BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i

Remus race quad exhaust question

Does anyone here have the remus race exhaust? I'm trying to figure out how much louder this one is versus the stock axleback.

From what I can tell on youtube videos, Remus Street isn't any louder than stock. I'm tempted to go with Remus Race, but I don't want to get something super loud that will drone on the highway.

I would like something that is a good halfway point between stock and a muffler delete.

Does anyone have any experience with this exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #2
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i 6MT

I'm not sure about Remus, I know I love my set-up.

It idles stock and only gets loud when WOT, perfect combo for hearing it when you want and not when you don't. Not trying to high-jack your thread, but this muffler mod was spot on

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=963343
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep

I've already done that, but I'm running stock everything else. It's slightly louder than it was, but tone changed more than anything.

Mostly, I'm just looking to switch to a quad exhaust and get a little more volume at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #4
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
I've already done that, but I'm running stock everything else. It's slightly louder than it was, but tone changed more than anything.

Mostly, I'm just looking to switch to a quad exhaust and get a little more volume at the same time.
volume comes from larger piping, but the quad exhaust does add a real aggressive look to the rear end.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 08:02 AM   #5
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ozanich View Post
volume comes from larger piping, but the quad exhaust does add a real aggressive look to the rear end.
Actually, that barely changes the sound in my past experiences. Volume comes from changing the muffler design or removing mufflers/cats/etc.

I had a firebird that I changed the muffler on first. That made a huge difference with everything else being unchanged from stock. Later on, I added 3 inch piping the rest of the way back to where the headers merge. Made no difference at all in the sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:20 AM   #6
c_ozanich
Mech Engr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvee View Post
Actually, that barely changes the sound in my past experiences. Volume comes from changing the muffler design or removing mufflers/cats/etc.

I had a firebird that I changed the muffler on first. That made a huge difference with everything else being unchanged from stock. Later on, I added 3 inch piping the rest of the way back to where the headers merge. Made no difference at all in the sound.
I have a 4inch dp and berk mids (larger piping in both) and volume increased quite a bit...

As long as there's a good amount of back pressure maintaining high exhaust air velocity speeds, its going to get louder because of the volume of air the exhaust is releasing. The muffler suppresses the amount of air coming from the tips of the exhaust because of the channels/restrictor plates and fiberglass inside the main chamber. The muffler exhaust mod changes the "loudness" because its essentially a faux straight pipe going through the muffler, larger diameter pipe in there would produce a louder sound.

Either way, you'll be louder going with a race application as opposed to a street.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_ozanich View Post
I have a 4inch dp and berk mids (larger piping in both) and volume increased quite a bit...

As long as there's a good amount of back pressure maintaining high exhaust air velocity speeds, its going to get louder because of the volume of air the exhaust is releasing. The muffler suppresses the amount of air coming from the tips of the exhaust because of the channels/restrictor plates and fiberglass inside the main chamber. The muffler exhaust mod changes the "loudness" because its essentially a faux straight pipe going through the muffler, larger diameter pipe in there would produce a louder sound.

Either way, you'll be louder going with a race application as opposed to a street.
I'd still say your volume increase has more to do with losing cats in your downpipes than pipe size.

Another example I have is when we changed the header on my friends 06 civic si. There was an increase in pipe diameter, but he got a header with a cat still. The exhaust tone and volume barely changed, if at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #8
1ndonlySG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Space Grey / Coral

I've heard the sound is less than stock
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #9
Stvee
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ndonlySG View Post
I've heard the sound is less than stock
Are you talking about the street or race version? From what I can tell the street version does seem to be pretty quiet, but the race version is for sure louder than stock.
Appreciate 0