06-14-2012, 10:32 PM   #23
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
Update

After break-in period of friction modifier the grinding was completely gone- great ! However there was a new ticking metallic meshing noise that manifested on hard right hand Turns.

The harder the turn (right) the more the ticking. Dealer has ordered a new "factory refurbished diff" for installation in my car.

Any thoughts on what the metallic ticking meshing at high speeds are? Are they harmful for the longer term ?

I would preferably to keep my diff if there is nothing wrong with it.
If the factory ordered you a new diff I think that pretty much explains the answer to your question. Ticking? I dont want to say that there are pieces of gear missing in your diff that may have broke off but idk
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:17 AM   #24
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

While I was at the dealer with my diff problem they had another 2-m3's in the service bay with the exact same problem being fitted with new diffs

What is happening with this component that so many are having problems with it?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #25
firechicken99
Major
Rep
Drives: Black '07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
While I was at the dealer with my diff problem they had another 2-m3's in the service bay with the exact same problem being fitted with new diffs

What is happening with this component that so many are having problems with it?
Did you take a bit to read through the entire OP? It will probably answer your question. Its lengthy but definitely a good read
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #26
rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken99 View Post
Did you take a bit to read through the entire OP? It will probably answer your question. Its lengthy but definitely a good read
You will have to help me with what you mean by "OP" ??

Yes I read this entire thread about the topic of noise/ grinding. Yes, my car had the grinding issue which was resolved by the friction modifier added to the car.

However, once the friction modifier was given time to lubricate the diff I started having a new noise which was metallic ticking/ clicking on hard right hand corners when power was applied which differs greatly from the slow parking manoeuvres previously heard.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #27
clived
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Evolved 1M

OP, in this context would mean "original post", most often though means "original poster" - i.e. the person who started the thread.