BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

01-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i SG, 6MT, M Sp

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Talking The new guy.

OK. Here's the deal. I'm new to the BMW world. Getting a new 2012 135i, N55, space gray, coral red interior, glacier silver trim and almost completely decked out. Started paying it off through the military sales program last May when I got to the stan. I will be receiving it when I get back to Colorado in May this year. I have been hating this wait...But have found comfort in talking about it with other BMW owners and fans. I have been drooling over the 1 series since I joined the Army in '07 before the 1er's were even being sold in the US, and now my dream is coming to fruition. This is my first thread, so I thought I'd throw it all on the table and see how it goes.

So here's my questions...

I've done a lot of research into aftermarket performance parts, what I found were some interesting pieces, and I'd just like anyone and everyone's opinions on the quality of the products and if there's something better out there.

JB Tuning, N55, stage 1 or higher
HPF inter cooler
AR Design 4" Down pipe
HPF Exhaust System
BMS Charge Pipe

I'm still looking for a good intake... Injen and AFE are some of the ones I've been looking at.

Now as far as exterior looks I am getting mine with the BMW CF rear spoiler, and black grills. I love Carbon Fiber, the performance aspects to it, and just the fact that it looks awesome. I think it will go well with the Space Gray. First question for this is what happened to ICarbon?? from what I heard they had great stuff, but I heard also that they went under or something? Then I saw cooler2442's thread about Slek... I'd like to find out more about them. Rims... I love the look of the new Alufelgens the SF-71s hyper black or black would go well with grey, I keep hearing 19"s 19"s what I want to know is do they have 18" like stock rim size? Me and low pro tires don't work well together. plus the Army is gay and where I am they require you to have at least a set of all season tires which come with the car, or a set of winter tires for the snow. My thoughts are nice looking rims and original tires. Also I know the tire pressure sensors are on the original rims... Can you transplant them onto the new rims or is it back to a tire pressure gauge in the glove box?

Well that's pretty much it. I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes on. Thanks everyone and I hope everyone's doing ok back home.
      01-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #2
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M-Sport :D

ICarbon folded..and don't be fooled their products weren't any where as good as they were hyped up to be. Personally I think the HPF exhaust is way over priced for what it is...a cat back exhaust system that doesn't net any gains over the competition.

As far as rims and tires go, the factory 18 tires are sport tires and not all seasons. Do what most people do, get your nice rims with sport tires and put winters on the stock wheels. Buy a second set of tpm sensors and you won't have to worry about swapping them from rim to rim. Just an FYI snow tires are totally worth it in the winter vs. all season.

Hope time passes by quick for you and you get to your car soon!
      01-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #3
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Ok. Thanks for the info. I could have swore they had run flat all seasons on there. I'll keep the snow tires in mind. the wheel, tire, and sensor part should work out. Granted this is a long term goal getting the funds for most of this stuff is going to take time for me. Thanks again.
      01-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #4
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

There's is an option from bmw where you can get 17's with all seasons, but don't go that rout at all. The 18's are where it's at! Honestly take your time with getting parts b/c they're developing things for the N55 weekly. By the time you're ready to get something, there may be something better out on the market.

In all honesty before investing in parts to make the car faster, invest in making yourself faster and sign up for a couple HPDE's to learn what the car does. I promise you won't regret it at all. Most fun you can have with your clothes on!!
      01-10-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

your first mod should be a sway bar.

$200 and you can put it in in your driveway in all of 30 minutes.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #6
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
HPDE?? like a high end drivers training? If so where do they have things like that. I know of Bordant School of racing, in the Phoenix area. And I figured since the N55 is somewhat of a newer engine, that this would be the case about new parts coming out often.
      01-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #7
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
do you have a good brand or are they all similar and not really matter which one to choose from?
      01-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #8
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
HA HAAAAA!!! just got my order and VIN #'s Woot Woot!!!!
      01-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #9
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by predator19872 View Post
HPDE?? like a high end drivers training? If so where do they have things like that. I know of Bordant School of racing, in the Phoenix area. And I figured since the N55 is somewhat of a newer engine, that this would be the case about new parts coming out often.
High Performance Driver Education - or something like that

Basically you pay $200-$300 to drive on a racetrack (tracks such as Watkin's Glen, VIR, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta are common) with an instructor who will give you pointers and teach you how to drive your car faster.

Well worth the money. But if thats too much for one weekend to spend you can find an AutoX group to run with (Basically those guys you see driving around parking lots through a course made of cones) Also very fun if you let it be.

Most car clubs run both HPDEs and AutoX events (BMW CCA, PCA, NASA, just to name a few) They are very safe, super fun, and you learn a lot too.

Quote:
do you have a good brand or are they all similar and not really matter which one to choose from?
Good brand for what exactly?

:edit: im guessing you mean wheels. Its entirely up to you! Just about any 17" on tirerack will be fine for snow. Common good brands are ASA, Sport Edition, MMR, Sparco, Montegi, send a PM to Gill@TireRack.com, hes the moderator of the tire and wheel subforum here and works at TR, hell set you up!

Tires to choose from, Blizzacks, Dunlop D3s (I have these and love em, see them in action in my sig pick ) Pirelli 240 Sottozero (had these, great tire but they only last 5K miles) Continentals are also a popular choice

Just as an example.

I run OZ Ultraleggeras in the summer and Sparco Pistas in the winter. Both 17" I switch off when the weather gets cold, easy to do in the driveway

Winter

17x8 Sparco Pista with Dunlop WinterSport 3D 225/45 R17 front 245/40 R17 back

Summer

17x8 OZ Ultraleggera with Dunlop Star Spec 245/40 R17 all around

Last edited by BrokenVert; 01-10-2012 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
ok cool and a good brand for the sway bar?
      01-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #11
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
oh and I found a group of guys that do Auto-X along time ago when I was still driving my Fucus. met them at a don't speed in Arizona class I was sent to by the court. had a great Saturday, but that was a while ago. The HPDE sounds like it would be a lot more beneficial.
      01-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #12
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
ok cool and a good brand for the sway bar?

BMW M3 front sway - it fits our cars without modification and is an OEM part for BMWs

You can get it from Dan@UnitedBMW or Evan@TisherBMW theyre usually both the best price around for it but sometimes vary on shipping.

Quote:
oh and I found a group of guys that do Auto-X along time ago when I was still driving my Fucus. met them at a don't speed in Arizona class I was sent to by the court. had a great Saturday, but that was a while ago. The HPDE sounds like it would be a lot more beneficial.

Just check with your local BMWCCA, or PCA chapter for autox and HPDEs NASA's website for HPDEs as well

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #13
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
OK cool thanks a lot you guys have been really helpful.
      01-10-2012, 11:15 AM   #14
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK cool thanks a lot you guys have been really helpful.
no problem. If you want to ask any more questions about anything dont hesitate to post em here or PM me.

Im usually good to answer things within a day

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HPDE's I'd say are much more beneficial for learning car control and braking over AutoX...where in autox you do several runs of about a minute long that are spread out over a full day...total time maybe 15 minutes? in the HPDE you do single sessions of 20-30 minutes 3 to 4 times a day. There's more seat time in them. And you odn't always have to do 2 days, you can do a single day. Trust me though do the 2 as you'll be totally hooked!
      01-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focusedintntions View Post
HPDE's I'd say are much more beneficial for learning car control and braking over AutoX...where in autox you do several runs of about a minute long that are spread out over a full day...total time maybe 15 minutes? in the HPDE you do single sessions of 20-30 minutes 3 to 4 times a day. There's more seat time in them. And you odn't always have to do 2 days, you can do a single day. Trust me though do the 2 as you'll be totally hooked!
Ohh definitely. But I do enjoy an autox every now and again...its fun to get the tail out (and it happens, these cars poweroversteer so easily)

It helps in day to day driving, both do.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #17
Focusedintntions
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nothing puts a bigger grin on my face than doing about 90mph around turn 9 at summit main while going right with the wheel pointed left. Yeah i'm losing speed and it's not efficient, but damn its fun!
      01-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #18
Clovef
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Welcome. I am in Colorado so maybe I will see you around once you get back stateside. The local scca autox is the rmsolo. They have events at ppir in fountain which is right next to fort Carson. If you are stationed there it is basically next door. I am going to look into doing a weekend hpde this summer and doing some bmwcca autox as well. If you see a black 2011 135i with a coral red interior that is probably me.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #19
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Congrats on the car! I know you'll love it, and be sure to post pics once you get it!

As for advice on mods.. For the sway bar, the E93 M3 Front Sway Bar is the way to go!

HPF is a great company and they make a great intercooler, but as mentioned, I think their exhaust is overpriced. Almost any exhaust that doesn't do anything with the cats is going to give you similar performance, so you're mostly going to buy for sound and price (and maybe looks, too). Berk and Maddad both make great catback systems that are relatively cheap compared to the HPF system. Also, their intercooler requires cutting and trimming of the internal plastic shroud, so you won't be damaging the car on the outside, but if you care if some bits of plastic from inside are cut out, then you should go with one of the (few) cut-less options.

The tune is a good choice, I have a JB4, but between the big three options (JB, Procede, Cobb AP), they are all equally awesome.

And as for rims, I would get a set of nice summer wheels plus a set of cheapo 17" winter wheels with good snow tires. 16" and steelies won't fit the cars because the brakes are too big. All-season tires aren't optimized for either the warmth and rain of summer, nor the cold and snow of winter, so you just get mediocre performance for both times. Summer and winter tires are much better (and much grippier, because you'll find that traction is a bit of a problem in this car) in their respective seasons than all-seasons could ever be. VMR, BBS, and Breyton all make quality rims for our cars, as does Alufelgen. Some of their styles are very similar, so if you don't find something in the right size with one, you could always check the other companies..

The tire pressure monitors aren't so great; they will only display if a tire is low on air. They won't tell you actual PSI, so you have to keep a tire pressure gauge around. However, you CAN move them from one set of wheels to another. Some places recommend getting a "TPMS remount/rebuild kit" which is a cheap kit of the parts of the TPMS that can wear or become damaged during transplant.. but these places also tend to be the ones selling the "kits" and so far I've never really needed one, though I've always had BMW move my TPMS around to avoid warranty issues. If you don't keep the TPMS kit, your dashboard will go a little crazy with warning lights that never go away.

Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #20
predator19872
Frequent Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
ok I'll keep that in mind. I am stationed at Carson, so I'll be looking forward to the auto-X's and HPDE there.