BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #155
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSH17Z View Post
I guess the real answer will only be known when someone who has done the diy install takes it in an requests the recode to be done and listens for any noticeable change afterwards.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I've yet to come across anyone that has done so.

I agree that it's totally weird that one kit would require recoding while the other doesn't, when the only thing that appears to have changed is the wiring harness. And the fact that the amp switch is set differently (do you have yours set to "2" rather than "1" btw?).

I'd like to believe that the recoding stops the signal processing that the base stereo head unit is doing, but that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #156
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Quote:
I think apparently is the key word there. I can assure you that a recode isn't required. I installed mine a while back and it sounded fine without any dealer intervention. I've since had the car back to the dealer a few times including an unrelated issue which involved completely updating the software in the car direct from Germany. There was no difference in the sound afterwards.

Glad to hear you ordered the kit from Europe and at a really good price too. Seeing as you have already mentioned that you have extensive experience in car audio installs I presume you'll be going the diy route? I did post details of the simple instructions I used in an earlier post but here it is again if you missed it:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/27554788/B...ation-Feb-2010

Yup. Planning to do the DIY. Got your instructions the other day and it looks extremely simple... A little time consuming but that's only because of the number of panels to remove...

Only thing I can think of with the recoding is that perhaps it adjusts the front/rear soundstage to take into account the fact that the rears will still not be amped.

The other possibility is that it adjusts the max volume down for "safety" reasons (something I can see BMW doing) - this would be a good reason NOT to get the recode done...

- Harlequin
      03-19-2011, 11:48 PM   #157
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
I agree that it's totally weird that one kit would require recoding while the other doesn't, when the only thing that appears to have changed is the wiring harness.
Correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't the iDrive software changed substantially? My memory of the older software was drastically more basic... Perhaps the new iDrive (and accompanying audio config) can take better advantage of the amp/splits if it know the system has been installed...

Just a thought...

- Harlequin
      03-20-2011, 02:07 AM   #158
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I don't know much about iDrive as it's not optioned on my car, but I think that there was an "old" iDrive that was equipped in early 1ers and replaced by a newer system from 2009 or 2010. In any case, I'm not familiar with how much audio configuration is possible by the user under either system.

What I've heard is that, in cars with the ampless base stereo system, the head unit amplifies the signal and also processes or equalizes it in an attempt to improve the sound (and perhaps compensate for the lack of tweeters). Forgive me for not being able to offer a more technical explanation, btw. Anyway, according to some, the recoding sets the head unit to "Hi Fi mode" (for lack of a better term) which sends out an unmolested signal to the amp. This is what I'd like to believe, but I keep coming back to why the older kit wouldn't require coding...?

Unfortunately I don't think a definitive answer will be forthcoming anytime soon, as most people seem to be just speculating one way or the other. Even if there were a BMW tech on these boards who had done the install themselves, at best they could tell us whether or not they actually performed the recoding or not - they probably wouldn't know what exactly the recoding was doing since they likely just plug the car into a computer and let it do what it needs to.

Oh well. I'm having mine done at the dealer anyway (tomorrow, finally!) so I will just trust that it has been done correctly I suppose. Maybe my service invoice will provide some clues to what has been done, but I'm not really counting on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #159
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Unfortunately I don't think a definitive answer will be forthcoming anytime soon, as most people seem to be just speculating one way or the other.

Try a search on audio upgrades. "Technics" and "VP_something(?)" really know the bmw audio systems. I think they also use "Patrys" coding service - via the web. The three of them make a great expert audio/coding team.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #160
Bimmer_Freak
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

Slightly OT but where are the other 2 speakers in a 135i with base stereo system? I can only see two up front in the doors and two on the rear parcel shelf?

Should have 6 though?
      03-20-2011, 06:27 PM   #161
tyorll
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Freak View Post
Slightly OT but where are the other 2 speakers in a 135i with base stereo system? I can only see two up front in the doors and two on the rear parcel shelf?

Should have 6 though?
Two 6.5 inch woofers under the seats (ie: in the floor of the car beneath the seats in a woofer housing - not IN the seats).
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #162
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 640d Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
do you have yours set to "2" rather than "1" btw?
Yep, switch is set on position "2". Seemed to be the consensus after reading threads on here and other forums before I installed it.
      03-22-2011, 02:50 AM   #163
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, I can confirm that there definitely is reprogramming invovled with the new kit, even if I can't say excatly what it entails. I dropped my car off with the dealer yesterday at 9:30 in the morning, and when I called back at 5:00 pm they said they had finished fitting the HiFi but that the car was still hooked up to the compueter for programming and had several hours left to go. They kept it overnight! I really can't fathom how this could take so long...they had better not be charging hourly labor for this!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 02:53 AM   #164
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yep, switch is set on position "2". Seemed to be the consensus after reading threads on here and other forums before I installed it.
Instructions for the kit specify to use switch position 1 for all models (this is another change from the old kit) but perhaps 2 is better if you haven't had the coding redone.

Do you notice that your music is slightly too bright? Or does it sound well reproduced to you?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #165
QSH17Z
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: F06 640d Gran Coupe

Yeah I think I tossed up to have it set on 1 or 2 but went with 2 as others had done that successfully. I'm curious as to what head unit is standard for your market? Here the standard is Professional, not business so perhaps that has some bearing on the coding? Regardless I feel mine sounds fantastic for what it is. I have obviously tweaked the basic treble / bass though I struggle though to understand why anyones car would need so long hooked up just to recode for a stereo upgrade. That's time on a dealers system I would've thought would be charged out considerably. As in if it spent 6 hours on there then they would seek to charge that time rather than just 2 hours charge for 6 hours on it for example. Just doesn't make sense when it's only an amp and speakers...
      03-22-2011, 03:30 PM   #166
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah I think I tossed up to have it set on 1 or 2 but went with 2 as others had done that successfully. I'm curious as to what head unit is standard for your market? Here the standard is Professional, not business so perhaps that has some bearing on the coding? Regardless I feel mine sounds fantastic for what it is. I have obviously tweaked the basic treble / bass though I struggle though to understand why anyones car would need so long hooked up just to recode for a stereo upgrade. That's time on a dealers system I would've thought would be charged out considerably. As in if it spent 6 hours on there then they would seek to charge that time rather than just 2 hours charge for 6 hours on it for example. Just doesn't make sense when it's only an amp and speakers...
I think the issue was that, this being Spain, the techs got a late start of it (and then took a siesta) and the job just ran too late to be completed the same day. In the end they only charged me for 3 hours of labor, which is less than the 4 hours they originally quoted me. This included installation and programming.

System sounds great. As far as the programming goes, they provided me with a print out of the "final report" from the programming station - basically a few pages of technical gibberish that would have been difficult to decipher in English, much less Spanish. But the point is, I think it's legit. If you're happy with the way your system sounds, then that's all that matters - and I have no way of knowing if the improvement in sound (if any) is worth a trip to the dealer for programming. But I can say that they are in fact doing something, whatever that may be (and if you do ever decide to get the coding done, make sure you change your amp switch to position 1 instead of 2, by the way).

Oh, also, I have a US-spec car, so Professional HU is standard. Some of the Euro models here have Business HU standard, but it doesn't matter - according to the new kit, vehicles with both headunits must be coded. The old kit I think they were coding cars with Business HUs but not Professional HUs. Anyway, I don't mean to sound like a broken record about this whole coding bit - all that matters is we're not living with that awful base Stereo system anymore!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 07:57 PM   #167
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E8

Just got quoted $880 for parts only from BMW Melbourne, awaiting installation price. I'm gonna try and get cozza in and see if we can do a better deal...
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2011, 08:49 PM   #168
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Still waiting for my parts from Scmeidmann.com - guessing it will take about 3 weeks...

In the meantime I've picked up a set of Alpine SPS400s for the rear parcel shelf

http://northfield.com.au/products?gr...pergroup_id=15

I know that the rears don't really need to be anything special but I couldn't leave those dodgy dual cone things in there...

- Harlequin
      03-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #169
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i (March delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liub View Post
Just got quoted $880 for parts only from BMW Melbourne, awaiting installation price. I'm gonna try and get cozza in and see if we can do a better deal...
Check your PM...
      03-24-2011, 01:30 AM   #170
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Just spotted this on the BMW Car Club Victoria forum:

http://www.bmwccv.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=867
      03-24-2011, 05:43 PM   #171
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Bugger it. I just purchased the Alpine Hi-Fi upgrade from www.bmminiparts.com. It was under $400, so I also bought the carbon fibre interior trim kit. Whole lot came to $1450.

Considering BMW Australia charge close to $3,000 for the trim and $1500 for the hifi, I got a bargain!
      03-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #172
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

Great deal cozza - where are you planning to take it to get it installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:24 PM   #173
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liub View Post
Great deal cozza - where are you planning to take it to get it installed?
No idea, will worry about that when it turns up. Anyone in Melbourne got a recommendation?
      03-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #174
Liub
Captain
Australia
Rep

Phatt Audio Concepts gets all the rave, but they're expensive. I was gonna go through them for my aftermarket audio but it turned quite pricey quite fast...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:43 PM   #175
cozza
///Mthusiast
Australia
Rep

My carbon fibre trim and Alpine HiFi has arrived! Can't wait to install!
      04-04-2011, 03:49 AM   #176
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Got mine installed today... All I can say is:

DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!! DO IT!!!

It sounds FANTASTIC!

- Harlequin