BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #1
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

GoPro HD - What mount(s) do you use for your 1er on track days?

Really impressed with all the vids using the GoPro and looking to purchase one for use on track days (as well as for skiing). Was wondering what forum members are using before purchasing a Motorsports Hero edition or if I should get a Naked edition and just purchase a mount. Also interested in how you mount (interior vs exterior).
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
aisthetes
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLEK135i View Post
Really impressed with all the vids using the GoPro and looking to purchase one for use on track days (as well as for skiing). Was wondering what forum members are using before purchasing a Motorsports Hero edition or if I should get a Naked edition and just purchase a mount. Also interested in how you mount (interior vs exterior).
I'm interested in this as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
I am not familiar with the naked edition but the HD is great. I mainly use the suction cup but you can get other mounts available. I recently used it for a snowboarding day with mixed results. You can view my videos and the different mounting positions and decide which one you like most. http://www.youtube.com/user/koriblue. let me know if you have any questions

Last edited by pixelblue; 01-23-2011 at 11:45 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Just to throw my $.02 in, I've been using the Contour HD, and I think it's a little better for car use.

The lens can be rotated 180 degrees, so you have a lot more flexibility with how it's mounted. The windshield mount works great and I've used it on bumpers, fenders, etc without any problems.

http://contour.com/camera/accessories/windshield
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
pixelblue
Colonel
Rep
Drives: the silver bullet

Garage List
2010 135i  [8.90]
^ looks good but is it protected from moisture and road grime. gopro is very versatile and can even be used under water
      01-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #6
MarkR171
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C | '20 100AE ND2

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
I use the suction cup mount for autocross. Mounted right behind the drivers window so you can see the road and steering inputs.

01-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
TrojanBMW
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixelblue View Post
^ looks good but is it protected from moisture and road grime. gopro is very versatile and can even be used under water
Yes.

It has a waterproof case available as well as adapters for just about anything you would want it to do.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #8
OLEK135i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Thank you for the responses.

So it looks like everyone is using the suction cup mount.

Has anyone mounted on the inside? If yes what did you use?

Has anyone mounted to their helmet (for track days, not skiing)?

When using the suction cup mount on the side, are you attaching it to the window or the body?

Has anyone attached to the body and if yes, does it ruin the paintwork?

(at this point, I think I am going to get the motorsports hero package and buy the chest mount for skiing since I don't wear a helmet when I ski)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2011, 12:19 PM   #9
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

[QUOTE=OLEK135i;8781505]Thank you for the responses.

So it looks like everyone is using the suction cup mount.

Has anyone mounted on the inside? If yes what did you use?

I Used a home-depot sourced headrest mount. basically a square bar with 2 "u" bolts mounted to the bars from the headrest. end of bar ends up in the middle of both seats and i attached mount there. also created a lanyard to passanger side headrest so that if the camer broke free, it could only go as far as lanyard and not hit me.. NOTE.. only newer Go-pros should do this as they have a setting to adjust for the light coming thru windshield. Otherwise track gets white-washed.

Has anyone mounted to their helmet (for track days, not skiing)?

No not enough room on top, and i would say it would shake alot

When using the suction cup mount on the side, are you attaching it to the window or the body?

window, lower foward most corner on the 1/4 glass.. best field of view to see your "hands" and the track. Lanyard also used ( as per track rules. i attach it to the coat hook on the inside pillar with wire ties and tape.)

Has anyone attached to the body and if yes, does it ruin the paintwork?

yes i have, and no it does not seem to damage anything.. i would be concerned if you did it on a section that was a recent repaint..

(at this point, I think I am going to get the motorsports hero package and buy the chest mount for skiing since I don't wear a helmet when I ski

04-20-2011, 09:23 AM   #10
RPMnorth
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5

GoPro has gone through a lot of changes with there automotive distribution and all distributors have been shut down by GoPro. Do not fear, RPMNorth has everything that you need. We carry all the cameras and the accessories as well. These accessories include the new LCD BacPac, battery BacPac, 3G hero system and we will have inventory of the wall chargers and car chargers as soon as they become available. Because we are one of the biggest GoPro resellers we stock way more than just the camera, we have the add on accessories as well.

HD Motorsports hero- 1080 video camera and still picture camera that comes with all the accessories that you will need to mount in on your car. Comes with flat mounts and suction cup mounts. Also can be used on your motorcycle. The only extra piece that you NEED to purchase is a sim card.
PRICE-$299
HD hero naked- 1080 video camera and still camera that comes with basic mounting accessories. It does not come with a suction cup mount.
PRICE-$259.00

In Stock GoPro accessories-
Roll bar mount- $29.99
Handlebar and seat post mount- $19.99
Suction cup mount- $29.99
Helmet front mount- $12.99
Head strap mount- $14.99
3D Hero system- $99.99
LCD BacPac- $79.99
Battery BacPac- $49.99
Tripod adapter- $7.99
HD hero Li-Ion battery- $19.99

NEW PARTS THAT YOU WANT TO KNOW ABOUT
-
LCD BacPac- If you are buying a new GoPro or you already own one you definitely want to purchase the LCD BacPac. This is a screen that mounts to the back of the GoPro and it allows you to play back footage on your GoPro. Even better than that, the LCD screen can help you see what you are going to record when you set the camera up on your car or motorcycle.

Battery BacPac- This unit mounts to the back you your GoPro and gives you lots of extra battery life for those times when you are going to be filming for a long time. It comes with an extra battery and can be charged while it is attached or separated from your camera.

3D HERO system- The newest release in technology is the 3D system. It is a case that allows you to hold 2 cameras and record in 3D. It comes with everything you need, including the software to do the recordings. Can be recorded in 3 different 3D formats and also comes with 3D glasses and a sync cable for the dual camera set up.

We are really proud to be a Go Pro dealer and welcome all orders. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me here or give me a call at (516) 870-0351.

Thanks-
-Craig
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 04:21 PM   #11
Evice
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M3

I've been using GoPro HD and love it so far.

I've the roll bar mount, and suction cup mount. Also recently purchased the LCD Pack.

If you wanna see some of my videos with my 128 and new track toy 98 M3 visit below.

www.youtube.com/alisalih
      05-06-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
gopro is a good system.

GoPro is awesome but the first time I used it, it fell off and some guy picked it up and turned it into the police station. Got the camera back and since have used military 5/50 cord to tie to body or wipers.

Go to http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...58#post9117958 to see some photos and at post #6, a video.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:36 PM   #13
NickterTF
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ford Explorer

GoPro Headrest Mount

What's up all. I posted this in a couple threads already today. I have some really nice GoPro Headrest Mount.. Great for the track.

Extends from 15 to 23 inches but the further you extend it the more vibration you may experience.. Not excessive but we want people to be happy with our products.

use ADDICTS for 15% off. 15 available.. I actually have about 30 active coupons out between here and the m3post forum. If you have any questions on the product let me know. I think it might be a good fit for your uses.. I also have suction cup gopro mounts as well if interested.. Great Quality.

www.tackform.com

The actual product page is https://tackform.com/shop/tackform-g...eadrest-mount/

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickterTF View Post
What's up all. I posted this in a couple threads already today. I have some really nice GoPro Headrest Mount.. Great for the track.

Extends from 15 to 23 inches but the further you extend it the more vibration you may experience.. Not excessive but we want people to be happy with our products.

use ADDICTS for 15% off. 15 available.. I actually have about 30 active coupons out between here and the m3post forum. If you have any questions on the product let me know. I think it might be a good fit for your uses.. I also have suction cup gopro mounts as well if interested.. Great Quality.

www.tackform.com

The actual product page is https://tackform.com/shop/tackform-g...eadrest-mount/

That looks nice but does the gopro have to sit that high? I have a cruise cam mount here the camera sits right on th arm and I find that to be perfect height for the interior. Wouldn't mind picking this up if the camera could be positioned lower.
      08-12-2014, 12:16 AM   #15
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
I have a Go Pro Hero2 but I've used a few different mounting options.

Suction cup on rear window

Cruise cam mount which is similar to the headrest mount above

Mounted to the side of the helmet.

I've also got a Rennsport tow hook mount but don't really like it.

Now I mostly use my iphone stuck to the dash with a RAM mount so I can record using Harry's Lap Timer.
eg

Last edited by Nugget; 08-12-2014 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Youtube embedding
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 12:17 AM   #16
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Any idea why embedding didn't work?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 03:46 PM   #17
02rsxpilot
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [10.00]
2013 Mini Cooper S  [0.00]
2002 Acura RSX  [0.00]
I use a HERO 2. Suction cup mount upside down from the sunroof inside. Never wanted to risk losing the camera outside the car. If you pay enough attention to the positioning, you can get a better view of the track (can see apexes on both sides of the car) than the driver's rear window offers, and still see your steering inputs. It's like seeing from the POV of a passenger.

I've also mounted it to my helmet before but found my inability to keep my head level through corners (a skill I need to get better at) made for a worse final video.

I found mounting the camera too far back, like from the headrest, gives too much view of the car's interior, which to me was useless. I'd much rather see the track if I've only got one camera view.
      08-12-2014, 06:12 PM   #18
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rsxpilot View Post
I use a HERO 2. Suction cup mount upside down from the sunroof inside. Never wanted to risk losing the camera outside the car. If you pay enough attention to the positioning, you can get a better view of the track (can see apexes on both sides of the car) than the driver's rear window offers, and still see your steering inputs. It's like seeing from the POV of a passenger.

I've also mounted it to my helmet before but found my inability to keep my head level through corners (a skill I need to get better at) made for a worse final video.

I found mounting the camera too far back, like from the headrest, gives too much view of the car's interior, which to me was useless. I'd much rather see the track if I've only got one camera view.
Adjust the viewing angle to more narrow and you won't have problem of too much interior from the headrest location.
      08-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #19
pattielipp
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i & MR-S

I have Two gopros, a Hero 3 Silver and a Hero3+ Black. for mounts I use the suction cup for outside and inside I prefer the Head mount.. unless there is a helmet.. In which case a Sticky mount on the side or sunction mount on a window or inside/center windshield.
Appreciate 0