BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
fryguy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 m235xi

Alignment + new tires + maybe a bent rim. Which order of places to go?

So, now that winter is largely over, it's getting to be time to dump the stock RFTs for real tires (probably direzza star specs).

However, the winter, and potholes have been pretty bad to me. I currently have a slight vibration in the car, and it tends to not hold a straight line. Because of some hard pothole hits, I'm concerned about potentially a bent rim rather than just needing an alignment. There is what I think is a noticable vibration at speed, but it's only a vibration in seat of pants, no steering wheel vibration. Car spins a bit on full accel pulls from 1st and 2nd depending on the road, maybe a bit more than I would otherwise expect it to, but it's still pretty cold up here in Boston. Car generally stays composed, even at excessive specs, it's just the seat of the pants vibration that concerns me.

Which order should I do things? The most obvious seems to be to just find a wheel/tire place, get the direzzas and have them do an alignment. I'm concerned about order of operations in case I _do_ have a bent rim though. If they come in and are like "oh, you have a slightly bent rim, tires are already off the car, we can't/won't put them back on." that's a pain in the ass situation for me.

Should I just go to BMW and have them do an alignment, and deal with bent rim there if they find it, and then get tires separately a week later? How bad is BMW $-wise for alignments?

Other info: 135, DCT, m-sport wheels, 5500ish miles, no wheel and tire insurance

Any recommendations on wheel/tire place in the 'burbs of boston? (waltham/lexington area would be spectacular)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
Flyer4500
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i M Sport

Start a savings account for wheels and tires. Then kick self in ass for not getting insurance.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
Roshi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 - MW, 6MT.

I had the same issue - car pulls left at freeway speed, very slight vibration. I had BMW do the alignment - $299. They found a bubble in left side tire. They move the tire to the right side, car pulls right now. At least they narrowed down the cause for me. Of course they wanted $450 to replace the tire. I declined obviously. Besides, my Arc 8s wil hopefully be here by the end of the month.
Appreciate 0