BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-09-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

anyone purchase from these guys? (diffuser)

Hi folks, I came across this diffuser on ebay and was curious if anyone has used this seller before and had any issues? anything I should be aware of/look out for? Thanks again!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E82-1-Se...item1c25acd153
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Yes, a number of folks have. Search louiellp. I'm not aware of any issues. I didn't have any and I'm pleased with the diffuser for the cost.

Here is mine:
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=200
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #3
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Some people reported terrible packing and cracked diffusers/small tabs/etc..
      05-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satalite View Post
Some people reported terrible packing and cracked diffusers/small tabs/etc..
Never heard of that with the louiellp diffusers. There were/are multiple ebay sellers.

I spoke (through PM) with the first 3 louiellp buyers on 1addicts, and there were no such issues, so I ordered mine, which was packaged perfectly, not cracked and fit perfectly.

I haven't kept up with aftermarket diffuser threads (since I'm happy with mine), so could you please provide a link to such a thread that reported problems with the louiellp diffuser specifically.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Flipwit
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I appreciate both ends of the spectrum. Jkoral, are you still 100% satisfied with it? and Satalite, do you by chance have a thread where they say that? I looked but no dice yet. Thanks again for the replies!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Looks like the JC SPortline one.
On mine
-CF quality is pretty good.
-Mesh quality, crap, needed to touch up paint.
-Fitment, OKish. Mine is still not on properly, needed a bit of massaging to go in and tabs still don't quite stay in. Need to take off again and play with it as it really bugs me.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget
Looks like the JC SPortline one.
On mine
-CF quality is pretty good.
-Mesh quality, crap, needed to touch up paint.
-Fitment, OKish. Mine is still not on properly, needed a bit of massaging to go in and tabs still don't quite stay in. Need to take off again and play with it as it really bugs me.
Are your tabs a bit small? I have trouble with mine on the ends staying in... Don't know what to do..
      05-10-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Yep, ones on the end don't stay in so it isn't flush on the side, which means it then bows in the middle and isn't flush there. It's only a tiny bit out but it bugs me an unreasonable amount.
Going to try wrapping tape through the mounting holes so they're smaller and maybe then it will stay in.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Satalite
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Yep, ones on the end don't stay in so it isn't flush on the side, which means it then bows in the middle and isn't flush there. It's only a tiny bit out but it bugs me an unreasonable amount.
Going to try wrapping tape through the mounting holes so they're smaller and maybe then it will stay in.
Let me know if you get anything to work. Mine doesn't sit flush either. Its not very noticeable but I would rather it actually sit how it should then be a little off...

I have tried double sided tape but the amount of pressure you have to put on it to keep it in is a lot and the double sided tape doesn't work... So don't know what else I could do..
      05-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #10
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipwit View Post
Jkoral, are you still 100% satisfied with it?
The louiellp and JCSportLine look very similar, but appear to be two different manufacturers (i.e. not the same product).

For the cost, I'm 100% satisfied. If I wanted perfection, I would have spend $1K+ more for the BMW Performance one. ($1275 at Tischer, $1500 locally with no shipping). To me, that was not worth it for such a decorative piece that you only see from a distance. There was someone here that did a comparison between the BMW one and ebay knock off (he had the knock off and bought a used BMW one for around $700 IIRC, a good price), and the differences were only noticeable if you were on your knees 6" away, looking closely in detail.

I had no problems with fit, but I do believe it is maybe 1/16 or 1/8 too narrow. I noticed it when installing it (and photographed it -- right side below), but now when I look at the car I don't see it at all. Others told me they took two set of hands to twist/torque/stretch it to fit, but I didn't do any of that (installed mine in 5-10 minutes).

The clips also seemed fine, they didn't need sanding/filing down (like another manufacturer) and they are big enough to hold in the slots.

There are also a couple seams in the CF that appears noticeable in the pictures, but not once the diffuser is mounted and definitely not when standing behind the car a few feet away.

As far as the mesh, I had no problems with it. No touch up required (and the mesh was not turned 90 degrees in one of the openings, as someone else reported in another ebay knockoff). The only thing I had to do was move one or two of the silver pins so they were not visible from the front.

Packaging was perfect. Heavy duty, reinforced box to prevent crushing. Wrapped in multiple layers.

I've attached some more pictures that highlight the "problems". If the BMW diffuser was $700, I think this would be a no brainer, go BMW (similar to the spoiler which is under $500).

I'm pretty anal about my car and I only went with this after talking to the other folks who have had one. My wife tried to dissuade me because she knows how nuts I am and she thought I would miserable if it wasn't perfect, but I'm pleased and have zero regrets.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #11
Everfly
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Let me know if you get anything to work. Mine doesn't sit flush either. Its not very noticeable but I would rather it actually sit how it should then be a little off...

I have tried double sided tape but the amount of pressure you have to put on it to keep it in is a lot and the double sided tape doesn't work... So don't know what else I could do..
Sorry it didn't work out for you ;(
I still do have the problem with my OEM piece poping out in a day or two ;(
I just push it back and check every few days
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
Nugget
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:

Took another crack at it.
Filed down the tabs, wrapped tape around the inside of the slots to make them tighter and realigned.
The screw holes are in slightly the wrong positions so currently only have 3 of the 5 screws in, will see how that goes.
I think it is about as good as I'm going to get it, and looks fine from a few feet away.

Biggest gap

1metre away

CF on the front fits perfectly

Last edited by Nugget; 05-15-2012 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0