BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

08-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
have you driven a 2-series?

i drove a 228 around the autocross and thought it was horrible....like a luxobarge.
drive a stock 135i
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #24
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: L'Orange

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
drive a stock 135i
i have. i owned a 135is before getting the 1M. the 2er waaaay more luxobarge than the 135 ever was....the steering, the size, the brakes.....everything feels generic on the 2er.

I concede i have limited time in the 2er behind the wheel...but nothing impressed me about the car. It felt more like a basic Audi or VW.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:08 PM   #25
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
Agreed but at least in most reviews for the f8x the e9x is compared to the new f8x.
thats true
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #26
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i have. i owned a 135is before getting the 1M. the 2er waaaay more luxobarge than the 135 ever was....the steering, the size, the brakes.....everything feels generic on the 2er.

I concede i have limited time in the 2er behind the wheel...but nothing impressed me about the car. It felt more like a basic Audi or VW.
everyone is entitled to their opinions but even comparing your limited experience with a 228i to 135is which you owned and currently owning a 1M, you are comparing the top of the e82 to the lower end of of 2er. I should hope a 135is would be a superior experience on the autoX than a 228i.

a 128i and a 135i in factory form in opinion need a ton of work. Run Flats, Oversteer, rubbery rear end combined with no LSD etc. etc. I honestly feel the m235i is a better out of the box car than the 135i ever was and I LOVE THE E82 platform and have zero intentions of buying a 2 series.

I do not think it is fair to discredit the 2 series as a poor car. I think it is a great car and it will absolutely serve as a solid introduction level bmw. My main point in my original post is the attitude people have toward new cars and how defensive people get over their current cars of the previous gen.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #27
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
everyone is entitled to their opinions but even comparing your limited experience with a 228i to 135is which you owned and currently owning a 1M, you are comparing the top of the e82 to the lower end of of 2er. I should hope a 135is would be a superior experience on the autoX than a 228i.

a 128i and a 135i in factory form in opinion need a ton of work. Run Flats, Oversteer, rubbery rear end combined with no LSD etc. etc. I honestly feel the m235i is a better out of the box car than the 135i ever was and I LOVE THE E82 platform and have zero intentions of buying a 2 series.

I do not think it is fair to discredit the 2 series as a poor car. I think it is a great car and it will absolutely serve as a solid introduction level bmw. My main point in my original post is the attitude people have toward new cars and how defensive people get over their current cars of the previous gen.
have you driven a 2-series? you really think the M235i feels better than a 135i?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #28
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
have you driven a 2-series?
i have driven one just on the street. nothing extensive. There we obvious things that felt different than the 2, as you noted steering being one but the 2er felt like a better package out of the box.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:29 PM   #29
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
i have driven one just on the street. nothing extensive. There we obvious things that felt different than the 2, as you noted steering being one but the 2er felt like a better package out of the box.
that's fine...but you can't tell others what to feel or dictate opinions.

if i thought it felt like a luxobarge...that's exactly how i felt. If you feel it's a better package out of the box, than so be it. That's the whole premise of what is known as an 'opinion'.

you're trying to tell us not to criticize the new car...but hey we can if that's how we feel, yo!
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #30
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
you can't tell others what to feel or dictate opinions.

if i thought it felt like a luxobarge...that's exactly how i felt. If you feel it's a better package out of the box, than so be it. That's the whole premise of what is known as an 'opinion'.

you're trying to tell us not to criticize the new car...but hey we can if that's how we feel, yo!
im not telling anyone what to think. your opinion is 100% valid and I never said you were wrong for it. you are welcome to state yours, as I am able to state mine. I dont see how my opinion or any of my posts are telling anyone what to think. I have only commented from my perspective, which is just that, MY perspective.

But quoting OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeineken View Post
or is it just me?

articles like this keep popping up.

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pb...NESS/140829978

not hating against the 2 series but these reviewers act as if the 1 never existed and the 2 is something entirely new... even comparing to the 2002 again... reusing that description that the 1 used...
His point, and my original point was not to compare the two cars or to invite criticism of the 2. He is asking if a positive review of the 2er and the lack of recognition to the 1er offends anyone. I do not think any review of the 2er should cost anything from the 1er. I think the 2er is a great car for what it is ( again not comparing to the 1er in my original post, only did so after your opened that discussion) and that we can respect new and previous models without feeling like the new models are insults to the previous as we so commonly see on m3post vs m4post
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #31
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:

His point, and my original point was not to compare the two cars or to invite criticism of the 2. He is asking if a positive review of the 2er and the lack of recognition to the 1er offends anyone. I do not think any review of the 2er should cost anything from the 1er. I think the 2er is a great car for what it is ( again not comparing to the 1er in my original post, only did so after your opened that discussion) and that we can respect new and previous models without feeling like the new models are insults to the previous as we so commonly see on m3post vs m4post
yes i realise that....however i feel the 2er is more a product of marketing and 'hype' than it is substance. I don't see a lot of substance that wasn't there before. The M235i is a recycled 135is....and the 228 is a 4 cylinder generic BMW in the most generic way possible.....my point is that the media have created the 'fuss'...IMO the car itself is not as interesting as a "NEW" idea as the media make it out to be.

do i think the M235i is still a 'good car'...maybe. but it's too heavy...too ugly....and has ruined one of the best parts of the 135, IMO...the heavy steering feel.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #32
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yes i realise that....however i feel the 2er is more a product of marketing and 'hype' than it is substance. I don't see a lot of substance. The M235i is a recycled 135is....and the 228 is a 4 cylinder generic BMW in the most generic way possible.....my point is that the media have created the 'fuss'...IMO the car itself is not as interesting as the media make it out to be.

do i think the M235i is still a 'good car'...maybe. but it's too heavy...too ugly....and has ruined the best part of the 135, IMO...the steering.
thats a fair point and I agree with your personal sentiments toward the 2er. I wont buy one for the same reasons you wont. But understanding that the cars are meant to sell to the masses, who do not share our same tastes, it is a great car for them. I honestly believe the design is meant to be more conservative than the e82. The E82 design is very polarizing. People love it or they hate it. The 2er will have a lot more mass appeal.

I agree with OP it is funny to see people write about the 2er almost as if they are discovering the e82 for the first time but it doesn't annoy me or make me enjoy my e82 any less.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #33
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
thats a fair point and I agree with your personal sentiments toward the 2er. I wont buy one for the same reasons you wont. But understanding that the cars are meant to sell to the masses, who do not share our same tastes, it is a great car for them. I honestly believe the design is meant to be more conservative than the e82. The E82 design is very polarizing. People love it or they hate it. The 2er will have a lot more mass appeal.

I agree with OP it is funny to see people write about the 2er almost as if they are discovering the e82 for the first time but it doesn't annoy me or make me enjoy my e82 any less.
agreed and was my original point to this topic. the e82 was just special when i was in the market. I wanted something small, fun, and raw. IF i was in the market today the m235i would be in my cross hairs as well as the 135i since it is a better car out of the box. But then again im not one for all the bells and whistles. My 135i is a zero option m sport with heated seats and satellite radio and i love it for being that simple and raw.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #34
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Why did they drop the DCT (which the 135i has) on the 235i and go with the slush box!?

Just found out about this. The 8-speed slush box, with torque converter, stop-start, etc. makes (some) sense on the 228i, but not the 235i. Quite a step backwards, IMO.

Even more happy with my recent purchase!

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:04 PM   #35
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
Why did they drop the DCT (which the 135i has) on the 235i and go with the slush box!?

Just found out about this. The 8-speed slush box, with torque converter, stop-start, etc. makes (some) sense on the 228i, but not the 235i. Quite a step backwards, IMO.

Even more happy with my recent purchase!
Cause it's much cheaper and helps them get better mpg. All about profit, blandness, volume, and mpg now.
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2014, 11:34 PM   #36
Ed P
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Z4 Sdrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregthegr8 View Post
Cause it's much cheaper and helps them get better mpg. All about profit, blandness, volume, and mpg now.
Wow... Just, wow. I suppose you're right, and like I said, it makes sense in the 4-banger 228i, but not the "semi-M" 235i. It's not even an option.

Strange how the 235i reviews don't mention this downgrade.

... gone but never forgotten ...
2013 135i M-Sport
Mineral Gray over Oyster Boston Leather
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #37
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed P View Post
Wow... Just, wow. I suppose you're right, and like I said, it makes sense in the 4-banger 228i, but not the "semi-M" 235i. It's not even an option.

Strange how the 235i reviews don't mention this downgrade.
They don't want you to think of it as a downgrade. That's why they don't talk about it.
      08-24-2014, 02:35 AM   #38
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
im not telling anyone what to think. your opinion is 100% valid and I never said you were wrong for it. you are welcome to state yours, as I am able to state mine. I dont see how my opinion or any of my posts are telling anyone what to think. I have only commented from my perspective, which is just that, MY perspective.

But quoting OP

It's just that many many reviewes act like that the E82 has never been built, calling it the car that goes back to BMW's roots. Which us BS, anyway, even with the E8x.

The M135/235 is not that bad. I think out of the box, stock the chassis is better. More R&D put into these cars, while BMW kind of didn't care for the 135i as much as they could. And that's a big shame.
      08-24-2014, 05:12 PM   #39
128Convertibleguy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 128 Covertible

Smile

Quote:

+1. I'll always be annoyed at how much effort and money it took to make my 128 suspension/wheels/tires work well. And I didn't go for ultimate grip, either.

The M235i is clearly a better car, stock against stock, than a standard 135i. The run flatted 228i was picked as second to an Audi A3 by Car and Driver. I think they're right.

You shouldn't have to mod the "ultimate driving machine" to make it one. That's the standard by which the M235i wins.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #40
IEDEI
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 128Convertibleguy View Post
+1. I'll always be annoyed at how much effort and money it took to make my 128 suspension/wheels/tires work well. And I didn't go for ultimate grip, either.

The M235i is clearly a better car, stock against stock, than a standard 135i. The run flatted 228i was picked as second to an Audi A3 by Car and Driver. I think they're right.

You shouldn't have to mod the "ultimate driving machine" to make it one. That's the standard by which the M235i wins.
to me, i can't agree with that logic. The M235i, in standard form, is equipped JUST like the 135is was (am using the 135is as it is the closest stock package). In fact one could argue the brakes in the 135 were better than the M235i (6 piston brembos vs. 4 pistons). NO LSD in either car in stock form......same power, with the 135is weighing less (150+ pounds less) Same engine (N55) with the same power (~320hp) and the same manual gearbox----BUT in terms of autoboxes; with an inferior 8 speed ZF as compared to the better (and more expensive to produce) DCT.

You guys are buying into the marketing machine more than the actual abilities of these cars. About the only thing the M235i had an advantage out of the box is that it can be equipped with PSS tires. That's all is see. The more 'modern' things in it like electric steering and adjustable suspension are shortcomings in many people's books.

There are several reviews i've read saying that the new car is NOT as raw as the old 135......for me that is a big issue seeing as one of the best features of the 1er, in my book, is its simplicity and rawness. It's raucous nature.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2014, 05:41 PM   #41
Yeineken
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i M Sport

Garage List
'11 135i  [8.20]
'16 Ford Hatchback  [0.00]
'15 X5  [10.00]
Quote:
to me, i can't agree with that logic. The M235i, in standard form, is equipped JUST like the 135is was (am using the 135is as it is the closest stock package). In fact one could argue the brakes in the 135 were better than the M235i (6 piston brembos vs. 4 pistons). NO LSD in either car in stock form......same power, with the 135is weighing less (150+ pounds less) Same engine (N55) with the same power (~320hp) and the same manual gearbox----BUT in terms of autoboxes; with an inferior 8 speed ZF as compared to the better (and more expensive to produce) DCT.

You guys are buying into the marketing machine more than the actual abilities of these cars. About the only thing the M235i had an advantage out of the box is that it can be equipped with PSS tires. That's all is see. The more 'modern' things in it like electric steering and adjustable suspension are shortcomings in many people's books.

There are several reviews i've read saying that the new car is NOT as raw as the old 135......for me that is a big issue seeing as one of the best features of the 1er, in my book, is its simplicity and rawness. It's raucous nature.
+1

lets not forget that you cant option the 2 series without the navigation system and fake interior engine sound...
Appreciate 0