BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #1
pcockley
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335

Oil Cooler

I have been looking at one of the additional oil coolers but they seem extortionately expensive

I was wondering if anyone has had a custom oil cooler added to their car. I was thinking that the easiest way would be to add one in front of the radiator, yes I appreciate this will raise water temps, but if we were to run it in line after the stock oil cooler then the temps would be a bit lower to start with and there would be no cutting etc of the stock unit, brake ducts and the like.

For my mind all we need (just remember I think everything is simple) is

oil cooler core
mounting bracket/s
oil line

we could relocate the oil line coming out of the stock cooler into the additional cooler and the outlet from the additional cooler into the stock pump.

Like I said sounds simple but the AR/ER folk are after 7-8 hundred so I suspect I am missing something, or are they charging BMW tax?

Perhaps Pete/Advan might be interested in having a look
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
I believe the CP-E FMIC incorporates an oil cooler, similar to what you're suggesting. Interesting idea though. I like the ER one myself.

Don't really agree with the "BMW tax" comment however. If I was making widgets I know I'd want to be paid for the time and effort of R&D as well as the material to make it.

Besides, if you're driving a 335i you should probably be able to spring for an $800 oil cooler with no hassle
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #3
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

I'm assuming you track your car Paul? If so a oil cooler is a great idea but if it's just to keep oil temp down just use a different viscosity oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
pcockley
Banned
Rep

R
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Damn iPhone

Anyway the r
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Aaarrrgh last attempt

IMHO the r and d is negligible and the parts are less than 300, so I am not prepared to pay north of 800

I am planning on going to the track school at Wakefield in December, so I will see how the temps hold up and make a decision after that.

But I expect to book in to see Pete in the new year for a custom oil cooler
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #7
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcockley View Post
I have been looking at one of the additional oil coolers but they seem extortionately expensive

I was wondering if anyone has had a custom oil cooler added to their car. I was thinking that the easiest way would be to add one in front of the radiator, yes I appreciate this will raise water temps, but if we were to run it in line after the stock oil cooler then the temps would be a bit lower to start with and there would be no cutting etc of the stock unit, brake ducts and the like.

For my mind all we need (just remember I think everything is simple) is

oil cooler core
mounting bracket/s
oil line

we could relocate the oil line coming out of the stock cooler into the additional cooler and the outlet from the additional cooler into the stock pump.

Like I said sounds simple but the AR/ER folk are after 7-8 hundred so I suspect I am missing something, or are they charging BMW tax?

Perhaps Pete/Advan might be interested in having a look
Hey mate,

I am quite certain Pete would be able to fab up a custom oil cooler kit for you.

However there are a couple of things to note.

That being that the OE oil cooler is somewhat ineffecient, it is however located in the best position for optimally reducing oil temperatures at "speed".

As such I would be inclined to toss the stock unit and mount an upgraded "Setrab" core in the OE location.

Secondly the OE oil cooler thermostat also needs to be replaced.

It does not fully open to almost 115 degrees Celsius, where as the aftermarket thermostat I installed begins to open at 82 degrees Celsius and is fully open by approximately 93.

When tracking your car your goal should be to prevent the oil temp from rising too high, not just keeping it in check when it is already in excess of 120 degrees Celsius.

Cheers,

JD.

Last edited by JD75; 12-12-2011 at 04:09 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
That's interesting, I thought the OE thermostat opening at a lower temp thanks for pointing that out, JD.

Might be worthwhile changing this out before replacing the whole core to see what difference it makes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #9
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyv View Post
That's interesting, I thought the OE thermostat opening at a lower temp thanks for pointing that out, JD.

Might be worthwhile changing this out before replacing the whole core to see what difference it makes.
I was thinking just that, where do you get a new thermostat
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
gazz
///Mbassador
Australia
Rep
Drives: The horse I fell off

Slightly off topic but has anyone else tried Redline Water Wetter. I tried it in my 335i and the normal running temp went down by 15 degrees. I think that the correct method for this product is to flush out the system so that the wayter wetter is not mixing with other products and then fill with distilled water and water wetter. There have been mixed reviews of this product but it seems to work best with engines that run hot. This may be stating the obvious but the cooler running engines are already efficiently removing heat so the difference isn't as great as something like an N54 which runs quite hot. I'm not an expert on these things so check it out for yourselves.
Also - what about a more efficient intercooler? These are mounted out of the way of the existing radiator so you won't be affecting airflow to it.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #11
JD75
JDTuning
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i xDrive,G80 M3 xDrive

Quote:
I was thinking just that, where do you get a new thermostat
I do not recall the brand of the thermostat, that was supplied with the Stett Stage 2 oil cooler kit I am running.

However I am sure I have documentation on it somewhere at home.

I found two versions on a UK website, the 180 degree Fahrenheit unit and a 210 version.

I will dig up the info for you guys.

The cheap option would be to install a 180 (82 degree Celsius) thermostat and modify the OE thermostat housing so it is always open.

However you are still left with the OE oil cooler, which is tiny in comparison to the Setrab core I am running.

The thermostat mod will certainly give the OE oil cooler a head start, but eventually the inefficency of the stock cooler will see oil temperatures rise quickly if you continue to push the car.

The best setup would utilise the same core and thermostat I am running, in conjuction with an OE thermostat mod or bypass.

I will have a chat to Pete and see if he would be interested in coming up with a solution that includes the above, plus the necessary oil lines, fittings and mounting hardware.

However guys please bear in mind Pete is running a business, not a charity.

As such it cannot cost a dollar twenty five.

If he was to engineer and fab' up a kit, it will most certainly be of the highest quality and the fitment would be every bit OE like, with appearance befitting that of a BMW.

There is always a cheap way of doing something, but unfortunately it is rarely the best way.
Attached Images

Last edited by JD75; 11-12-2011 at 10:54 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #12
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
great idea, JD, I was wondering the same. (I chuckled at the buck twenty five comment too )

I looked into lines and decent fittings a while back and they're not cheap.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 12:50 AM   #13
pcockley
Banned
Rep

To be honest I am not overly keen to chop/cut the stock unit, but to supplement it.

ATM I like the idea of the 80deg thermostat and rerouting the output from the stock cooler to an additional unit behind the kidney grill and back to the pump. This way it should cool oil and be non invasive. All the mods I am doing must be reversible
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:10 AM   #14
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

If someone is going to do some R&D, I think we should look at the turbo cooler similar to the M5. However, our engine bay is tight enough as it is...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #15
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

If I was ever to upgrade my oil cooling it would be with either this http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/133 or something that Advan Performance fabricated for me.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #16
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlonde View Post
If I was ever to upgrade my oil cooling it would be with either this http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/133 or something that Advan Performance fabricated for me.
This looks very similar the the 1M oil cooler twin set up.. One on either side of the front intake.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 02:57 AM   #17
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Mmmm I agree this is IMHO the best setup, but for me I do not want to cut/hack anything. I want to be able to return the car to stock at some point which is why I am keen on the AR style unit but 800 is just crazy
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #18
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mmmm I agree this is IMHO the best setup, but for me I do not want to cut/hack anything. I want to be able to return the car to stock at some point which is why I am keen on the AR style unit but 800 is just crazy
What's your reason behind not making any modifications?

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:08 AM   #19
pcockley
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What's your reason behind not making any modifications?
Mods yes but they have to be bolt ons so I can take them off and return the car to stock as I plan on selling/trading the car for a new 4 series in a year or two and I think the market for the car will be better stock
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #20
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mods yes but they have to be bolt ons so I can take them off and return the car to stock as I plan on selling/trading the car for a new 4 series in a year or two and I think the market for the car will be better stock
Understand. I really don't think anyone would notice any modifications once you remove the parts and reinstall the OEM components.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #21
pcockley
Banned
Rep

The AR oil cooler would be fine but the er one hacks both brake ducts(which I have a problem with as given the choice of brake fade and hot oil I'd take hot oil) and the wheel arch panels, I think that would be noticed
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2011, 07:41 AM   #22
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I'm very keen for this kind of upgrade, especially if it was a well engineered local solution that did not effect my brake ducts and existing radiator & IC flow. I'm not keen on the "modify the OE thermostat housing so it is always open" suggestion though JD as this would only increase the long time we already have to endure for our oil temps to rise to a reasonable level.
I'm ready to purchase now if the product is right. Maybe we could look at a group buy if we all decide on a similar solution?