 50/50 on whether I like the PE tips or rolled tips better. I think the nice finish on the PE pairs well with the tips, but I like rolled tips too. Definitely a supersprint going on the E34 (I'll shut up about it soon I promise).

Here's another angle since I got the Performance spoiler.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2015, 12:10 PM   #4406
meg180
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worra View Post

I'm 50/50 on whether I like the PE tips or rolled tips better. I think the nice finish on the PE pairs well with the tips, but I like rolled tips too. Definitely a supersprint going on the E34 (I'll shut up about it soon I promise).

Looks great!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2015, 08:24 PM   #4407
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Looks awesome, believe or not first thing I noticed were the 1M mirrors!
      01-18-2015, 08:59 PM   #4408
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
So I happen to have my car in at dealer around 30k and asked for a new air filter but was surprised to hear it's not called for this early as part of free maintenance. Well wasn't going to let that stop me so spent the $10 and installed myself. Wish I took pics of the old but it was pretty bad, the entire filter was black and not going to say I gained any meaningful hp but butt dyno definitely noticed car pulled harder. Don't think its placebo effect because I didn't notice it till a few days later (barely drove car over past few days) and I had forgotten that I even installed a new filter but it was a nice surprise!
      01-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #4409
Downeaster1
BMW Master Tech
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30, E36, E82, E90, F10, F80

Garage List
Quote:

Our cars are nearly identical.
135is #502 of 586
BMW LED Performance Wheel | OEM FULL Carbon Fiber | E9X M3 Gauge Cluster | E9X Exterior Mirrors | E9X M3 Full Suspension | E9X M3 Diff | PT-CAN2 Enabled | Bilstiens | Michelin PSS's | NBT Navigation Retrofit with Touch Pad
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:23 PM   #4410
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Izzy Gets a Bath

Since I know some of you give me a hard time on the car wash thing, I made sure to take a picture of the hand washing portion. =P

And while weather and life have been thwarting my attempts of late of a full on detail session, know that soon she'll be getting the full treatment of fancy clay, sonax paint cleaner/carnuba wax combo, then will try out the sonax polymer netshield on the car and wheels, and p21s on PE. Stay tuned for that.

Here's Izzy getting a sponge bath this morning.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #4411
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Did my first oil analysis... 32,500 miles and she's healthy as can be!

01-22-2015, 09:38 PM   #4412
Bogiegolf
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5/2013 135is #562

What is the point of the oil analysis? I have never heard of this being done.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 10:24 PM   #4413
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Did my first oil analysis... 32,500 miles and she's healthy as can be!
I'm wondering if we should compare this to owen2001's blackstone analysis of his oil, though I believe his sample was his oil from new to first oil change, and might have more stuff in it.

I also am curious if you personally think that your oil seemed exceptionally clean and free of metals because it's getting a lot of long-trip, highway miles that are easier on the engine vs say if I had mine done after 5500 miles where my driving mix is probably 75% city, 25% highway and a lot of hard stop-and-go traffic and short trips. I know they always say it's the type of miles that are important in terms of engine wear, etc. and perhaps the proof is in the pudding...or your oil in this case?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 09:21 AM   #4414
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogiegolf View Post
What is the point of the oil analysis? I have never heard of this being done.
Think of it like a blood test, good way to gauge health of engine. Checks for any contaminants or metals. Can help identify and address a potentially serious issue before getting too expensive, ie worn rod bearings. Also can help determine how long one could've gone on their existing oil so they can adjust their oil change intervals to something longer.

Quote:
I'm wondering if we should compare this to owen2001's blackstone analysis of his oil, though I believe his sample was his oil from new to first oil change, and might have more stuff in it.

I also am curious if you personally think that your oil seemed exceptionally clean and free of metals because it's getting a lot of long-trip, highway miles that are easier on the engine vs say if I had mine done after 5500 miles where my driving mix is probably 75% city, 25% highway and a lot of hard stop-and-go traffic and short trips. I know they always say it's the type of miles that are important in terms of engine wear, etc. and perhaps the proof is in the pudding...or your oil in this case?
Probably a combination:

1) disciplined break even (nothing over 4500rpm for first 1200 miles)
2) longer miles per drive with less stop n go traffic
3) frequent oil changes of every 5k
4) and perhaps less stress on motor (factory tune vs say aftermarket)
      01-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #4415
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Probably a combination:

1) disciplined break even (nothing over 4500rpm for first 1200 miles)
2) longer miles per drive with less stop n go traffic
3) frequent oil changes of every 5k
4) and perhaps less stress on motor (factory tune vs say aftermarket)
Guess this is potential good news then as I was very kind to mine as well during break in period and got post break-in oil change and my two oil changes were 5k apart. My next one will be in a month at about a 5500 mile interval.

I know a lot of people worry about the long-term reliability and cost to fix turbocharged engines, as well as saying their 135s are constantly in the shop, throwing codes, things breaking, etc., so seeing you and IEDEI when he had his putting miles and miles of trouble-free driving on these seems like a good sign for both the quality of the engines and cars generally. I think it's always so hard to put much weight on people's anecdotal stories and evidence sometimes on these forums cause so many people who have these cars are running JB4s or cobb tunes, and tons of mods which I personally think is what contributes to a lot people's problems with these cars.

This concludes my rant. Drive on, put miles on and enjoy these things. I'm getting better.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #4416
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Guess this is potential good news then as I was very kind to mine as well during break in period and got post break-in oil change and my two oil changes were 5k apart. My next one will be in a month at about a 5500 mile interval.

I know a lot of people worry about the long-term reliability and cost to fix turbocharged engines, as well as saying their 135s are constantly in the shop, throwing codes, things breaking, etc., so seeing you and IEDEI when he had his putting miles and miles of trouble-free driving on these seems like a good sign for both the quality of the engines and cars generally. I think it's always so hard to put much weight on people's anecdotal stories and evidence sometimes on these forums cause so many people who have these cars are running JB4s or cobb tunes, and tons of mods which I personally think is what contributes to a lot people's problems with these cars.

This concludes my rant. Drive on, put miles on and enjoy these things. I'm getting better.
Agreed, and it's always a plus when you pick up a model in its last year of production, all the kings being worked out and what not.
      01-23-2015, 11:28 AM   #4417
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, and it's always a plus when you pick up a model in its last year of production, all the kings being worked out and what not.
Tell that to all the weird buzzes and creaking noises I get at times. I still think the interior build quality leaves a bit to be desired though. =(

And part of me now almost wishes I got the ohlins coilovers, while pricey and complete overkill for my situation I'm sure, given how much the PS transformed the car, I may have given the ohlins a harder look. Or am at least curious how those would feel/transform the car. Maybe I'll make Worra get them.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 11:43 AM   #4418
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tell that to all the weird buzzes and creaking noises I get at times. I still think the interior build quality leaves a bit to be desired though. =(

And part of me now almost wishes I got the ohlins coilovers, while pricey and complete overkill for my situation I'm sure, given how much the PS transformed the car, I may have given the ohlins a harder look. Or am at least curious how those would feel/transform the car. Maybe I'll make Worra get them.
That's weird because I've messed with the interior even more than you -- removed A-pillar 2x and glove box trim for dash cam and radar install, and took out rear seats and trim for amp and speaker install, yet not a squeak!

Is it a rattle or squeak and any idea of the source? Nothing a little foam tape probably can't fix.
      01-26-2015, 08:16 AM   #4419
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
That's weird because I've messed with the interior even more than you -- removed A-pillar 2x and glove box trim for dash cam and radar install, and took out rear seats and trim for amp and speaker install, yet not a squeak!

Is it a rattle or squeak and any idea of the source? Nothing a little foam tape probably can't fix.
Yeah, also, do you keep a lot of stuff in your car? I get rattles in mine but it's actually from things being in the center console of glove box, but once I move stuff around or take it out the interior is generally very quiet, except for the occasional pop inside the dash form the AC vents
If it's from the back the folding rear seat back latches could also be the culprit...
      01-26-2015, 08:53 AM   #4420
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
i think SOME people are much more attentive to squeaks and rattles than others.

my 135is had a TON of weird sounds....the seats, the trunk, the pillars, the doors, the center console, the brake pedal, clutch pedall.....it drove me nuts and i was constantly getting them looked at when i dropped the car at the dealer.

the 1M is much better than the 135is i had in terms of squeaks, but i still had a CLUNK coming from the rear end a couple of weeks ago and they fixed a bushing in the trunk lid and it went away; WEIRD! I do have an armrest squeak right now which seems endemic for almost any 1er although it's been there so long that i've actually just blocked it out now! lol

from my experience, ALL european cars make a lot more noise than japanese cars do. I've head BMW and Audi loaners with 2000 miles that sound like they've been driven for 100k miles.

soooooo...who's ready for 25 inches of snow today? I AM I AM!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #4421
motorchimp
I have Brimbo's
Rep
Drives: 135is, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

my 135is had a TON of weird sounds....the seats, the trunk, the pillars, the doors, the center console, the brake pedal, clutch pedall.....it drove me nuts and i was constantly getting them looked at when i dropped the car at the dealer.

the 1M is much better than the 135is i had in terms of squeaks, but i still had a CLUNK coming from the rear end a couple of weeks ago and they fixed a bushing in the trunk lid and it went away; WEIRD! I do have an armrest squeak right now which seems endemic for almost any 1er although it's been there so long that i've actually just blocked it out now! lol

from my experience, ALL european cars make a lot more noise than japanese cars do. I've head BMW and Audi loaners with 2000 miles that sound like they've been driven for 100k miles.

Hmm maybe I lucked out with my 1er more, which by the way, turns 1 year in my possession TODAY!!! But my 1 has been rattle and squeak free, and you could count me into the very picky when it comes to this stuff. My 997 would drive me nuts with its interior squeaks and rattles, it sounded like it was made of lego pieces!
      01-26-2015, 10:37 AM   #4422
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post

I'm ready for maybe the first 5... after that no point in being outside lol. ALTHOUGH I am taking my 135i to a winter auto-x end of Feb (they have snow machine at the track), going to be a blast!