BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-29-2015, 01:41 PM   #23
I35it
all day
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2004 Toyota Tacoma  [0.00]
2009 VW GTI  [0.00]
2012 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
Just ot back in from out of town and checked out the thread, great info here, and I appreciate the input.

Here's a link to the car, still for sale, appears to have a great mix of options, possibly just about every option box was checked off this car when new.

http://www.rockwallford.com/used/BMW...vdp-recentCars

Its at 35k miles but the carfax shows 2 owners. Original owner leased in Oregon from Carrera Motors and registered it in California, brought it to Texas before the lease was up. It was turned into BMW/Mini of Dallas with only 16k miles on it after a 4 year lease, crazy. Second owner bought it in March of 2014 and has put about 20k miles on it before trading it to a Ford dealer in July of this year.

Carfax shows the car was always maintained at BMW/Mini of Dallas about every 6-8 months regardless of mileage by the first owner. Second owner carfax shows huge list of service items at 18,7k miles in April of 2014 and then service/maintenance every 4k miles, again all done by BMW/Mini of Dallas so I have no doubt its mechanically tip top.

-navigation, HID lighting, sports package, I believe M package based on the wheels
-dark wood trim on interior and heated sport seats indicating lux or premium package as well?

Is $24,9k a fair asking price for this 2 owner car?

I am thread jacking for sure, but I am in San Antonio and will be selling my car because of an unforeseen accident. (BABY) but I indeed have a DCT in my vehicle and without trying to sound biased I love it and its my first (auto) ever. But if your ever in San Antonio and want to try a DCT let me know or if you want to buy!!

1 owner/ crimson red/ All options/ Apex wheels/ 1 owner/ FBO/ w/ stock parts, all for a little more then that other car your looking at.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 02:01 PM   #24
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Just ot back in from out of town and checked out the thread, great info here, and I appreciate the input.

Here's a link to the car, still for sale, appears to have a great mix of options, possibly just about every option box was checked off this car when new.

http://www.rockwallford.com/used/BMW...vdp-recentCars

Its at 35k miles but the carfax shows 2 owners. Original owner leased in Oregon from Carrera Motors and registered it in California, brought it to Texas before the lease was up. It was turned into BMW/Mini of Dallas with only 16k miles on it after a 4 year lease, crazy. Second owner bought it in March of 2014 and has put about 20k miles on it before trading it to a Ford dealer in July of this year.

Carfax shows the car was always maintained at BMW/Mini of Dallas about every 6-8 months regardless of mileage by the first owner. Second owner carfax shows huge list of service items at 18,7k miles in April of 2014 and then service/maintenance every 4k miles, again all done by BMW/Mini of Dallas so I have no doubt its mechanically tip top.

-navigation, HID lighting, sports package, I believe M package based on the wheels
-dark wood trim on interior and heated sport seats indicating lux or premium package as well?

Is $24,9k a fair asking price for this 2 owner car?
Checked out your car and it looks pretty good. I think that's a fair price for the miles and options. I took a chance and bought my lease (2011, DCT) without an extended warranty or getting it CPO'd. I'm glad I did. That's money that I saved. If something goes wrong other than normal wear and tear, I'll just get it fixed. Sounds like you'll be able to count on your mechanical skills to help you out some financially, so you should save in the long run. As long as you're okay with the DCT, and it sounds like you are, I say go for it. Good luck.
      08-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #25
Mr Rooty Von Tooty
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135i M-Sport

After experiencing the DCT, I'll never go back to a stick. BTW, the DCT is now only offered in the M3/M4 at an outrageous price!

There is one downside. A stick will be more economical on fuel assuming it is driven conservatively.
Appreciate 2
Gangplank1539.50
      08-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #26
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Rooty Von Tooty View Post
After experiencing the DCT, I'll never go back to a stick. BTW, the DCT is now only offered in the M3/M4 at an outrageous price!
And will soon be offered in the M2.
      08-16-2015, 03:16 PM   #27
blue135
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

I might have been in the same quandry you are in. Drove manuals almost exclusively until last ten years. Wanted a 1 series convertible. Looked at 128s/135s with manual and DCT. Down to 2012 135 DCT and 2008 6 MT. Liked the DCT and the color better, but went with the 2008 because of the manual. Am very happy with my choice.

In the eighties i had a 533 5sp and a 535is with auto. Loved the 535is but always wished it had the manual.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 06:34 PM   #28
The Wind Breezes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

If you actually like driving get the DCT with no regrets. When driving properly shifting should be pretty far down the list as far as sources of enjoyment. The DCT works really well and lets you keep both hands on the wheel for maximum sensation and control.

As far as the maintenance goes, difficulty level is similar to your E36.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 07:25 PM   #29
tglazed
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

I had an 08 135i N54 6 speed and now have a 135i N55 DCT. I love flipping through gears without a doubt but I do miss being able to rev it up and drop the clutch (I know very childish). It also took me a bit to get use to the DCT but what I have found is it was much easier to get the back end out in the 6 speed then the DCT. A couple negative things that I ABSOLUTELY HATE about the DCT are; It shifts for you automatically right at redline, It sometimes does things when you don't want it to (rare occasion), and when in traffic the throttle is well... very weird and delayed. I am not sure if this is because I have not got the update for the transmission that I keep reading and hearing about or what. (bought the car about 2 months ago so I am unsure if this car has it yet). Anyways figured I would post my review of the 2 transmissions side by side. If I had the choice, I would probably of gone with the 6 speed in the end. It is worth the annoyance of having to shift in traffic and the 6 speed on the BMW feels very good. Take it for what it is worth.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 08:09 PM   #30
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wind Breezes View Post
If you actually like driving get the DCT with no regrets. When driving properly shifting should be pretty far down the list as far as sources of enjoyment.
Whose enjoyment? Defined by whom?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 08:41 PM   #31
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
After driving my entire life on MTs I ordered my 2013 BMW135is with a DCT. Changed my mind and called prior to production to get switched to a 6MT. Too late. Changes weren't allowed and I ended up with a DCT. Now 2.5 years later I love it. No regrets. At the track its a dream. I would take it any day over a MT. On the street I like the engagement of the MT but the smoothness and adjustment options of the DCT is hard to ignore.

I do wonder how reliable it will be though. I haven't found a good DIY on changing the fluid. I have the first allocation for an M2 and I thought I would never become a convert but will likely order it with a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #32
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelToe View Post
I have the first allocation for an M2 and I thought I would never become a convert but will likely order it with a DCT.
The 2er has started to grow on me and the M2 should be some car. I'm very interested in this and am eagerly awaiting its introduction.
      08-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #33
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

A good automatic transmission, such as (apparently) the DCT is going to satisfy some prior MT drivers who look at the shifting of gears as a matter of efficiency in driving. I have no doubt that modern automatic transmissions can be more efficient than manual transmissions in almost every measurable way -- measured acceleration (such as 0-60 or standing quarter mile), fuel economy, and practicality on clogged roads in urban areas.

I don't think there is any objective comparison in which an AT won't beat a MT, if the AT is state of the art 2015.

There is another group of people, however, to whom manually shifting gears is a "romantic" part their control of a vehicle in what they consider to be enjoyable driving. It's the same sort of thing as hydraulic power steering; electric is probably "better" in a number of "objective" ways, because I doubt that so many high end automobile manufacturers would have gone over to it if it was "worse" from a practical standpoint.

So I get the idea that DCT could be wonderful in the eyes of some former MT car drivers, and I get the idea that these drivers are "never going back." Of course, it isn't like they haven't had a lot of prodding in the last few years as more and more manufacturers drop the MT option from more and more of their vehicles, so seeing the handwriting on the wall is not a bad thing or unobservant on their part.

Still for me, and I suspect a number of others who would bother to seek out special cars, or even collect them, I/we aren't going there until absolutely forced to do so.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2017, 08:10 AM   #34
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

My comment is purely about performance due to the fact that I think we can all agree that engagement is a no brainer in the fact that 6MT is more engaging.
But I prefer the fastest model of a vehicle that the manufacturer makes. I don't care if it's only in tenths of a second. I hooked up with a bunch of M3's and some other high performance guys and we went on a run. The DCT cars were in the sweet spot every time we would let loose a little. Not to mention the missed shifts that occurred once in a blue moon on the manual cars. And I'm not talking about newbies here. I'm speaking of 40-50 year old men who have been driving M3's for quite some time including the other 20 manual sports cars they have owned over the past 30 years. I swapped out with a 6MT and he couldn't believe how well the DCT reacted to the push of the throttle. Whether it was a tap and she dropped down one gear or planting the gas pedal and the DCT dropping from 5th to 2nd knowing exactly where to be. Is that NOT engaging? I don't know, I guess it's arguable. But I will admit his 6MT was engaging. But the fact is during that evening of running around the 6MT cars were consistently looking at our bumpers. And in those few seconds I can tell you they were not feeling very engaged. Just my .02 cents.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 08:48 AM   #35
madsedan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 91 318is S50 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
My comment is purely about performance due to the fact that I think we can all agree that engagement is a no brainer in the fact that 6MT is more engaging.
But I prefer the fastest model of a vehicle that the manufacturer makes. I don't care if it's only in tenths of a second. I hooked up with a bunch of M3's and some other high performance guys and we went on a run. The DCT cars were in the sweet spot every time we would let loose a little. Not to mention the missed shifts that occurred once in a blue moon on the manual cars. And I'm not talking about newbies here. I'm speaking of 40-50 year old men who have been driving M3's for quite some time including the other 20 manual sports cars they have owned over the past 30 years. I swapped out with a 6MT and he couldn't believe how well the DCT reacted to the push of the throttle. Whether it was a tap and she dropped down one gear or planting the gas pedal and the DCT dropping from 5th to 2nd knowing exactly where to be. Is that NOT engaging? I don't know, I guess it's arguable. But I will admit his 6MT was engaging. But the fact is during that evening of running around the 6MT cars were consistently looking at our bumpers. And in those few seconds I can tell you they were not feeling very engaged. Just my .02 cents.
I test drove a couple of DCT M3's now and decided I am ONLY interested in the 6MT models. The DCT is faster but I enjoy three pedals more than the DCT by a long shot. And seeing as how there is starting to be a premium for 6MT E90/E92 M3's and they are harder to find that I'm not the only one.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2017, 09:25 AM   #36
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
I test drove a couple of DCT M3's now and decided I am ONLY interested in the 6MT models. The DCT is faster but I enjoy three pedals more than the DCT by a long shot. And seeing as how there is starting to be a premium for 6MT E90/E92 M3's and they are harder to find that I'm not the only one.
Definitely a premium for 6MT as there were less made. But that didn't affect me when I purchased my two M3's. I certainly could and would have purchased a manual car but I found the car that hit every one of my specs and the price was right. Any which way these cars come they are amazing and check off everything on my driving list as I am sure they do yours and every one else's.
Appreciate 0