BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-16-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
bfi2906
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135 Coupe

Tuning option

In considering the alternatives, I came across this...
http://www.steinbauer.cc/neu/index.php?select_id=0

I hadn't heard of Steinbauer before, but googling it showed that I'm "late" to it. It doesn't appear as common as many others, and it is expensive - $A2865 (incl GST) + fitting.

It's distributed in Australia from Qld, and they have installers around the country. What did catch my attention was their (verbal) claim that they "whitebox" the product, and under such an arrangement, they do the tuning work for Schnitzer and Hamann. If that's true, it's quite a credential. I also read this elsewhere when googling.

I've attached the installation instructions

I'd be interested in views as to whether their approach is any different to all the other "box" providers - as opposed to those that reflash the ECU. There certainly seems to be quite a bit of unplugging and reconnecting - more than I understand others require. And whether folks think it has advantages or disadvantages.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 1247784704.pdf (1.61 MB, 2603 views)
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
WOPALX
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I would not believe the whitebox claim as Hannan etc I think are doing true ECU flashes, not piggy boxes.

As it seams to be a form of piggyback I don't understand the advantages of this over a Procede given it's actually referencing less info, unless I have missed something.

Maybe Adrian from Vishnu can chime in with his thoughts as he is the local expert on these things but IMHO you'd be getting royally ripped compared to other options on the market with this one.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
bobbynoway
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

Its looks very similiar to a JB+ but more complicated to install.
Avoid this one, unless the price has engine warrenty (like Dinan in US), their are better alternatives.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

After speaking to Adrian from Vishnu last week at the drive and discussing the options available with the Procede, I would deffinately go with the Procede if I didnt already have the JB3.. My 2 cents..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 03:56 AM   #5
Yep 135
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 135 manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
After speaking to Adrian from Vishnu last week at the drive and discussing the options available with the Procede, I would deffinately go with the Procede if I didnt already have the JB3.. My 2 cents..
Why?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Mainly due to having physical support right here in Sydney and not having to rely on support via email..

Plus these little points which would make a bit of a difference..

* Map switching from a remote control attached to your key ring..(Cool)
* JB has no ignition control.
* JB has similar other tuning features to Procede (other than ignition), but Procede has direct boost solenoid control where JB just adds boost (Procede can reduce it at point for smoother throttle control).
* Procede has speed delimitter function (you can drive above BMW imposed limitter)
* Procede has built in O2 sim function. If you install decat down pipes with JB, you need to purchase seperate O2 sims.
* Procede has datalogging capability allowing logging of many parameters through a windows laptop.
* Procede has user adjustable parameters to allow you to customise your tune to your requirements (boost level etc.).
* Procede has gear adjustable boost (less boost in lower gears for traction).
* Procede has CAN bus integration which allows reading of codes, clearing of codes, on dash display of map selected, on dash display of Procede fault codes, logging of engine parameters such as oil temp, and tuning based on these parameters (reduction of boost at low and high temps). You have to buy a seperate tool to do this with JB worth several hundred $$$.
* Procede is upgradable with simply a windows laptop with no special hardware required.
Appreciate 0