BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

02-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #133
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic317 View Post
Hey so I'm new to the 1series. I recently bought a 2011 BMW 135 with 35,000 miles from BMW Sterling. The car is lovely. I had my first issue with power and took it to BMW Fairfax Service Center and they stared it was a hpfp sensor? They were able to fix that. But then I started to get hesitation between gears with the DCT and took it back for that and regular maintenance the SA stated he couldn't find anything wrong with the shifting. Two questions I've been dying to mod it but afraid of losing the CPO warranty. So I want the Dinan S2 and the PPK for the exhaust notes lol. Talking to BMW they said I can't install the PPK because I don't have the SA40 option? Please help. Also can you tag or provide the information for the Serivice center that installed the Dinan S2 Fairfax is not a authorized dealer. Yet......
From the reading I've been doing, it looks like you have to have option code S840. And I think it involves having to have the increased top speed limit and the oil cooler.

For your info, BMW of Sterling is an authorized Dinan dealer/installer.

Also, as a data point, the PPK initially helped with the throttle hesitation at low speeds, but eventually the problem came back worse than it had been before the PPK. At its worst, my car was lurching forward when I had my foot on the brake slowing to a stop. I had the firmware update issued by BMW for fluctuating engine RPMs related to the DCT which helped but didn't eliminate the problem entirely. While I understand why people want to have the exhaust qualities of the PPK, the smoothness of throttle application is more important to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 05:27 PM   #134
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Pretty sure they were just poking some fun here.

Any updates from anyone who got it installed?
So far so good for me. Haven't had to mess with the Sport button and transmission settings in thick rush hour traffic yet. Car is so much more driveable particular at the lower RPM ranges. And I'll find out after a few tank full of gas but so far it looks like I'm picking up better fuel economy with just regular driving.
Appreciate 1
Dthltm77.00
      02-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #135
velociti
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsocold View Post
you must remember that the structure grammer and propper use of the english language for your wisdom bla bla bla. the ending of this thread is now about you instructing english and me being kewl when i was jus tryna help but i got called out because of my 6th grade level reading&writing skills you won bro

ps im kewl!
All good, bud. Just giving you some grief.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 06:08 PM   #136
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
So far so good for me. Haven't had to mess with the Sport button and transmission settings in thick rush hour traffic yet. Car is so much more driveable particular at the lower RPM ranges. And I'll find out after a few tank full of gas but so far it looks like I'm picking up better fuel economy with just regular driving.
Glad you're enjoying it and it's helping so far. Plus, it's good to have a few more of us with Dinan on board.
      02-06-2017, 06:23 PM   #137
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
From the reading I've been doing, it looks like you have to have option code S840. And I think it involves having to have the increased top speed limit and the oil cooler.

For your info, BMW of Sterling is an authorized Dinan dealer/installer.

Also, as a data point, the PPK initially helped with the throttle hesitation at low speeds, but eventually the problem came back worse than it had been before the PPK. At its worst, my car was lurching forward when I had my foot on the brake slowing to a stop. I had the firmware update issued by BMW for fluctuating engine RPMs related to the DCT which helped but didn't eliminate the problem entirely. While I understand why people want to have the exhaust qualities of the PPK, the smoothness of throttle application is more important to me.
According the Dinan and Fairfax Service Center website, they are an authorized Dinan dealer. In fact when I had questions about the S3 tune, they called Dinan directly and knew people there. So not sure how they are not a Dinan dealer. But yes, BMW Sterling is also a Dinan dealer if you feel more comfortable.

I thought the S2 could be installed onto any n55 135i.....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 06:24 PM   #138
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Oh and drove from D.C. To VB and back and averaged 27.2mpg calculated over two tanks. Computer said I was getting 27.5mpg. So pretty close.

Tune is like stock, only better and more powerful. No regrets so far.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #139
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
According the Dinan and Fairfax Service Center website, they are an authorized Dinan dealer. In fact when I had questions about the S3 tune, they called Dinan directly and knew people there. So not sure how they are not a Dinan dealer. But yes, BMW Sterling is also a Dinan dealer if you feel more comfortable.

I thought the S2 could be installed onto any n55 135i.....
It appears that way on Dinan's website as it said the S2 can be installed in a bone stock 135i.

But my response about the S840 option code is related to the PPK if you choose to buy it from the dealer. They will ask for your VIN and check to see you have the required components before they will sell you the PPK. I had to go through the check when I got my PPK Stage 2 kit from a BMW dealer. Now, I don't know if the programming for the PPK actually checks something in the DME to ensure you have the appropriate factory components before it will work. I suspect not as I don't think the vendor on this site doing the remote PPK installs on certain model year cars is checking for that option code on your vehicle. But all that is just speculation on my part.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #140
Chaotic317
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i DCT

Quote:
It appears that way on Dinan's website as it said the S2 can be installed in a bone stock 135i.

But my response about the S840 option code is related to the PPK if you choose to buy it from the dealer. They will ask for your VIN and check to see you have the required components before they will sell you the PPK. I had to go through the check when I got my PPK Stage 2 kit from a BMW dealer. Now, I don't know if the programming for the PPK actually checks something in the DME to ensure you have the appropriate factory components before it will work. I suspect not as I don't think the vendor on this site doing the remote PPK installs on certain model year cars is checking for that option code on your vehicle. But all that is just speculation on my part.

My man. Hey where are you and MGM located? I'd love to see your cars with the tune. It's funny as I live by Fairfax Government center and only saw 1 black 135is which look bone stock when I bought the car. Since I had the loaner for the past week I've seen 3-4 135's one had a half cage it seemed heading to Arlington from 495 66 exit ramp. But yea I've been waiting to do the PPK option before I've learned about his thread. But feel that it's not worth it I guess. Also MGM if you read this please let me know what Fairfax Service center you are speaking of. At least the address. My SA stated they are in works with being Dinan to become a dealer, but currently someone down the street form them can do it?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 09:11 PM   #141
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
They are practically across the street from Fairfax BMW. Simply google fairfax service center and all your questions will be answered.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 10:51 PM   #142
1DrivingEmbalmer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i | DCT | Dinan S2

I finally got my Dinan Tune to go along with my Free Flow exhaust and I find it really cool however I'm lacking the cool sounds and they are telling me the PPK tune cannot be done with the Dinan tune. I guess theres nothing I can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I added the Dinan tune after I already had PPK and still retained all of my PPK sounds. I was worried I'd lose them.

Last edited by 1DrivingEmbalmer; 12-05-2018 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2017, 11:01 PM   #143
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1DrivingEmbalmer View Post
I finally got my Dinan Tune to go alone with my Free Flow exhaust and I find it really cool however I'm lacking the cool sounds and they are telling me the PPK tune cannot be done with the Dinan tune. I guess theres nothing I can do.
Just have the PPK flashed and then reflash your Dinan tune. It worked for me and some other members who have posted in this thread.
      02-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #144
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Quote:

Yes the dinan tune was installed on my car without any supporting dinan mods. also my car doesn't have S840 either.
Appreciate 1
zx10guy5149.50
      02-08-2017, 03:52 PM   #145
Chaotic317
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135i DCT

Getting the Dinan S2 done right now at Fairfax Service center. Took it to BMW Fairfax and had the car checked for smoking. They supposedly replaced the oil pan gasket and oil Filter housing. Without my permission..I asked about the PPK tune. They stated would cost $1895. Even though the tune is only $600. So I called Fairfax Service center same day installation of the S2 being done now! These guys are awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:18 PM   #146
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

That's insane. I paid under that amount for labor at BMW of Rockville having them do both the PPK programming and installing of the Stage 2 kit. They did come back at a higher labor charge and I negotiated them down.

As an update, went through a full tank of gas with the S2 tune. With the stupid rush hour traffic around here and the mix of highway/city driving, I saw an increase of MPG from around 21 to 22 MPG to 24. I'll see if this holds up with the next few tank fulls.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #147
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:

As an update, went through a full tank of gas with the S2 tune. With the stupid rush hour traffic around here and the mix of highway/city driving, I saw an increase of MPG from around 21 to 22 MPG to 24. I'll see if this holds up with the next few tank fulls.
Holy hell. If it improves the drive-ability any, adds power, and increases fuel economy its a fucking no brainer. Please keep us posted. I had honestly talked myself out of getting it because I figured it would drink gas, and since this is my daily driver that isn't a good trait. Maybe I will wait until closer to the end of Feb to see what other people find.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:49 PM   #148
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthltm View Post
Holy hell. If it improves the drive-ability any, adds power, and increases fuel economy its a fucking no brainer. Please keep us posted. I had honestly talked myself out of getting it because I figured it would drink gas, and since this is my daily driver that isn't a good trait. Maybe I will wait until closer to the end of Feb to see what other people find.
Certainly will. What I've noticed is because the throttle response is so good and linear, I don't have to apply more throttle to get the car moving over what I'm doing now. I've noticed my throttle application is much less to achieve the same level of acceleration and also find myself not having to dig into the RPM range as much.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #149
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaotic317 View Post
Getting the Dinan S2 done right now at Fairfax Service center. Took it to BMW Fairfax and had the car checked for smoking. They supposedly replaced the oil pan gasket and oil Filter housing. Without my permission..I asked about the PPK tune. They stated would cost $1895. Even though the tune is only $600. So I called Fairfax Service center same day installation of the S2 being done now! These guys are awesome.
Yep, no fuss no muss. Didn't try to upsell etc. I will probably try them out for service after the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 07:31 PM   #150
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dthltm View Post
I'm not seeing a difference for better or worse.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:07 PM   #151
Dthltm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i / Deep Sea Blue on Taupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
I'm not seeing a difference for better or worse.
That's a win in my book
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:10 PM   #152
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I agree because everything else is better and doesn't hurt fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 08:43 PM   #153
tock172
Beachtown Bill Collector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Garage List
2012 BMW 135i  [0.00]
1999 Lexus LS400  [0.00]
1985 BMW 325e  [0.00]
That's why I chose Dinan. It's easy to turn your N54/N55 into a gas guzzler with bolt on mods and some of the cheaper tunes out there. I think the fuel economy remaining the same is just another example of Dinan's tagline, "Performance without sacrifice."

2012 BMW 135i Space Grey Metallic M-Sport DCT Dinan S2
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 09:35 PM   #154
r1eater
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C7 Z51

will this go over the ppk tune or will I lose the ppk?
Appreciate 0