BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #23
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Tough to think of the 1M as a tractor for a trailer.

Maybe such questions should prompt a reassessment on one's priorities?
May I assume you've never been to the track?

Check out a HPDE (high performance drivers school) or an event like the One Lap of America and you'll find all manner of high-end sports cars pulling small track trailers.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #24
1M Fan
SMSgt
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupe

Garage List
1012 F150  [0.00]
1971 Chevrolet Nova  [0.00]
2011 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Check out a HPDE (high performance drivers school) or an event like the One Lap of America and you'll find all manner of high-end sports cars pulling small track trailers.

Neil
Yup, it is the only a Miata can get four tires and a jack from point a to point b.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #25
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M Fan View Post
Yup, it is the only a Miata can get four tires and a jack from point a to point b.
Plus brake pads, fluids, misc. spare parts (belts, plugs, etc.), tools, jack stands, clothing, food/drink, helmet, .....

Neil
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2011, 07:32 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
May I assume you've never been to the track?

Neil

and of course the same thing can be seen at parking lots around the globe used for autocross as well...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #27
fueledbymetal
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 6spd, Cayman GTS 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Whatever floats your boat, oh wise one!

Ever thought of breaking your bike down and throwing it in back? Guess not!
Who are you to judge how others seek their enjoyment?

I enjoy driving, I enjoy riding & racing my mountain bike and I enjoy spending time with my kids. A 1M will likely be one of the most fun cars to drive with a back seat. That back seat will regulalry be filled by two child seats and my mountain bike will regulalry be dirty. The extra 20 minutes before and after each ride I'd need to pull/replace the child seats, break down my bike (it has a Lefty fork & therefore does not have a quick release) as well as the extra time I'd need to clean the car after hauling my bike is all time I could spend driving, riding or playing with my kids if I used a trailer hitch for a hitch-mounted bike rack.

Last edited by fueledbymetal; 01-24-2011 at 01:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 01:35 PM   #28
ducturd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ted Danson

It can be done!

Less than 24 hours after taking delivery of my AW 1M, I can confirm the Curt 11184 135i hitch can be mounted to the 1M.

A couple notes:
- The rear exhaust had to be dropped off the two rear hangers in order to move the hitch into position.

- Clearance to the muffler is tight, ~1/8". I used a couple washers on the bottom mount bolts to increase that to about 1/4-3/8". A test drive before reattaching the rear bumper cover revealed no contact between the muffler and hitch with this spacing. I used one washer on each of the top mounting bolts as there's not enough thread for two.

- The driver's side inner exhaust tip has about 1/4" vertical clearance to the crossbar. It's tight and I've only heard it bang once when I went over a jarring bump at speed. I plan to put some sort of padding in there to dampen the contact.

Cheers,
Owen
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:45 PM   #29
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Bmw 228xi Gran Coupe

Garage List
Thank you!
I have had hitches on all my BMWs. I use it to tow my track trailer. Since I have sold my M3 and my Z3 3.0 got wreaked I have really missed using my trailer.

My Son fabricated one for my e46 M3 but that was a lot of work for him. I called all over the country and could find no one to make one for me.
As I used to say to those folk who asked me why I would put a hitch on an M3. "it's my car and I can do anything I want to it". I am so [pleased with you folk who refuse to make these wonderful card something other than a garage queen.

holly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducturd View Post
Less than 24 hours after taking delivery of my
AW 1M, I can confirm the Curt 11184 135i hitch can be mounted to the 1M.

A couple notes:
- The rear exhaust had to be dropped off the two rear hangers in order to move the hitch into position.

- Clearance to the muffler is tight, ~1/8". I used a couple washers on the bottom mount bolts to increase that to about 1/4-3/8". A test drive before reattaching the rear bumper cover revealed no contact between the muffler and hitch with this spacing. I used one washer on each of the top mounting bolts as there's not enough thread for two.

- The driver's side inner exhaust tip has about 1/4" vertical clearance to the crossbar. It's tight and I've only heard it bang once when I went over a jarring bump at speed. I plan to put some sort of padding in there to dampen the contact.

Cheers,
Owen
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #30
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducturd View Post
Less than 24 hours after taking delivery of my AW 1M, I can confirm the Curt 11184 135i hitch can be mounted to the 1M.
Cheers,
Owen
Did you have to cut anything in the bumper cover etc.?

Holly
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #31
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRoboto View Post
Like transporting track tires to and from the track?

ditto!
holly
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:18 PM   #32
ducturd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollysmac View Post
Did you have to cut anything in the bumper cover etc.?

Holly
I did not, the bumper rests snugly on top of the hitch. I'll post a picture up when time permits.

Owen
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #33
hollysmac
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I found a nice ball mount when doing a google search. It is the European ball mount and fits the Curt receiver.

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/74A5614A0A0.aspx
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2011, 05:15 PM   #34
TXmtrhed
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

I had a "hidden hitch" installed by Master Hitch of Houston. The installer talked of fabricating a hitch similar to the Curt but due to the lack of space he ended up just welding a 1-1/4" receiver vertically to the bottom of the existing bumper structure. He had to trim a little off the diffuser but it's completely invisible from the rear. To mount my rack I just use a 'L' shaped adapter he welded up.

I wouldn't be real confident of towing a trailer with this setup - the work was done with a bike rack in mind.

I'll try to load up a picture tonight.
Attached Images

Last edited by TXmtrhed; 08-15-2011 at 08:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #35
ducturd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXmtrhed View Post
I had a "hidden hitch" installed by Master Hitch of Houston. The installer talked of fabricating a hitch similar to the Curt but due to the lack of space he ended up just welding a 1-1/4" receiver vertically to the bottom of the existing bumper structure. He had to trim a little off the diffuser but it's completely invisible from the rear. To mount my rack I just use a 'L' shaped adapter he welded up.

I wouldn't be real confident of towing a trailer with this setup - the work was done with a bike rack in mind.

I'll try to load up a picture tonight.
Ohh! Very clean. Now I want that!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #36
ducturd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Here's some pictures of the Curt hitch with a 1-Up bike carrier mounted.

Appreciate 0