BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: planning my getaway

SUBWOOFERS and 1M's: recipe for disaster?

Hey all, I had a pretty sweet audio setup in my 135i that I paid about $7k for which includes all morel speakers, a tru technology amp, a custom fiberglass sub box, a Morel Ultimo 12 sub and a high performance battery. Now that I am selling the one and plan to get a 1M next year, I plan to get rid of my sub and amp and just upgrade the stock speakers to keep the weight about the same as a stock 1M. I figure it's time to move on from the heavy bass. It's an M car, and lot's of attention is focused on keeping the weight down to improve performance, so why jeopardize the near perfect weight distribution in order to have a sub and amp in the trunk? This is logical thinking.

But of course there is a side of me that thinks I will miss my thump in the trunk. I know there are a lot of driving enthusiasts on here that will say it's a stupid idea to add the little extra weight. But I have to ask myself what do I like to do? Sure I love to drive. I also love to listen to music. Electronic, hip hop, whatever sounds good. It's a lot of fun to mob around bumpin' beats.

I'm kind of 50/50 on whether or not I want to put the stuff in the trunk. Any opinions and feedback would be much appreciated. If I left it out and just changed the small speakers inside i'm sure it would still sound really great. If I put it in i'm sure it wouldn't ad that much weight and the car is still gonna handle like a dream, with a killer sound system.

Also my audio guy said there are lightweight components like amps and subs that are built specifically for fast cars with weight in mind. I already have a fiberglass enclosure which keeps the weight down. I might just find a lighter sub and amp and throw it all in the 1M. OK, Flame away!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

That looks pretty loud, maybe get a smaller one that wouldn't irritate people outside the car, it would be lighter too I imagine, being smaller..
      10-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
PrimoM3
Chemofski
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M

I bet it sounded great, but why have a theatre system in car? Keep that in your entertainment room at home and enjoy the sound of the engine and exhaust in your car. For road trips, the standard radio/speakers + iPod does a more than adequate job.

What's all that crap weigh?

'13 Space Gray/Mugello Red X5///M
Pavement Punisher | Snow Muncher | Family and Board Hauler | Roadtripper
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah iv'e got a surround sound system at home with a Paradigm SUB 15 and an Arcam receiver, so I guess I shouldn't bitch about not having any bass in my car. I think i'll sell it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 04:50 PM   #5
niuniu
NO DOGMA
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: baby bimmer

Don't BMW offer an upgrade for the sound system in the States? They do in EU
      10-25-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
MrRoboto
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I would rather listen to the car while driving and save the oversized speakers for my home.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #7
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula M View Post
quantity is not quality...

Morels are excellent speakers, but there is absolutely no need for a 12" anything within a car. Functionally, pushing that much volume of air is pointless, it lacks precision & nuances that you would get from well crossed set 6" subs... imo

Fidelity is what morel's are about... (true morels from Israel, not US).. so simply replacing factory with Morel's and driving them properly would be the best fidelity.

If u want loud, then the question u pose is irrelevant.
Well I think subs are subjective, some people like the bass to rattle their rib cage and some like a less pronounced bottom end. When you get into quality equipment the biggest pleasure is that it will sound amazing at all volumes, no need to go deaf.

I will be ditching the "ultimo 12" though due to weight concerns.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #8
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Don't BMW offer an upgrade for the sound system in the States? They do in EU
A set of quality speakers like focal or morel installed by a custom shop will sound way better than anything BMW will offer. It will take time to install and cost more though. Worth every penny IMO
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:37 PM   #9
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

I used to run a competition quality soundsystem in my when i was younger. (25k+ sound system used to compete in SQ sound competitions). Now i look back on it and think what a huge mistake it was. Not only does it add considerable weight (yes considerable, even a 12" sub, its box, and two amps - one to drive your highs and one to drive your lows, a very meager system is still adding AT LEAST 90 pounds), but i have to be honest, when i see people drive by me now bumping loud music, its just laughable to me. It seems so cool when you're younger, but now I realize that to everyone else, its just classless.

You can enjoy a superb sound system that emphasizes nuance and detail simply by choosing a few high end speakers with very low THD, run high end amps at high impedance, and choose small tight subs with little travel. The person who really loves music, only cares how it sounds to them... not their whole neighborhood. Thats what i learned anyway.

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I used to run a competition quality soundsystem in my when i was younger. (25k+ sound system used to compete in SQ sound competitions). Now i look back on it and think what a huge mistake it was. Not only does it add considerable weight (yes considerable, even a 12" sub, its box, and two amps - one to drive your highs and one to drive your lows, a very meager system is still adding AT LEAST 90 pounds), but i have to be honest, when i see people drive by me now bumping loud music, its just laughable to me. It seems so cool when you're younger, but now I realize that to everyone else, its just classless.

You can enjoy a superb sound system that emphasizes nuance and detail simply by choosing a few high end speakers with very low THD, run high end amps at high impedance, and choose small tight subs with little travel. The person who really loves music, only cares how it sounds to them... not their whole neighborhood. Thats what i learned anyway.

- esquire
Not to mention how well it sounds at rest, then you pull out of your driveway. All that SQ just got cancelled out by road noise and sealed cabin.

T (used to design and install those IASCA systems)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2010, 11:44 PM   #11
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the thoughtful input all. I've decided a 12" sub has no place in an //M car. No sunroof, no subs, light and nimble are the goal. Can't wait to feel the difference.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:04 AM   #12
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
The person who really loves music, only cares how it sounds to them... not their whole neighborhood. Thats what i learned anyway.

- esquire
In reference to MY system, one 12" sub isn't really gonna bother anyone let alone the whole neighborhood. I do agree with you though about the kids cruising around obviously trying to get attention imposing their music on others with their Cadillac Escalade stuffed with four 15" subs rattling the whole block. The saying goes your freedom stops where someone else's begins. I just got a kick out of my car sounding like a freakin' dance club. Not trying to simulate an earthquake tho
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2010, 12:43 AM   #13
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by friscogypsee View Post
In reference to MY system, one 12" sub isn't really gonna bother anyone let alone the whole neighborhood. I do agree with you though about the kids cruising around obviously trying to get attention imposing their music on others with their Cadillac Escalade stuffed with four 15" subs rattling the whole block. The saying goes your freedom stops where someone else's begins. I just got a kick out of my car sounding like a freakin' dance club. Not trying to simulate an earthquake tho
I havent seen that around here in a while

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #14
M2audioman
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Morel and Tru Tech? You sound like me. I had a competition system in my old G35 Coupe. I took first place in the IASCA SQ comp in Vegas with it. Great products. Bought the products from John Yi and had Devin Oliver do most of the install. If you haven't met those guys, you should.

In any case, when I got my M Coupe, I sold it all. It hurt to part ways with the stuff, but to be honest, i'm over that point in my life. I'm sure one day down the road i'll have the itch again, but right now, i'm content.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Easy, forget about all that BS, and just listen to the car instead!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

I beg to differ
If you like listening to electronic, hip hop etc, you will want bass. Try turning any system with the bass down and listen to it, it will sound like sh!t without the bass. Seriously, how much does the you 12in sub and the enclosurre weigh? The fibreglass enclosure looks pretty small to me. It will not be noticable when you drive it, as far as the acceleration and handling is concerned, but you will surely be missing the thump from what you are saying.
I say keep your sub, may be not install it straight away if you are not sure, but don't sell it yet so you will not regret it when you feel that you need more bass.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw135fan View Post
I beg to differ
If you like listening to electronic, hip hop etc, you will want bass. Try turning any system with the bass down and listen to it, it will sound like sh!t without the bass. Seriously, how much does the you 12in sub and the enclosurre weigh? The fibreglass enclosure looks pretty small to me. It will not be noticable when you drive it, as far as the acceleration and handling is concerned, but you will surely be missing the thump from what you are saying.
I say keep your sub, may be not install it straight away if you are not sure, but don't sell it yet so you will not regret it when you feel that you need more bass.
Right on thanks, it's nice to hear some opinions from the other side of the spectrum. I agree with you and now it seems the smartest thing to do would be to hang on to the gear so I have OPTIONS. It's all about options.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #18
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335audioman View Post
Morel and Tru Tech? You sound like me. I had a competition system in my old G35 Coupe. I took first place in the IASCA SQ comp in Vegas with it. Great products. Bought the products from John Yi and had Devin Oliver do most of the install. If you haven't met those guys, you should.

In any case, when I got my M Coupe, I sold it all. It hurt to part ways with the stuff, but to be honest, i'm over that point in my life. I'm sure one day down the road i'll have the itch again, but right now, i'm content.
Nice, I had a G35 with a pretty sweet system too. Probably like you, I moved over to BMW cause I needed more HP and torque, better handling etc.

I'm gonna replace the stock speakers with the morels and see how it sounds, my friends infiniti with a couple properly powered 6x9's sounded awesome with plenty of bass so that was inspiring. Congrats on the competition man I love Vegas, and thanks for dropping those names I will def look out for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2010, 01:10 AM   #19
Brissie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135

At some point of our life we will all get over needing big bass, but before you get to that stage, you will miss not having bass. Even then, it is nice to have some sub bass for any kind of music you listen to, and your morel is good and worth keeping, IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #20
singh21
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Big bass is not for everyone but for the people it is for it is an unbelievable experience!!!

I would just get a light 12". there definatly are subs created for faster cars and lighter amps. This thread is WAY to one sided for a true opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #21
confusion
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw135fan View Post
At some point of our life we will all get over needing big bass
And then several years later when you can actually afford it (not sacrifice to have it), it will consume you. Once a bass head, always a bass head.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2010, 02:15 PM   #22
friscogypsee
Second Lieutenant
Rep

haha there's more bass junkies on this forum than I thought.

If you guys want some dope beats then head on over to soundcloud.com and search for SPACE COWBOYS and GOUGH STREET SESSIONS.

Some of the finest bay area DJ's, 100% free mixes. ENJOY
Appreciate 0