BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #441
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alik01 View Post
Haha, can't do it mate. Can't ask a man to put the bright orange love of his life in the hands of two other men to look up her skirt...!
Very funny comment indeed.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:48 PM   #442
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Mate, I have no affiliation or involvement with Advan, except for conversing with Justin on the forum and a few calls to Peter (Skycat).

That said, I can absolutely guarantee that these guys really know what they are doing and would have developed the best possible solution out there for our conditions. They are also extremely personable and Peter wasted a lot of his valuable time talking me through so much stuff - really appreciate it mate!

They will provide you a product and support that I really don't think anyone else can at the moment. I have read up on a few cooling solutions and nothing comes close to this. The workmanship speaks of itself in the pictures.

I was part of the group buy but failed to mention the 1M bit! Now Peter and Justin are designing a system for the 1M. Definitely willing to put my money where my mouth is on this one!

Do it!
Hey mate,

thank you for the kind words, it's very much appreciated and the cheque is in the mail.

Seriously though with Joe dropping his 1M off for a spring install next week and his mate who also has a 1M coming in to get work done too, we should have a much better idea shortly of what we can do for you, regarding an oil cooler kit that is 1M specific.

Cheers,

JD.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #443
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Hey mate,

thank you for the kind words, it's very much appreciated and the cheque is in the mail.

Seriously though with Joe dropping his 1M off for a spring install next week and his mate who also has a 1M coming in to get work done too, we should have a much better idea shortly of what we can do for you, regarding an oil cooler kit that is 1M specific.

Cheers,

JD.
I take cash only JD!

Should be interesting to see what it's like in there. I really like Pete's idea for it, so we'll see what comes through on the pictures!
      06-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #444
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Update

I came home to find a package waiting for me

Everything was packaged very well but unfortunately there is a bit of damage to the Setrab core. It's not present on the photos on the previous page so my guess is it happened during the test fit to Justin's car or it may have been dropped. Fortunately, it will not be visible when it's fitted up to the car but being the perfectionist that I am, it does bug me!

I have to admit, when Peter told me the fittings were changed out at the last minute I wasn't too thrilled about it. However, I had faith in Advan and from what I can see, these Hi Flow AeroFlow fittings look top-notch and very high quality. The custom laser cut bracket that the core mounts onto looks quite good too.

In regards to the split corrugated hose, I assume this is meant to protect the nylon braided hose. I measured it out and there is not enough hose to protect all of it. Should I attempt to cover as much as I can from the core to the thermostat?

Overall, I have to say it looks like a very nice product. I will reserve final judgement once it's hooked up and I've given it a good run on the track, but it does look like a very nice kit.

Justin/Peter - do you know when a DIY will become available? Also, I never received an electronic invoice and Peter said an invoice would come with the goods but it never came.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #445
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
I came home to find a package waiting for me

Everything was packaged very well but unfortunately there is a bit of damage to the Setrab core. It's not present on the photos on the previous page so my guess is it happened during the test fit to Justin's car or it may have been dropped. Fortunately, it will not be visible when it's fitted up to the car but being the perfectionist that I am, it does bug me!

I have to admit, when Peter told me the fittings were changed out at the last minute I wasn't too thrilled about it. However, I had faith in Advan and from what I can see, these Hi Flow AeroFlow fittings look top-notch and very high quality. The custom laser cut bracket that the core mounts onto looks quite good too.

In regards to the split corrugated hose, I assume this is meant to protect the nylon braided hose. I measured it out and there is not enough hose to protect all of it. Should I attempt to cover as much as I can from the core to the thermostat?

Overall, I have to say it looks like a very nice product. I will reserve final judgement once it's hooked up and I've given it a good run on the track, but it does look like a very nice kit.

Justin/Peter - do you know when a DIY will become available? Also, I never received an electronic invoice and Peter said an invoice would come with the goods but it never came.
There was NO damage to the oil cooler when i packed the kit
If there is a problem best to send it back for a refund.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 12:25 AM   #446
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
There was NO damage to the oil cooler when i packed the kit
If there is a problem best to send it back for a refund.
Hey Peter, it's all good mate. These things happen sometimes, just glad it's not visible. I want it fitted up to the car before the upcoming track day on Thursday. I'm quietly confident it's going to do the job just fine.

Also, any idea when DIY will become available? Also, sent you an email about tracking down an invoice as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #447
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I take cash only JD!

Should be interesting to see what it's like in there. I really like Pete's idea for it, so we'll see what comes through on the pictures!
Oh, in that case you are best to speak to my accountant, aka "The Dragon Lady", best of luck with that.

Yep,

we should have some good pics in a couple of weeks, most likely following the work on the 1M owned by Joe's mate.

Last edited by Justin@ADVAN Performance; 06-03-2012 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #448
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Peter, it's all good mate. These things happen sometimes, just glad it's not visible.
Hey Vinney,

I really do not know how the cooler could have been damaged, as the pictures of the assembled kit on the white table were taken after the test fitment on my car.

It was in perfect condition then as I looked at it myself, so I am somewhat confused as to how it has sustained such a heavy knock.

Was there any damage to the large box that the kit arrived in, that would indicate damage in transit to you?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:33 AM   #449
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Installing this right now. Slowly getting there
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #450
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@ADVAN Performance View Post
Oh, in that case you are best to speak to my accountant, aka "The Dragon Lady", best of luck with that.

Yep,

we should have some good pics in a couple of weeks, most likely following the work on the 1M owned by Joe's mate.
In that case - cheque or store credit is fine...

Sounds good, am in no desperate rush.
      06-04-2012, 01:45 AM   #451
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Installing this right now. Slowly getting there
Hurry up!
      06-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #452
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Hurry up!
He's faster than me...
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #453
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
He's faster than me...
You have a decent excuse...
      06-04-2012, 03:57 AM   #454
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hurry up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
He's faster than me...
I just finished up. Took me about 7 hours taking my time and cleaning bits and pieces of the car as I went along, and doing a decent clean up at the end. All looks good, it's a very clean setup. I've only idled the car and had a bit of an oil leak in a few places but some of the fittings weren't properly tight so hopefully that's all good now. I'll take the car for a run soon and check for leaks. Have a feeling it will be fine though. Btw, Peter was great, I kept pestering him with questions all day and he gave me plenty of time. Excellent service.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:58 AM   #455
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Took the car for a burn tonight. Cruising around town and the highway I get 90 degrees Celsius. If I boot it I get up to 95. Not sure if this is too low or not. I think I would have preferred 100 around town because it does seem a bit low, I just hope it's not detrimental.

Now for some reason I can't hit boost!! I know JB4 has a safety feature that only allows the car to make stock boost until it warms up to a certain oil temp. I checked, I have no boost leaks so I think it's got something to do with the new thermostat and the JB4. Sent Terry an email so wait and see what he says. Hopefully I can override that safety feature and make some power. I'll know how efficient the oil cooler is once I turn up the boost.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #456
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86
Took the car for a burn tonight. Cruising around town and the highway I get 90 degrees Celsius. If I boot it I get up to 95. Not sure if this is too low or not. I think I would have preferred 100 around town because it does seem a bit low, I just hope it's not detrimental.

Now for some reason I can't hit boost!! I know JB4 has a safety feature that only allows the car to make stock boost until it warms up to a certain oil temp. I checked, I have no boost leaks so I think it's got something to do with the new thermostat and the JB4. Sent Terry an email so wait and see what he says. Hopefully I can override that safety feature and make some power. I'll know how efficient the oil cooler is once I turn up the boost.
That's great Vinney. Glad you got it all installed. The JB4 has cold oil protection until only 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 70 degrees Celsius. You should be able to hit full boost at 90 degrees Celsius.
Just last week at the drags my car was running 18psi at around 95 degrees C.
Must be another issue there somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #457
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:

Hey Vinny
Check the hoses on the boost accumulators they can be knocked off without a lot off effort.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #458
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB4135 View Post
That's great Vinney. Glad you got it all installed. The JB4 has cold oil protection until only 160 degrees Fahrenheit or 70 degrees Celsius. You should be able to hit full boost at 90 degrees Celsius.
Just last week at the drags my car was running 18psi at around 95 degrees C.
Must be another issue there somewhere.
Thanks Edwin. You are right because Terry said "Is oil temp > 160 degrees? Needs to be for tuning to turn on!".

I always thought boost came on at 90 degrees celsius?

Quote:
Hey Vinny
Check the hoses on the boost accumulators they can be knocked off without a lot off effort.
Ok thanks Peter, I'll check that first thing before this morning. I hope that is the cause as I have no idea what else it could be. When you say the hoses on the boost accumulators can be knocked off, at which end of the hose are you referring to? Peak boost is consistently around 7.5psi so I assumed JB4 was using the cold/hot oil protection safety feature. Boost gauge reads boost between -18 and -22 at idle which seems normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #459
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Hey Vinny
I just checked the hoses and they seem to be okay.

The hoses on the top are definitely secure. I checked from underneath (it's a tight squeeze now especially with the external thermostat) and they seem to be secure. I noticed the hose closer to the engine was slightly damp and coated in oil. The hose further away seems dry.

I took a couple photos, it's hard to see from underneath though.

In the diagram, hoses 7, 5 and 6 are secure. Hose #5 is the damp one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #460
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Update

I checked all the connections again and the boost accumulator hoses as per Peter's instructions and all appears good. I took it for a drive, only the second time with the oil cooler. It seemed to hit boost just fine, not sure what was different. I think possibly the JB4 was calibrating or adapting to the new oil cooler and thermostat during the first run? I have no idea.

Car seems to pull really hard, even had a bit of fun with a Ducati bike on the way home, think I caught him by surprise Straight after that run I went into limp though! Turns out it's an ongoing Vanos Solenoid issue that I've been having.

Also, I got a warning light for oil being low, and then later at minimum on the idrive. Never had the oil that low before! iDrive said to fill up with 1 litre of oil immediately. I went home and filled up with 1.3 litres of engine oil. I think I was down on oil mainly because a decent amount of the oil was still inside the stock oil cooler lines that were removed, plus I had a couple leaks initially because I didn't tighten all of the fittings when I started the car. All good now!

Updated the JB software, change the cold/hot oil protection to run off water temp instead and the car feels like a beast. Not sure if it's in my head or not but car seems to be pulling a lot harder. Seem to be breaking traction really easy... on a roll.

Temps seem to sit around 90-100 degrees celsius. Only gets up to 100 if I do a few pulls but it drops back to 95 fairly quickly. I can literally see the oil gauge needle moving. I have not had a chance to beat on it hard though, but I can already see a huge difference.

So far the oil cooler is doing it's job, very well too. I'll keep updating this thread as I put more km's on the car and see how it holds up. So far so good.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:39 PM   #461
pavo335
Banned
Rep
Drives: 3.5 wheeler

Quote:
I checked all the connections again and the boost accumulator hoses as per Peter's instructions and all appears good. I took it for a drive, only the second time with the oil cooler. It seemed to hit boost just fine, not sure what was different. I think possibly the JB4 was calibrating or adapting to the new oil cooler and thermostat during the first run? I have no idea.

Car seems to pull really hard, even had a bit of fun with a Ducati bike on the way home, think I caught him by surprise Straight after that run I went into limp though! Turns out it's an ongoing Vanos Solenoid issue that I've been having.

Also, I got a warning light for oil being low, and then later at minimum on the idrive. Never had the oil that low before! iDrive said to fill up with 1 litre of oil immediately. I went home and filled up with 1.3 litres of engine oil. I think I was down on oil mainly because a decent amount of the oil was still inside the stock oil cooler lines that were removed, plus I had a couple leaks initially because I didn't tighten all of the fittings when I started the car. All good now!

Updated the JB software, change the cold/hot oil protection to run off water temp instead and the car feels like a beast. Not sure if it's in my head or not but car seems to be pulling a lot harder. Seem to be breaking traction really easy... on a roll.

Temps seem to sit around 90-100 degrees celsius. Only gets up to 100 if I do a few pulls but it drops back to 95 fairly quickly. I can literally see the oil gauge needle moving. I have not had a chance to beat on it hard though, but I can already see a huge difference.

So far the oil cooler is doing it's job, very well too. I'll keep updating this thread as I put more km's on the car and see how it holds up. So far so good.

could be the new jb4 firmware, i updated last week and my butt can feel a difference
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:42 PM   #462
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavo335 View Post
could be the new jb4 firmware, i updated last week and my butt can feel a difference
I'm hearing good things about this new firmware but I thought only map 5 had more power?
Appreciate 0