BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

12-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #133
ennislaw
NCO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BSM 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsherri View Post
... Actually, this is the thread you're referring to. ...
LOL! Yeah, sometimes I'm not sure where I am. Anyway, JT knows I blame him for wanting a cp-e exhaust system.

pge
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #134
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ennislaw View Post
LOL! Yeah, sometimes I'm not sure where I am. Anyway, JT knows I blame him for wanting a cp-e exhaust system.

pge
I take great pride in being an enabler.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:31 AM   #135
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Exclamation UPDATE: Changing things up a bit...

So, I was recently contacted by cp-e™ about some changes they've made to the 135i catback system and they definitely sound pretty appealing...

As many of you that have read the original review know, I LOVE the sound of this exhaust. Currently, I'm running it in the most loud and exotic-sounding form available: fully catless (both downpipes and catback system), without resonators or any modifications whatsoever. It's the epitome of a free-flowing system for our cars, as the only restriction from the turbos all the way to the tips is the muffler (and a relatively small one, at that).

Well, during my conversation with Josh (the head honcho at cp-e™ that's spent A LOT of time dealing with me on the phone), he asked if I'd be willing to check out the different end of the spectrum. Apparently they've recently made some changes/additions to make their system even MORE appealing to a broader audience. Initially I was somewhat hesitant, as I really do like the sound of my current system... Mind you, it *is* a little loud and in a short range of the RPM band it can drone a bit; however, it's something that's never bothered me enough to rush right out and change the system. I've considered resonators a few times, but the negatives have just never come close to outweighing the big positive, which is: the amazing sound this thing produces at wide-open throttle!

After a little bit of 'convincing' and the realization that I use the throttle much too much like a light switch (being: ON or OFF), I figured it was probably in my best interest to tone it down a bit... Things have ended up in my favor while combating Johnny Law more times than I can count, so why not, right? Anyway, the plan is to send out a new axleback system with black chrome tips, as well as a new "stealth pipe" (that's supposed to change the sound/volume of the system slightly and add a 3rd hanger to the system, which has been a concern to some people), AND have resonators welded in to my midpipes... Needless to say, it's going to be a significant change from what I have now; however, I do have the option to switch back, if I so desire... So we'll see what happens!

Here are a few pics that I requested prior to committing to this deal - 2 things to note: 1) This is their test car, so it's not the exact exhaust I have coming (note the tips) and 2) Josh stated that anyone that would like to add the "stealth pipe" to their current cp-e™ system can do so, free of charge (you just need to pay for shipping both ways).

(Click for larger version(s))

Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 11:42 AM   #136
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
very much interested in the result!

im not looking for quiet. i like loud just not drone like many others, wonder if the addition of the stealth pipe will act as a noise cancellation chamber and keep the drone to minimum!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 01:35 PM   #137
JN2009
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i

I love My Cp-E exhaust too for the sound.If they work on new cat-back system I would like they move the tips out like 1" more.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #138
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 AW 135i

Good to know but shipping would be a PITA. When I picked up my exhaust I had to unpack it at Fedex and cram it in my car sideways. The box just wasn't going to fit.

This makes more sense than welding the midpipes together... you see this design on a lot of other exhausts.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #139
Yearofthe1
An ex-addict :-(
Rep
Drives: VFR1200F

I did end up having a third hanger installed by Piper Motorsports. No matter what I adjusted, I couldn't prevent the mid-pipe from tapping against that chassis brace on the harsh bumps. The third hanger did the trick; haven't had an issue since. I'll take pics if you would like to see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We search for certainty and call what we find destiny. Everything is possible, yet only one thing happens.
-Michael and Ellen Kaplan
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:26 PM   #140
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yearofthe1 View Post
I did end up having a third hanger installed by Piper Motorsports. No matter what I adjusted, I couldn't prevent the mid-pipe from tapping against that chassis brace on the harsh bumps. The third hanger did the trick; haven't had an issue since. I'll take pics if you would like to see.
I'd love to see what they came up with. If you have time, definitely shoot a pic or three.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #141
jibaholic101
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: women wild

did they happen to say when they would have the system in stock again?
      01-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #142
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jibaholic101 View Post
did they happen to say when they would have the system in stock again?
I'm not sure if it's been marked as "Out of Stock" because of these changes being developed or if they build them as orders come though, but it'd be worth calling to ask. I'm sure if you wanted one, they'd do what they could to accommodate...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2010, 09:25 PM   #143
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Exclamation UPDATE: Changed things up a bit... 'Stage I'

Just wanted to write an update to the "Changing things up a bit..." post above:

A little over a week or so ago I received the new system from cp-e. As-expected, it was just as gorgeous as the first one, but with some obvious changes. Ideally, I would have installed it immediately, but it's been 30 degrees or colder around here and had to build up the ambition to go out and work in the cold garage...

A few days later, it was a fair bit warmer, so I put on some warm clothes and did something that probably made my neighbors think I was nuts... I mopped the garage clean. Being that my wife and I were pulling in and out with snow & ice, dirt and road salt being tracked in and out, I figured I'd clean the floor before I got to work with the first half of the install.

Once that was finished, I decided to get the car in the air and yank the entire catback system off. It was a little bit of work getting the rubber hangers to let go after a few thousand miles, but nothing a little bit of Simple Green shot in to them couldn't cure. Once it was off, I proceeded to install my new, resonated midpipes, Y-pipe and the STOCK axleback system...

Yes, I said stock. And yes, it hurt my soul to do so, but I wanted to get the new axleback with "Stealth Pipe" coated similarly to my last system to make it even MORE stealthy. Here's a pic of the last one post-install:

Definitely a matter of opinion, but I personally like it a lot and wanted to do the same to the new one.

Now, I can't comment a WHOLE lot since I don't have before and after dyno graphs, but for those currently running only midpipes or thinking about running only midpipes with the stock axleback, I have 6 words for you: consider the full cp-e catback system!

I always hate being a downer when it comes to helping those choose a cost-effective way to mod their vehicles... And I know some will call "BS" here, but I TRULY felt a difference in power! I'd be willing to put money on the fact that my car LOST damn-near close to 8-12 WHP because of the stock axleback. Mind you, both before and after, I didn't have a tune installed on my car - so we're comparing the car on stock boost both ways!

Now before you naysayers jump in, know that I sold my old cp-e axleback to another seasoned driver and he too felt a difference. He's running stock downpipes, gutted secondary cats in his stock midpipes, a 'modified' stock y-pipe (less the resonator) and mated it up to the "non-stealth-piped" cp-e axleback. His only other mod is Dinan Stage 2 and he came back and said, "I know you're going to think I'm crazy, but it feels like my car's making more power." So, I think it's safe to say the cp-e axleback alone is able to open up a fair bit of restriction... And power!

As far as droning goes: There is none. Not a bit. The exhaust is a fair bit louder than a stock system, but keep in mind that I have non-catted downpipes, non-catted resonated midpipes and [apparently] a super restrictive stock axleback... So it's bound to flow a fair bit better than stock, which also makes it louder.

That said, I think it's safe to say that I have what's going to be the perfect performing and sounding exhaust for 90% of the 135i owners on this board. The new axleback is definitely going to bring things back to the fun & aggressive tone that I now miss; however, it won't be nearly as loud and any droning should be completely eliminated, which I'm convinced was caused mostly by the lack of bracing that the 3rd exhaust hanger gives.

Stay tuned for further details WITH the new axleback... It's only another 7-10 days out.

Last edited by jtsherri; 01-26-2010 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #144
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep

Any word on when you'll get the new axle back? I sent them an email tonight just to get some more info from them. I'm tempted to throw on my stock axle back just to see if the drone immediately goes away heh.

But yeah... I'd love to hear what the sound difference is with the stealth pipe. I have no problem with the volume of my exhaust... but if that annoying bit of drone can be eliminated I'll probably permanently look like this while driving.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #145
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
cool, cant wait. their website still says out of stock, hopefully that will change soon
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #146
IZAGLO
Mbira
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sedonna Red 09 135i SOLD

that puppy's got to be loud....i never heard a CP-E TBE that wasn't. Mine was double the volume of my stock exhaust on my Speed3....power wise....i have to go with what escobar929 is quoting...this shit does free up some HP, i am a believer....but will never get an exhaust that loud again...and changing the downpipes is a real pain in the groin if needed for inspection or for a CEL..like i got for a faulty cat...
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #147
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilator View Post
Any word on when you'll get the new axle back?
Should be a few more days. I got a call from the shop yesterday stating that the new black coating finally came in and that they'd be prepping it today. Trust me, I'm SUPER anxious to get this puppy installed - the car just isn't the same with a stock axleback (even with the non-catted downpipes & midpipes)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZAGLO View Post
that puppy's got to be loud....i never heard a CP-E TBE that wasn't. Mine was double the volume of my stock exhaust on my Speed3....power wise....i have to go with what escobar929 is quoting...this shit does free up some HP, i am a believer....but will never get an exhaust that loud again...and changing the downpipes is a real pain in the groin if needed for inspection or for a CEL..like i got for a faulty cat...
I used to like REALLY loud exhausts, regardless of having a 'tuned' sound... I guess this is on par with gaining respect for good booze in that you have to acquire a taste before the cost is justified! These days, I can definitely handle loud, but it needs to be a GOOD loud vs. "noise."

As for the downpipes, they're not a terrible swap with the right resources, but I hope it's not something I have to deal with often.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #148
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep

Were you able to pick yours up yet? Mine is on it's way to CP-E so I'll probably have it back next week sometime.

I can say that by removing the CP-E axle back and putting the OEM part back on the drone and vibration was immediately eliminated so I have high hopes that the modified axle back will be the same way. Obviously the CP-E midpipes aren't the problem and nothing was rubbing under the car.

Ideally once I get it back I'll regain some of that volume and exotic sound of the CP-E without that pesky drone and vibration. We shall see.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #149
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
jtsherri, have you gotten the new full system installed yet? I'm interested to know what you think about having the Resonator AND the stealth pipe installed.. I have the same setup as you. Catless DP, Catless midpipe, and no resonater. I hate the drone and I wouldn't mind it a little quieter. So if you think it sounds good with the resonater and stealth pipe, I will send my system back and have it all added to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 05:09 PM   #150
Mutilator
Private First Class
Rep

I got my axle back with the stealth pipe back last week and will probably be writing up a review shortly. Waiting for some warmer weather that's coming this weekend so I can drive around with my windows down and get a good idea for what it sounds like now without freezing my ass off.

So far it is quieter at times... but yet seems louder (deeper) at others. This could just be because I drove around on the stock axle back for almost 2 weeks and I'm not use to the CP-E again yet. The drone isn't gone completely but is much less noticeable and doesn't vibrate the whole car anymore. I will say when you let off the gas completely and you're just coasting in 6th gear (AT) the system is MUCH quieter if not damn near silent.

BTW I have the full cat-back w/resonators + stealth pipe. (Stock DPs)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #151
jtsherri
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 135i  [10.00]
Exclamation UPDATE: Changed things up a bit... 'Stage II'

Alright, well, I meant to have this posted quite a ways back (as some will be able to tell by the snow pictures)... But "life happens" and I got wrapped up with a few other things.

Regardless, I've got the new exhaust on and have had a couple of months to really get a feel for it. Overall, I'm ecstatic and am definitely glad I made the change. Previously, it sounded very, very good and I was satisfied with it; however, until the new one, I didn't realize just how loud it was! Note: I *was* running about as close to straight pipes as you can get, shy of replacing my old axleback with a Berk piece.

The old setup was: cp-e™ non-catted downpipes, cp-e™ non-catted & non-resonated midpipes and a cp-e™ axleback (which is a very high-flow muffler).

The new setup is: cp-e™ non-catted downpipes, cp-e™ resonated midpipes and a cp-e™ axleback with "Stealthpipe" (adds additional baffling, bracing and a 3rd exhaust hanger).

Needless to say, the change was drastic... In a good way! My driving habits consist of 90% city and roughly 10% highway, so the delay on getting this posted was probably a good thing, as I don't get on the expressway a whole lot. Also, please keep in mind that my car has the Steptronic transmission, so it's generally going to be a fair bit louder than a manual in most cruising scenarios.

Previously, this is what I experienced:

Cold Start-up: LOUD. Quite loud... Honestly, it didn't annoy me at all because it sounded so mean... But I also didn't have neighbors on either side of me then. I'm sure they would have complained, if I had. I have a video somewhere of the old start-up that I'll try to post. It was pretty insane.

Warm Start-up/Idle: Pretty loud and mean sounding. Deep, rumbly exhaust note.

Throttle tip-in (while in "Drive"): Large amounts of drone that tapered off within 1000-1500 RPM.
Throttle tip-in (while in "Sport" mode): Very minor drone - not annoying whatsoever.
Throttle tip-in (while in "Manual" mode): Little or no drone, which was very quickly replaced with a pleasant higher-pitched exhaust note.

Cruising (while in "Drive"): A lot of drone. Never really bothered me, as I rarely drove in "Drive." Still QUITE annoying when I did though...
Cruising (while in "Sport" mode): A bit of drone, but nothing too terrible. Generally occurred right in the "sweet spot" of cruising though (generally 55-80ish). Something to note is that the exhaust was pretty loud while cruising through traffic.
Cruising (while in "Manual" mode): Not much to speak of, but I'm generally one that will keep a car in a "sweet spot" RPM-wise vs. shifting to 5th or 6th if I'm in "Manual" mode - so drone was averted.

This is what I experienced NOW:

Cold Start-up: Loud, but only upon the initial firing of the motor. It let's out quite a roar, but quickly quiets down. About 30 seconds in, when the emissions pump is shut down, it becomes even more tolerable and has a nice rumble to it. Not LOUD, but not quiet either.

Warm Start-up/Idle: Pretty much the same as the cold-start, less the loud roar during firing and idles the same as the post-30 second mark.

Throttle tip-in (while in "Drive"): A slight hint of drone and then quickly fades out in to a deep exhaust note.
Throttle tip-in (while in "Sport" mode): A fairly deep note, but not what I'd consider "drone" anymore. Much more pleasant sounding than before!
Throttle tip-in (while in "Manual" mode): Zero drone - just the beginning to a very sweet exhaust note.

Cruising (while in "Drive"): Oddly, this is the ideal position for long cruises now (completely opposite of before). Previously, cruising was almost unbearable at certain RPMs while in "Drive" - either because of drone or general exhaust volume. Now, the car is pretty quiet and gets significantly better gas mileage, so this is now my "cruising gear."
Cruising (while in "Sport" mode): Very slight drone at certain RPM. I almost didn't note anything, but it can show up during acceleration at times, but generally not existent.
Cruising (while in "Manual" mode): As previously stated, I'm generally one that will keep a car in a "sweet spot" RPM-wise vs. shifting to 5th or 6th if I'm in "Manual" mode - so there's really no change here. Sounds great!

Also worth mentioning is that the sound of the exhaust hasn't changed much... It just has FAR less tendency to drone and is a few decibels quieter. Idle, acceleration and cruising all sound kind of the same from in and out of the car... Just without the annoying "quirks" now.

Final thoughts: I'm VERY glad cp-e™ decided to make these changes and offer me a chance to check them out. I probably wouldn't have changed anything, had the offer not been placed on the table, as I liked my exhaust and thought it sounded great... But in hindsight, I'm very glad the opportunity was presented, as I like it A LOT more now! Previously I recommended this exhaust to everyone both via other exhaust thread and PMs, but would push it even more now!

Here are some pics as it sits now - while I didn't have any issues with mine sitting level previously, I know some people had issues getting their system properly aligned. With the "Stealthpipe" in place, there's zero effort involved. It bolts right up and sits perfectly level with the exhaust tips protruding from the valance ever so slightly:

(Click for larger version(s))

Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #152
My135
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives:

I would have bought the CPE if they came out with the 3rd hanger sooner; since some CPE owners complained about the tilted tips without the 3rd hanger. I am glad they did it right finally.
7/08 135 Coupe, Crimson Red, 6 SP, Sport, Taupe Lette/Aluminum. Performance Mods: JB4 on Map 5, BMS DP Fix V3, Injen polished intake, AR Catless DP, Maddad resonated mid-pipes, aFe exhaust polished tips, ST Suspension Coil Over and Hotchkis front sway bar. Others: BMS OCC, BT Scanner, Mud Flap. Next Mods: AA Front Strut Brace.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #153
SpacE82
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M-Sport 135i

Garage List
2009 BMW 135i  [8.50]
I couldnt agree more jtsherri. I have the catless DPs, so mine is probably a little louder, but everything you said in your post is the same exact things I experienced, before and after adding the resonator and stealth pipe. I'm really happy I did because it sounds so much better now and its much more tolerable without the drone. It definitely roars on a cold start, but like you said, quickly quiets down.

For anyone getting or considering the exhaust, definitely get the resonator and stealth pipe. Its still loud with it, but a tad quieter, BUT the drone is pretty much eliminated.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #154
1013mm
aka 1013MM
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: pokingly flush

Garage List
2009 135i  [8.26]
any clips!!!>!?! I really want to hear this on a step!