BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #1
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Boss 302

Intercooler installed by UMS Tuning pics

Today I had my Code 3 intercooler installed by UMS Tuning in Mesa, AZ.

These guys do awsome work, and don't cut any corners.

Below are some install pics and some bonus pics. There's a pic of what happens when a 500hp RX-7 blows its intercooler. Also a good pic of a 600hp Supra, simply insane power!!!

I honestly don't know how the code 3 intercooler can be installed without removing the front nose. The cutting required is to great, and to dangerous with the nose piece on.

Overall the upgrade is well worth it.

--
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
Schn3ll
Captain
Rep
Drives: '24 Carrera T

Garage List
2009 135  [0.00]
any pics of the final installed intercooler? Did you keep the plastic mesh on the front, or you showing it off? And how long did the shop take to do the install?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
red_stapler
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i- Montego Blue/Lemon

So can you tell a difference with the FMIC? Is it comparible to chipping your car or putting DPs on?

My car is already chipped and has DPs. Both mods were very noticable, but I am just not sure if the FMIC will do that much...help a brotha out and let me know what its like- thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
BMW warning triangle is a mod? hehe...seriouisly though i want a peep at ur ride..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_stapler View Post
So can you tell a difference with the FMIC? Is it comparible to chipping your car or putting DPs on?

My car is already chipped and has DPs. Both mods were very noticable, but I am just not sure if the FMIC will do that much...help a brotha out and let me know what its like- thanks
A FMIC won't increase power; it will just reduce turbo duty cycle and heat soak during successive runs. Only if you've maxed out your turbo (read: 19+ PSI in the N54) will you see any benefit. It should be one the the last mods performed on a street car, one of the first for a heavy autocross/track car.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #6
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Z View Post
A FMIC won't increase power; it will just reduce turbo duty cycle and heat soak during successive runs. Only if you've maxed out your turbo (read: 19+ PSI in the N54) will you see any benefit. It should be one the the last mods performed on a street car, one of the first for a heavy autocross/track car.
Won't increase power?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_stapler View Post

Here's an update, can I feel a power difference with the new intercooler....YES. Does it make a difference like adding a tune, then DPs..... YES. I'll put it this way... I'm limited to 91 octane where I live. Usually I will add a few gallons of 100 octane to bump my octane up to 94ish. Right now with straight 91, the car is performing as if I had higher octane fuel.

Cruising at 80mph with the new intercooler when I get on the gas, you can feel more power from the car, its low end power is also much more responsive and the throttle response feels crisper.

Overall, I would rank this as a very good upgrade to a tuned car.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
any pics of the final installed intercooler? Did you keep the plastic mesh on the front, or you showing it off? And how long did the shop take to do the install?

Install labor charge.. 3 hours
--
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #8
Evolved
Bad Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL135I View Post
Won't increase power?

Here's an update, can I feel a power difference with the new intercooler....YES. Does it make a difference like adding a tune, then DPs..... YES. I'll put it this way... I'm limited to 91 octane where I live. Usually I will add a few gallons of 100 octane to bump my octane up to 94ish. Right now with straight 91, the car is performing as if I had higher octane fuel.

Cruising at 80mph with the new intercooler when I get on the gas, you can feel more power from the car, its low end power is also much more responsive and the throttle response feels crisper.

Overall, I would rank this as a very good upgrade to a tuned car.
Are you sure it not like a placebo effect? What psi are you seeing?

If you really are seeing gains then the stock intercooler must be garbage. Typically you don't see gains from intercoolers and definitely nothing like a reflash.

Did you do a "before" dyno?

Car looks good.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolved View Post
Are you sure it not like a placebo effect? What psi are you seeing?

If you really are seeing gains then the stock intercooler must be garbage. Typically you don't see gains from intercoolers and definitely nothing like a reflash.

Did you do a "before" dyno?

Car looks good.
+1. When whomever was doing their dyno runs with the Code3 FMIC, they recorded ZERO horsepower gain with the FMIC installed, but as much as 2 PSI less boost necessary to make the same power. A FMIC won't increase power; it will only allow you to make more power from your turbos if you're reaching the upper limits of what your turbo is capable of pushing.

If your tune is automatically adapting for the FMIC and increasing the boost to take advantage of the higher density of air then yes, it will make more power. But the difference is your TUNE is making the power, not just recovering choked power by freeing up resistance like an intake/exhaust.

From a mathematical standpoint:
Assume with the stock intercooler you're losing 4 psi by increasing the density of the air (cool = high density = lower pressure; hot = low density = high pressure). So with the stock intercooler the turbo has to spool up to a given RPM to pressurize the intercooler inlet to (for example) 14 psi in order to produce the proper intake manifold pressure and consequently air fuel ratio.

With the upgraded intercooler, you're getting more effective cooling by increasing the AREA the air mass flows through so the air density exiting the intercooler is higher than with the OEM intercooler. The higher density air enters the intake manifold and flows into the cylinder and combustion occures. Because of the higher density air with the upgraded intercooler, the air fuel mixure will be leaner than it was before though the cooler charge will help prevent detonation. This is where your TUNE can take advantage to do two things; it can increase the injected fuel per stroke to take advantage of the extra air resulting in more power. Alternatively, it can also reduce the turbo duty since the turbo no longer has to work as hard to produce any given density of air.

All this ignores the myriad of intercooler design considerations that Corky Bell discusses in his book, "Maximum Boost" which is the definitive designing, testing, and installing turbo sytems smart-guide. If you own a turbocharged car, you should own a copy.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 01:23 PM   #10
Juicer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
When whomever was doing their dyno runs with the Code3 FMIC, they recorded ZERO horsepower gain with the FMIC installed, but as much as 2 PSI less boost necessary to make the same power.
Not dissagreeing with you but whose dyno runs are you talking about? I remember this being the case with the VK FMIC where the power was same using less boost with a procede tune. All of the Code3 before and after dyno's I've seen (Like Terry's) have shown significant HP gains. Most of these were done with the JB3 tune which is supposed to automatically detect the better FMIC and adapt. I've yet to see an FMIC not produce power with the JB3.

I just installed a code3 and while I have no dyno to prove it, it feels like more of a power gain than DPs. I think the JB3 is adjusting and upping boost slightly. Even besides that the throttle response feels much stronger and power is smoother and more immediate. This FMIC is really awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2009, 01:28 PM   #11
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
looks good, looks a lot more aggressive with the new fmic
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2009, 12:05 AM   #12
JohnL135I
Donkey Kong King
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicer View Post
Not dissagreeing with you but whose dyno runs are you talking about? I remember this being the case with the VK FMIC where the power was same using less boost with a procede tune. All of the Code3 before and after dyno's I've seen (Like Terry's) have shown significant HP gains. Most of these were done with the JB3 tune which is supposed to automatically detect the better FMIC and adapt. I've yet to see an FMIC not produce power with the JB3.

I just installed a code3 and while I have no dyno to prove it, it feels like more of a power gain than DPs. I think the JB3 is adjusting and upping boost slightly. Even besides that the throttle response feels much stronger and power is smoother and more immediate. This FMIC is really awesome.

Thank you!!! Someone else that agrees this mod provides more power..... Thank you, my code 3 brother!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
looks good, looks a lot more aggressive with the new fmic
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
twinturbo135i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

most people on this forum will say an aftermarket FMIC won't make more power but I will always beg to differ. aftermarket FMICs are generally more efficient and generally flow better.

that being that, they are making more power no matter what people might say. I remember when I changed my stock FMIC on my '87 Buick Grand National to a much larger unit. this one mod alone dropped my 1/4 mile times from a 12.97 to a 12.50...

so cut color it any way you want, but I would say dropping half a second in the 1/4 most definitely means the engine is making more power.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 04:43 AM   #14
BMW-driver
Drive carefully :)
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 1M Valencia Orange

Wel Twinturbo135i, I am sceptical to about the gains of a another FMIC. But, I ordered the VK Motorwerks FMIC, and it will arrive soon. Some say, no gains will be noticed. Others say - also professional guys(!) - there will be powergais because the 'intercooled' air is colder (more oxigen). Especially if you drive with a higher PSi. The stock FMIC isn't designed for higher psi-numbers. We will see and I will ofcourse tell everybody my results!

have fun
ACS1.35i
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #15
TT1351
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135, GTS, E30 M3+

Quote:
+1. When whomever was doing their dyno runs with the Code3 FMIC, they recorded ZERO horsepower gain with the FMIC installed, but as much as 2 PSI less boost necessary to make the same power.
I have reread this post a few times and kind of get what you are saying, with that being said you almost or maybe do contradict yourself. If you achieve the same power at 2 PSI less with an FMIC, is it not safe to conclude you are indeed making more power, given the same result is not achieved with a stock intercooler? I also kind of read into this quote, that if this is true, at 2 PSI less, would it not be safe to conclude that at full boost the same result would be achieved, maybe not in a linear fashion, but with more power then stock? There is almost an implication that this would not be the case.

I think the addition of an FMIC, (whatever the brand), is not the first mod someone runs off and does. I suspect you may see that most people would install some sort of JB3 or other performance enhancer first, then possibly downpipes, and the intercooler is somewhere down the list. But when they do get one its to take advantage of performance enhancements not as a stand alone upgrade.

I could be wrong but these are just my thoughts. I'm not pointing any fingers here, but there are way to many posts here where someone runs off and installs some enhancement, and assumes the installation comes with a blessing that makes them a bona fide expert on that component and the related results, and they can post anything they want, state it eloquently and there are way to many people reading these posts, taking them as gospel. Bottom line many views and opinions are presented here, but not all are 100% accurate, I feel better now.
Fran
Appreciate 0