BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
bimmerbarlow
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Snow pictures with new wheels and tires

My 225/45/17 Blizzaks on Sparco Pistas showed up just before the latest snow this morning. Got to test out the new setup with hardly any traffic on the Sunday morning streets. I'm impressed with the traction so far. Took a couple laps around town with my buddy in his GTi before finding another space gray 1er looking lonely with a blanket of snow on it.
Attached Images

02-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Addict...Nah Im A Junkie!
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 135i, 98 M rdstr

Sweet pic's!!!! Congrats on the new ride. Great color choice
      02-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
M3Newbie88
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

some nice pictures.. I like the gray and graphite combo..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

How did it do? Did you take all the traction nannies off? Test any stops on an incline? Got mine all tucked in warm and cozy in the garage.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:02 PM   #5
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

rims look good on ur space grey 1er
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
emac08
got em' son
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i sold / 08 E90 M3 sold

looks clean man! awesome fotos!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:36 AM   #7
Johnny Lin
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3

Nice wheels, nice shots
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
bimmerbarlow
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadeucsb View Post
How did it do? Did you take all the traction nannies off? Test any stops on an incline? Got mine all tucked in warm and cozy in the garage.
Tried it out with standard DSC + DTC, only DTC like the manual suggests for snow driving, and with nothing on. DSC + DTC felt a lot like my previous front drive cars in that it just brakes the outside front like crazy to induce understeer.

Just DTC is awesome. It let's the tail slide just enough to stay in control but not lose it. With the traction from the snow tires you can really put the power down out of turns and DTC doesn't kill your revs. Combine that with super smooth shifts from the steptronic and you can change gears mid slide without upsetting things. I've had more fun driving this car with this setup than anything I've ever had in the snow.

Everything off was delicate as expected. The balance between a slide and a spin is knife edge.

I tried some hill starts on a street that I know to be 18%. The snow here is pretty dry and was falling on dry pavement, so conditions were admittedly ideal for snow, but the car did great. From a dead stop, in second gear it started just fine.

Overall, and without too much experience to go on so far, I'd say that this car on snows is a match for my previous Mini with Dunlop Wintersports. That said, I'll save any blizzard condition ski trips for the FJ Cruiser.
      02-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #9
cadeucsb
Captain
Rep
Drives: TiAg 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbarlow View Post
Tried it out with standard DSC + DTC, only DTC like the manual suggests for snow driving, and with nothing on. DSC + DTC felt a lot like my previous front drive cars in that it just brakes the outside front like crazy to induce understeer.

Just DTC is awesome. It let's the tail slide just enough to stay in control but not lose it. With the traction from the snow tires you can really put the power down out of turns and DTC doesn't kill your revs. Combine that with super smooth shifts from the steptronic and you can change gears mid slide without upsetting things. I've had more fun driving this car with this setup than anything I've ever had in the snow.

Everything off was delicate as expected. The balance between a slide and a spin is knife edge.

I tried some hill starts on a street that I know to be 18%. The snow here is pretty dry and was falling on dry pavement, so conditions were admittedly ideal for snow, but the car did great. From a dead stop, in second gear it started just fine.

Overall, and without too much experience to go on so far, I'd say that this car on snows is a match for my previous Mini with Dunlop Wintersports. That said, I'll save any blizzard condition ski trips for the FJ Cruiser.
nice, glad to hear it. I have the Jeep out and about today, but always curious how you 1er in the snow folk are doing when the snow starts coming down. CO (non mountains) doesn't see many bad storms, maybe a couple days/yr where we get a day of really deep stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Those are really nice wheels man. Would you mind posting specs? I havent seen em before and I really like em. I am planning on downsizing to 17 inch snow tires next winter as I live in Syracuse now and I want a deeper snow tread.

Thanks

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #11
Ash83
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i & RS5 (SOLD)/ 18 CTS-V

Nice rims

Performance: JB4|BMW PE|DP Cosmetics: BMW Sport Pedals|Black Kidney Grill
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 04:24 PM   #12
bimmerbarlow
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Those are really nice wheels man. Would you mind posting specs? I havent seen em before and I really like em. I am planning on downsizing to 17 inch snow tires next winter as I live in Syracuse now and I want a deeper snow tread.

Thanks
I'm really stoked with how it turned out. At first I was a little worried about going gray on gray when I was looking at the mock-up on Tire Rack, but I stuck with my first instinct and I think they look sweet. $138 a piece isn't too bad for a second set either!

17 by 8 Sparco Pista front and rear
225/45R-17 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25 RFT
      02-08-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
Caleb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm really stoked with how it turned out. At first I was a little worried about going gray on gray when I was looking at the mock-up on Tire Rack, but I stuck with my first instinct and I think they look sweet. $138 a piece isn't too bad for a second set either!

Do you know if the BMW center caps will fit on those wheels?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:

Thanks for the info, I just found em on Tirerack. I still want OZs but if he money doesnt come through next winter these look like a nice alternative...thanks

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
R0n1n
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 135i Alpine White

Just got my car a few days ago and slapped these on for winter.
Attached Images